Large number of travellers on Mauritius holidays stranded
The eruption of Iceland's volcano not only caused chaos in the UK and Europe, but for many travellers on Mauritius holidays too as flights in and out of the region were backlogged and tourists reluctant to fork out for additional nights accommodation.
Air Mauritius found themselves in mayhem as many flights to Mauritius were cancelled causing a backlog of travellers and flights stranded in various places throughout Europe. A total of thirteen flights were cancelled leaving 7000 passengers taking Mauritius holidays stranded.
A press release from the airline stated:
"Since the resumption of services on 20 April, Air Mauritius has already operated three flights to Paris, one flight to Geneva and one flight to London."
Mauritius itself was struggling as tourists who had enjoyed their Mauritius holidays were stranded on the island and had to extend their stay. Tourists from other regions arrived in Mauritius only to find that their rooms were already occupied by stranded travellers.
An insider from a five star hotel in Mauritius, Le Touessrok, said:
"This week, we had some South African tourists waiting for their room to be cleared, still occupied by those who had had their flights cancelled."
Many tourists who were stranded had been enjoying package holidays but when they were forced to extend their stay, normal room tariffs were considerably higher than their packages. British airspace was closed from Wednesday 14 April as a large cloud of volcanic ash drifted south from Iceland, and opened again on Tuesday 20 April. The ash causes aircraft engines to break down and all flights were grounded as a precaution.
Travellers on Mauritius holidays were not the only ones to lose out financially as thousands of flights were cancelled to and from countries all over the globe.
Director General and Chief Executive of IATA, Giovanni Bisignani, said:
"For an industry that lost $9.4 billion last year and was forecast to lose a further $2.8 billion in 2010, this crisis is devastating."
The flight restrictions backlog is expected to cause continuing travelling delays and it could be a number of weeks before normal services and Mauritius travel is resumed and passengers reach their destination.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
An unrivalled stay where you will be surrounded by its picturesque coastline and lush greenery
- Your own private sandy beach on your doorstep
- Exquisite views wherever you look - from the vibrant green mountains to the glittering Indian Ocean
- Perfect blend of natural beauty and fresh, eye-catching designs
Relax on an 800ft stretch of white-sand beach by turquoise Indian Ocean waters at Le meridien Ile Maurice, the award winning resort in Mauritius
- Enjoy access to a Scuba Diving Centre
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling trips & more
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...