Mobile phone industry helping push the Cuba holidays sector
Recent figures revealed by the national Cuban Telecommunications Company (ETECSA) have shown that more and more tourists use their mobile phones during their Cuba holidays, to the point that this has been a factor pushing the island's tourism sector.
According to a recent release by the country’s main telephone cellular network the widespread use of mobile phones has helped boost the tourism sector as well as helping push the Cuba holidays appeal. With the ability of remaining connected during their time in the island being particularly useful to travellers enjoying Cuba holidays, the improvement of Cuba’s mobile network as it expanded enhancing coverage in more remote areas outside the capital of Havana, has meant tourists from all over the world appreciate the convenience of being able to use their mobile phones during their holidays in Cuba.
The island, which is currently predicting it will have at least 2 million mobile phone lines available by 2015, says the tourism industry has benefited tremendously since the expansion of the mobile telephone network which begun only a few years ago. Before that time, Cuba holidays were lagging behind with a total absence of mobile phones when this popular technology trend which was already huge in Europe and the U.S. So it has taken the country a tremendous effort to hurry up and make this technology available in order to keep up with this massive global technology gadget that many of us couldn’t currently live without.
Maximo Lafuente, Vice President of the Mobile Service of the Cuban Telecommunications Company (ETECSA) said that mobile telephone use from visitors who come to the island on Cuba holidays had increased to the point that the company has signed agreement with 300 telecommunication companies worldwide to accommodate the number of tourists visiting the island.
He added that ETECSA hopes to sign 30 more prepaid service agreements this year so that visitors could use their phones under the GSM system.
Meanwhile, the Cuban News Agency, Prensa Latina, said that as much as 70 % of Cuba already has GSM coverage and only 23 of the country's 169 municipalities have no cellular coverage but they were also quick to add that “this problem is to be solved this year”.
At the moment there is a total of 838.372 active services in Cuba's mobile network and ETECSA hopes to end this year by reaching the million figure, Lafuente added.
He also revealed that in 2009, mobile users paid for 2.69 million minutes and this year the figure is expected to reach 2.80 million minutes as more and more Cuban citizens have access to mobile phones and more and more tourists use their mobile phones during their visits to the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...