Golf holidays to become an attraction for travel to Cuba
Travellers seeking golf holidays in Cuba may soon find an increase in the number of golf courses available in the region as the Tourism Ministry announce that it is hoping to build ten new courses around the country and help bring golf back to Cuba.
At present, travellers on golf holidays in Cuba can only enjoy the facilities of the Varadero golf course in a beach resort located 137 kilometres east of the country's capital city, Havana, and a seven-hole course in the capital. The government of Cuba are now recognising that by re-introducing golf into the country, it could attract more travellers on Cuba holidays to stay in the countryside as well as in the main cities or coastal resorts, which will lead to a boost in tourism.
The 18-hole course at the Varadero Golf Club played host to two one-day pro-am tournaments recently which features Cuban golfers paired up with wealthy foreigners.Organisers of the event said that this was a small step in a campaign to bring back golf to Cuba after the sport was almost entirely eliminated from the island by the communist government over 48 years ago.
Before Castro came into power, there were approximately 12 high end golf courses in Cuba but the Varadero Golf Club is the only course to be built since Castro's revolution. Many of the existing golf courses were then made into military zones and camps and even a music and dance academy.
The Tourism Ministry have announced that they would like to build ten new courses around the island to attract travellers taking golf holidays in Cuba from Canada, Europe and even the U.S if the trade-embargo is finally lifted by Washington. A number of investors from Europe and Canada have shown interest in constructing golf courses together with luxury accommodation and health spas in Cuba but plans are slow to move forward.
A senior policy analyst at the U.S Economic Trade Council in New York, who advises U.S businesses on trade with Cuba, John Kavulich, said:
"The conflict is imagery versus profit. Concerns are about the image of golfers in the worker's paradise. And, if accepted, how does Granma (the Communist Party newspaper) explain the obese U.S. golfer with poor clothing colour co-ordination, running about in their 'Caddyshack' like golf cart, betting on each hole?"
Officials believe that travellers will still take golf holidays in Cuba despite the state of the world's economy. General Manager of Varadero Golf Club, Jose Tovar said:
"You've got a cigar and you are playing golf with the beach right there. It's perfect."
However, Tovar believes that Cuba can not afford to build any new golf courses especially as it is a globally popular sport. "From a golf course, it's a different view of our country, maybe it's not so cultural," he said. "But it's still Cuba."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...