Egypt holidays in Sharm el Sheikh and Turkey top long & short-haul holiday searches
A recent Greenlight report showed how online search for the terms "Sharm el Sheikh holidays" & "Turkey holidays" had seen an increase in popularity during the April this year. Findings also revealed which travel companies came at the top of searches.
According to the latest Greenlight report by leading UK independent SEO (search engine optimisation) specialist and PPC (pay-per-click) consulting firm, Egypt holidays to Sharm el Sheikh and Turkey proved the two most searched for long-haul and short-haul holiday destinations for UK consumers who went online to find a holiday during the month of February.
With the title ‘Holiday Sector Report – Issue 5’, Greenlight’s report classified 356 of the most popular global holiday destinations that people in the UK choose to travel to between November 2009 – February 2010. In addition, the findings also revealed which search terms internet surfers use to find holidays for each location and assessed how popular each search term was. Ultimately the report also highlighted the 60 most prominent websites and brands in the travel sector and the size of the online audience they reached as a result of having keyword-specific visibility.
The key findings from the report revealed that:
- A total of 8.3 million searches were performed in February 2010 for holiday-related keywords. This signalled a decrease of 23% since January when 10.9 million searches were made
- European holiday destinations accounted for 2.4 million searches in February, indicating a 92% increase from October 2009 volumes
- Directline Holidays, Thomson and Holiday Hypermarket were the 3 most visible holiday websites in natural searches (as opposed to sponsored ads) achieving 66%, 61% and 56% visibility, respectively
- The phrase ‘Turkey holidays’ was searched for 550,000 times, accounting for 23% of all short-haul holiday searches while ‘Cyprus holidays’ and ‘Lanzarote holidays’ followed with 12% and 7%, respectively
- The term comprising the keywords ‘Sharm el Sheikh holidays’ for Egypt holidays in this resort was searched for 368,000 times, accounting for 15% of all long-haul holiday keywords
Furthermore, Greenlight also conducted a detailed level of monitoring and analysis to determine which advertisers appeared in the paid search space (as opposed to natural organic search space). In this case, across the top 90 holiday keywords, First Choice was the most visible advertiser attaining 49% visibility. This was achieved through bidding (paying for the clicks) on 70 keywords, at an average ad position of five. Low Cost Holidays followed with 46% and Thomas Cook with 37%.
Out of the top 10 advertisers in the paid search category, four were big direct providers of Egypt holidays in the UK: First Choice, Thomas Cook, Thomson and Direct Holidays.
Google research has shown that most travel-related queries are performed on Mondays, just as people return to work, with slightly fewer searches for holiday destinations on other weekdays. Overall, the fewest travel-related searches are made over the weekend, with Saturday seeing the least number of queries. However, Greenlight’s research also revealed that on the whole, advertisers failed to recognise the importance of high consumer search activity between Monday and Wednesday, which could, for example, link their customers' search of 'Egypt holidays' to their websites if they had placed more importance on closely monitoring their online Google campaigns during those key weekdays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sharm El Sheikh Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Experience utter luxury as you enjoy eight days of uninterrupted R&R along Egypt's Red Sea shores. But apart from sun...
Egypt's Red Sea coastline is one of the country's leading tourist destinations, especially among UK holidaymakers as it...
Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort nestles into a dramatic headland overlooking the Ras Mohammed National Park. This...