President Calderon wants aggressive Mexico tourism campaign, especially for Cancun holidays
Mexico's President is urging those in the travel industry to work harder at promoting Mexico holidays and raising awareness about Mexico's appeal as a unique holiday destination for beach, sun, ecotourism, history and culture.
Mexico holidays are keen to bounce back after the detrimental effects the global recession and the swine flu virus had on the country’s tourism sector. And this is why the county’s president is getting involved as he recently confirmed his government’s strong and ongoing commitment to restore the Mexico holidays appeal, with special attention to the ever popular Cancun holidays market. Mexican President Felipe Calderon asked the leaders of the country's tourism industry to more aggressively promote Mexico holidays to drive more tourism the country.
"The advantages we have versus the other destinations worldwide are significant" - Calderon assured.
Making a special trip to speak at the opening of the annual Tianguis tourism fair held in Acapulco beach, the Mexican President said the Mexican culture is "original" and unique and what they have to offer to travellers is a rich history spanning 1500 years, complemented by great sunny beaches and beautiful nature reserves. He cited tourist attractions such as pyramids, music, gastronomy and the arts. Talking about the country’s diverse appeal, Calderon then went on to site Mexico's enviable position as fourth in the world for ecotourism (such as the new eco development of the Mayakoba resort which can be visited during Cancun holidays) and its many outstanding locations and facilities that attract worldwide conferences and summits, including international banking, energy and United Nation's meetings.
He said that "the most important aspect we have as Mexico is that hospitality is embedded in us" and for this he quoted the expression "Mi casa es su casa" translating as "my home is your home." Focusing on Mexico's tourism product and the many attributes of Mexico holidays, the President cited other attractions, including a butterfly reserve and swimming with giant whales as examples of unique tourism experiences to be had during Mexico holidays and which need to be better promoted.
"Tourism is a key industry for Mexico's economy," - said Calderon - "for the momentum of economic recovery and, also, crucially, employment and development of Mexico."
During his administration, Calderon has already shown his strong commitment to tourism through investment in real, visible projects. One clearly beneficial project for Cancun holidays is the newly widened beachfront for both holidaymakers and condo owners to enjoy. Another example is the support for the second runway project at Cancun's International Airport, which is facilitating Cancun holidays and the resort's new focus on becoming an international travel and business convention hub – this will likewise bring new interest to the Cancun holidays market, asw well as bringing new real estate and investment opportunities.
Further indicating the President's efforts in making Cancun holidays shine like never before, in the Riviera Maya bridges are being built on the Cancun-Tulum federal highway through places like Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen and Puerto Aventuras, making weekend outings to the Tulum area more convenient. In Tulum itself, another international airport was just announced (the beginning of the bidding process), which will bring even more tourism and real estate opportunities to Cancun holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...