Large number of travellers on Mauritius holidays stranded
The eruption of Iceland's volcano not only caused chaos in the UK and Europe, but for many travellers on Mauritius holidays too as flights in and out of the region were backlogged and tourists reluctant to fork out for additional nights accommodation.
Air Mauritius found themselves in mayhem as many flights to Mauritius were cancelled causing a backlog of travellers and flights stranded in various places throughout Europe. A total of thirteen flights were cancelled leaving 7000 passengers taking Mauritius holidays stranded.
A press release from the airline stated:
"Since the resumption of services on 20 April, Air Mauritius has already operated three flights to Paris, one flight to Geneva and one flight to London."
Mauritius itself was struggling as tourists who had enjoyed their Mauritius holidays were stranded on the island and had to extend their stay. Tourists from other regions arrived in Mauritius only to find that their rooms were already occupied by stranded travellers.
An insider from a five star hotel in Mauritius, Le Touessrok, said:
"This week, we had some South African tourists waiting for their room to be cleared, still occupied by those who had had their flights cancelled."
Many tourists who were stranded had been enjoying package holidays but when they were forced to extend their stay, normal room tariffs were considerably higher than their packages. British airspace was closed from Wednesday 14 April as a large cloud of volcanic ash drifted south from Iceland, and opened again on Tuesday 20 April. The ash causes aircraft engines to break down and all flights were grounded as a precaution.
Travellers on Mauritius holidays were not the only ones to lose out financially as thousands of flights were cancelled to and from countries all over the globe.
Director General and Chief Executive of IATA, Giovanni Bisignani, said:
"For an industry that lost $9.4 billion last year and was forecast to lose a further $2.8 billion in 2010, this crisis is devastating."
The flight restrictions backlog is expected to cause continuing travelling delays and it could be a number of weeks before normal services and Mauritius travel is resumed and passengers reach their destination.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Live and breathe the real Mauritius for a week in an intimate boutique hotel set by clear turquoise waters and powdery-soft sands, with great facilities for everyone in the family.
- Features an excellent Children's Club offering great activities for the young ones
- Children stay free when sharing with parents
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Longbeach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
luxury resort ideal for both couples and families
- Click through for our special Honeymoon Offers
- Located on the Bel Ombre's beach the resort is offering own nature reserve to explore
- Guests can benefit from a daily free green fees, mini bar in each room, or the fabulous spa treatments including one free 45-minute spa treatment per person per stay
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
Enjoy the island paradise of Mauritius during an 8-day stay at the luxurious Long Beach Golf Resort & Spa. Occupying the...
Located on the sandy beach of the north-west coast of Mauritius, Les Cocotiers enjoys a close proximity to the island's...
Located in a small village on the Northern coast of Mauritius, Hibiscus Beach Resort and Spa is a dream destination for...
Luxury Oasis Villas is actually situated in grand bay, which is on the north coastline of Mauritius; it's a leading...