More Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays
The number of Russiant tourists taking Cuba holidays has seen a steady increase over the last few years with this year seeing a whopping 12% increase from the January-February period.
According to a source from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, about 8,700 of holidaymakers from Russia took Cuba holidays during the January-February period in 2010, signalling a 12 % increase when compared against last year’s figures during the same period.
While Russian Itar-Tass agency said in a report that Canada is still at the top of the list when it comes to what foreign country has the largest number of tourists visiting Cuba, the Russian holiday market has showed an increasing interest in taking Cuba holidays over the last few years. During 2007 Cuba achieved their first record-number of Russians who visited the country during leisure trips to explore the country’s intriguing history and culture as a past Soviet ally, while many others simply went for the sun appeal of beach Cuba holidays.
In terms of numbers of visitors from foreign countries, following Canada is Great Britain on the second spot, closely followed by Italy, Spain, Germany and France. Last year 2.43 million people visited Cuba, which represents a 3.5 % increase from 2008, but revenue from that economic sector declined 11 %, largely as a result of the tough global economic times which saw Cuba holidays dramatically lowering their prices in order to keep up with other holiday destinations and remain a competitive Caribbean holiday destination. But with the Russian holiday market experiencing an increasing spending power, Russia could soon be in the Top 10 list of countries with high volumes of tourists going for Cuba holidays.
According to the Cuba National Statistics Office, the total amount of foreign visitors however, declined by 3.4 % in January-February despite the growing number of Russian tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...