Mobile phone industry helping push the Cuba holidays sector
Recent figures revealed by the national Cuban Telecommunications Company (ETECSA) have shown that more and more tourists use their mobile phones during their Cuba holidays, to the point that this has been a factor pushing the island's tourism sector.
According to a recent release by the country’s main telephone cellular network the widespread use of mobile phones has helped boost the tourism sector as well as helping push the Cuba holidays appeal. With the ability of remaining connected during their time in the island being particularly useful to travellers enjoying Cuba holidays, the improvement of Cuba’s mobile network as it expanded enhancing coverage in more remote areas outside the capital of Havana, has meant tourists from all over the world appreciate the convenience of being able to use their mobile phones during their holidays in Cuba.
The island, which is currently predicting it will have at least 2 million mobile phone lines available by 2015, says the tourism industry has benefited tremendously since the expansion of the mobile telephone network which begun only a few years ago. Before that time, Cuba holidays were lagging behind with a total absence of mobile phones when this popular technology trend which was already huge in Europe and the U.S. So it has taken the country a tremendous effort to hurry up and make this technology available in order to keep up with this massive global technology gadget that many of us couldn’t currently live without.
Maximo Lafuente, Vice President of the Mobile Service of the Cuban Telecommunications Company (ETECSA) said that mobile telephone use from visitors who come to the island on Cuba holidays had increased to the point that the company has signed agreement with 300 telecommunication companies worldwide to accommodate the number of tourists visiting the island.
He added that ETECSA hopes to sign 30 more prepaid service agreements this year so that visitors could use their phones under the GSM system.
Meanwhile, the Cuban News Agency, Prensa Latina, said that as much as 70 % of Cuba already has GSM coverage and only 23 of the country's 169 municipalities have no cellular coverage but they were also quick to add that “this problem is to be solved this year”.
At the moment there is a total of 838.372 active services in Cuba's mobile network and ETECSA hopes to end this year by reaching the million figure, Lafuente added.
He also revealed that in 2009, mobile users paid for 2.69 million minutes and this year the figure is expected to reach 2.80 million minutes as more and more Cuban citizens have access to mobile phones and more and more tourists use their mobile phones during their visits to the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...