Golf holidays to become an attraction for travel to Cuba
Travellers seeking golf holidays in Cuba may soon find an increase in the number of golf courses available in the region as the Tourism Ministry announce that it is hoping to build ten new courses around the country and help bring golf back to Cuba.
At present, travellers on golf holidays in Cuba can only enjoy the facilities of the Varadero golf course in a beach resort located 137 kilometres east of the country's capital city, Havana, and a seven-hole course in the capital. The government of Cuba are now recognising that by re-introducing golf into the country, it could attract more travellers on Cuba holidays to stay in the countryside as well as in the main cities or coastal resorts, which will lead to a boost in tourism.
The 18-hole course at the Varadero Golf Club played host to two one-day pro-am tournaments recently which features Cuban golfers paired up with wealthy foreigners.Organisers of the event said that this was a small step in a campaign to bring back golf to Cuba after the sport was almost entirely eliminated from the island by the communist government over 48 years ago.
Before Castro came into power, there were approximately 12 high end golf courses in Cuba but the Varadero Golf Club is the only course to be built since Castro's revolution. Many of the existing golf courses were then made into military zones and camps and even a music and dance academy.
The Tourism Ministry have announced that they would like to build ten new courses around the island to attract travellers taking golf holidays in Cuba from Canada, Europe and even the U.S if the trade-embargo is finally lifted by Washington. A number of investors from Europe and Canada have shown interest in constructing golf courses together with luxury accommodation and health spas in Cuba but plans are slow to move forward.
A senior policy analyst at the U.S Economic Trade Council in New York, who advises U.S businesses on trade with Cuba, John Kavulich, said:
"The conflict is imagery versus profit. Concerns are about the image of golfers in the worker's paradise. And, if accepted, how does Granma (the Communist Party newspaper) explain the obese U.S. golfer with poor clothing colour co-ordination, running about in their 'Caddyshack' like golf cart, betting on each hole?"
Officials believe that travellers will still take golf holidays in Cuba despite the state of the world's economy. General Manager of Varadero Golf Club, Jose Tovar said:
"You've got a cigar and you are playing golf with the beach right there. It's perfect."
However, Tovar believes that Cuba can not afford to build any new golf courses especially as it is a globally popular sport. "From a golf course, it's a different view of our country, maybe it's not so cultural," he said. "But it's still Cuba."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...