More Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays
The number of Russiant tourists taking Cuba holidays has seen a steady increase over the last few years with this year seeing a whopping 12% increase from the January-February period.
According to a source from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, about 8,700 of holidaymakers from Russia took Cuba holidays during the January-February period in 2010, signalling a 12 % increase when compared against last year’s figures during the same period.
While Russian Itar-Tass agency said in a report that Canada is still at the top of the list when it comes to what foreign country has the largest number of tourists visiting Cuba, the Russian holiday market has showed an increasing interest in taking Cuba holidays over the last few years. During 2007 Cuba achieved their first record-number of Russians who visited the country during leisure trips to explore the country’s intriguing history and culture as a past Soviet ally, while many others simply went for the sun appeal of beach Cuba holidays.
In terms of numbers of visitors from foreign countries, following Canada is Great Britain on the second spot, closely followed by Italy, Spain, Germany and France. Last year 2.43 million people visited Cuba, which represents a 3.5 % increase from 2008, but revenue from that economic sector declined 11 %, largely as a result of the tough global economic times which saw Cuba holidays dramatically lowering their prices in order to keep up with other holiday destinations and remain a competitive Caribbean holiday destination. But with the Russian holiday market experiencing an increasing spending power, Russia could soon be in the Top 10 list of countries with high volumes of tourists going for Cuba holidays.
According to the Cuba National Statistics Office, the total amount of foreign visitors however, declined by 3.4 % in January-February despite the growing number of Russian tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...