Stranded tourists on Caribbean holidays provides region with economic boost
As the chaos continues from the ash-spewing volcano in Iceland, which has grounded thousands of flights across the UK and Europe, the Caribbean are receiving an unexpected boost in tourists who are stranded on their Caribbean holidays.
For the first time in a week, today a small number of flights started resuming their services from the UK as British airspace opened its restrictions to air traffic. Last Wednesday, the eruption of a volcano in Iceland caused a large cloud of ash to drift south to the UK, which was impossible and dangerous for aircraft to fly through.
All air traffic was banned by British airspace, causing all airports in the UK and many across Europe to close, leaving thousands of tourists stranded in both the UK and abroad. Many tourists on Caribbean holidays were also stranded and unable to fly back to the UK or Europe which was a positive outcome for many Caribbean hotels and tourism companies.
Hotel managers called in extra staff members and extra purchases of food to accommodate the stranded travellers and many adventure tour operators have been hired to keep guests entertained with a range of exciting activities including golf, tennis, diving, sailing and kayaking.
A spokesman for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Johnson JohnRose explained:
"Some of them may be running out of money, but they still have to stay here and find something to eat and do things."
However, some Caribbean islands including Antigua and Barbados, are not seeing the benefits as many of their tourist are from the UK and are currently stuck at home unable to board flights to take them on their Caribbean holidays. With over 95,000 flights cancelled over the last week, it looks like there may well be a further delay for travellers looking forward to their Antigua holidays and Barbados holidays as the backlog in passengers could affect air travel for a number of weeks yet.
Tourism Minister for Jamaica, Ed Bartlett is delighted by the results saying:
"It really comes at a good time."
With over 2,500 tourists stranded in Jamaica, businesses on the island are benefiting from telecommunication companies to farmers, and local small bed and breakfasts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 20th Sep
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...