More Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays
The number of Russiant tourists taking Cuba holidays has seen a steady increase over the last few years with this year seeing a whopping 12% increase from the January-February period.
According to a source from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, about 8,700 of holidaymakers from Russia took Cuba holidays during the January-February period in 2010, signalling a 12 % increase when compared against last year’s figures during the same period.
While Russian Itar-Tass agency said in a report that Canada is still at the top of the list when it comes to what foreign country has the largest number of tourists visiting Cuba, the Russian holiday market has showed an increasing interest in taking Cuba holidays over the last few years. During 2007 Cuba achieved their first record-number of Russians who visited the country during leisure trips to explore the country’s intriguing history and culture as a past Soviet ally, while many others simply went for the sun appeal of beach Cuba holidays.
In terms of numbers of visitors from foreign countries, following Canada is Great Britain on the second spot, closely followed by Italy, Spain, Germany and France. Last year 2.43 million people visited Cuba, which represents a 3.5 % increase from 2008, but revenue from that economic sector declined 11 %, largely as a result of the tough global economic times which saw Cuba holidays dramatically lowering their prices in order to keep up with other holiday destinations and remain a competitive Caribbean holiday destination. But with the Russian holiday market experiencing an increasing spending power, Russia could soon be in the Top 10 list of countries with high volumes of tourists going for Cuba holidays.
According to the Cuba National Statistics Office, the total amount of foreign visitors however, declined by 3.4 % in January-February despite the growing number of Russian tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...