More Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays
The number of Russiant tourists taking Cuba holidays has seen a steady increase over the last few years with this year seeing a whopping 12% increase from the January-February period.
According to a source from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, about 8,700 of holidaymakers from Russia took Cuba holidays during the January-February period in 2010, signalling a 12 % increase when compared against last year’s figures during the same period.
While Russian Itar-Tass agency said in a report that Canada is still at the top of the list when it comes to what foreign country has the largest number of tourists visiting Cuba, the Russian holiday market has showed an increasing interest in taking Cuba holidays over the last few years. During 2007 Cuba achieved their first record-number of Russians who visited the country during leisure trips to explore the country’s intriguing history and culture as a past Soviet ally, while many others simply went for the sun appeal of beach Cuba holidays.
In terms of numbers of visitors from foreign countries, following Canada is Great Britain on the second spot, closely followed by Italy, Spain, Germany and France. Last year 2.43 million people visited Cuba, which represents a 3.5 % increase from 2008, but revenue from that economic sector declined 11 %, largely as a result of the tough global economic times which saw Cuba holidays dramatically lowering their prices in order to keep up with other holiday destinations and remain a competitive Caribbean holiday destination. But with the Russian holiday market experiencing an increasing spending power, Russia could soon be in the Top 10 list of countries with high volumes of tourists going for Cuba holidays.
According to the Cuba National Statistics Office, the total amount of foreign visitors however, declined by 3.4 % in January-February despite the growing number of Russian tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...