More Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays
The number of Russiant tourists taking Cuba holidays has seen a steady increase over the last few years with this year seeing a whopping 12% increase from the January-February period.
According to a source from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, about 8,700 of holidaymakers from Russia took Cuba holidays during the January-February period in 2010, signalling a 12 % increase when compared against last year’s figures during the same period.
While Russian Itar-Tass agency said in a report that Canada is still at the top of the list when it comes to what foreign country has the largest number of tourists visiting Cuba, the Russian holiday market has showed an increasing interest in taking Cuba holidays over the last few years. During 2007 Cuba achieved their first record-number of Russians who visited the country during leisure trips to explore the country’s intriguing history and culture as a past Soviet ally, while many others simply went for the sun appeal of beach Cuba holidays.
In terms of numbers of visitors from foreign countries, following Canada is Great Britain on the second spot, closely followed by Italy, Spain, Germany and France. Last year 2.43 million people visited Cuba, which represents a 3.5 % increase from 2008, but revenue from that economic sector declined 11 %, largely as a result of the tough global economic times which saw Cuba holidays dramatically lowering their prices in order to keep up with other holiday destinations and remain a competitive Caribbean holiday destination. But with the Russian holiday market experiencing an increasing spending power, Russia could soon be in the Top 10 list of countries with high volumes of tourists going for Cuba holidays.
According to the Cuba National Statistics Office, the total amount of foreign visitors however, declined by 3.4 % in January-February despite the growing number of Russian tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...