Large number of travellers on Mauritius holidays stranded
The eruption of Iceland's volcano not only caused chaos in the UK and Europe, but for many travellers on Mauritius holidays too as flights in and out of the region were backlogged and tourists reluctant to fork out for additional nights accommodation.
Air Mauritius found themselves in mayhem as many flights to Mauritius were cancelled causing a backlog of travellers and flights stranded in various places throughout Europe. A total of thirteen flights were cancelled leaving 7000 passengers taking Mauritius holidays stranded.
A press release from the airline stated:
"Since the resumption of services on 20 April, Air Mauritius has already operated three flights to Paris, one flight to Geneva and one flight to London."
Mauritius itself was struggling as tourists who had enjoyed their Mauritius holidays were stranded on the island and had to extend their stay. Tourists from other regions arrived in Mauritius only to find that their rooms were already occupied by stranded travellers.
An insider from a five star hotel in Mauritius, Le Touessrok, said:
"This week, we had some South African tourists waiting for their room to be cleared, still occupied by those who had had their flights cancelled."
Many tourists who were stranded had been enjoying package holidays but when they were forced to extend their stay, normal room tariffs were considerably higher than their packages. British airspace was closed from Wednesday 14 April as a large cloud of volcanic ash drifted south from Iceland, and opened again on Tuesday 20 April. The ash causes aircraft engines to break down and all flights were grounded as a precaution.
Travellers on Mauritius holidays were not the only ones to lose out financially as thousands of flights were cancelled to and from countries all over the globe.
Director General and Chief Executive of IATA, Giovanni Bisignani, said:
"For an industry that lost $9.4 billion last year and was forecast to lose a further $2.8 billion in 2010, this crisis is devastating."
The flight restrictions backlog is expected to cause continuing travelling delays and it could be a number of weeks before normal services and Mauritius travel is resumed and passengers reach their destination.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Take delight in the bare necessities of life when you stay at this peaceful retreat, created for body and soul rejuvenation.
- Enjoy delicious seafood barefeet in the sand at L'Ocean restaurant
- Admire beautiful sunsets from the deck around the infinity pool
- Treat yourself with a complimentary Hammam at the Spa Attitude
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. Solana Beach is a luxury 4-star resort that combines natural...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
When you're looking for the perfect holiday, it's nice to have some assurances. As well as being a three star plus...