Mobile phone industry helping push the Cuba holidays sector
Recent figures revealed by the national Cuban Telecommunications Company (ETECSA) have shown that more and more tourists use their mobile phones during their Cuba holidays, to the point that this has been a factor pushing the island's tourism sector.
According to a recent release by the country’s main telephone cellular network the widespread use of mobile phones has helped boost the tourism sector as well as helping push the Cuba holidays appeal. With the ability of remaining connected during their time in the island being particularly useful to travellers enjoying Cuba holidays, the improvement of Cuba’s mobile network as it expanded enhancing coverage in more remote areas outside the capital of Havana, has meant tourists from all over the world appreciate the convenience of being able to use their mobile phones during their holidays in Cuba.
The island, which is currently predicting it will have at least 2 million mobile phone lines available by 2015, says the tourism industry has benefited tremendously since the expansion of the mobile telephone network which begun only a few years ago. Before that time, Cuba holidays were lagging behind with a total absence of mobile phones when this popular technology trend which was already huge in Europe and the U.S. So it has taken the country a tremendous effort to hurry up and make this technology available in order to keep up with this massive global technology gadget that many of us couldn’t currently live without.
Maximo Lafuente, Vice President of the Mobile Service of the Cuban Telecommunications Company (ETECSA) said that mobile telephone use from visitors who come to the island on Cuba holidays had increased to the point that the company has signed agreement with 300 telecommunication companies worldwide to accommodate the number of tourists visiting the island.
He added that ETECSA hopes to sign 30 more prepaid service agreements this year so that visitors could use their phones under the GSM system.
Meanwhile, the Cuban News Agency, Prensa Latina, said that as much as 70 % of Cuba already has GSM coverage and only 23 of the country's 169 municipalities have no cellular coverage but they were also quick to add that “this problem is to be solved this year”.
At the moment there is a total of 838.372 active services in Cuba's mobile network and ETECSA hopes to end this year by reaching the million figure, Lafuente added.
He also revealed that in 2009, mobile users paid for 2.69 million minutes and this year the figure is expected to reach 2.80 million minutes as more and more Cuban citizens have access to mobile phones and more and more tourists use their mobile phones during their visits to the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...