Stranded tourists on Caribbean holidays provides region with economic boost
As the chaos continues from the ash-spewing volcano in Iceland, which has grounded thousands of flights across the UK and Europe, the Caribbean are receiving an unexpected boost in tourists who are stranded on their Caribbean holidays.
For the first time in a week, today a small number of flights started resuming their services from the UK as British airspace opened its restrictions to air traffic. Last Wednesday, the eruption of a volcano in Iceland caused a large cloud of ash to drift south to the UK, which was impossible and dangerous for aircraft to fly through.
All air traffic was banned by British airspace, causing all airports in the UK and many across Europe to close, leaving thousands of tourists stranded in both the UK and abroad. Many tourists on Caribbean holidays were also stranded and unable to fly back to the UK or Europe which was a positive outcome for many Caribbean hotels and tourism companies.
Hotel managers called in extra staff members and extra purchases of food to accommodate the stranded travellers and many adventure tour operators have been hired to keep guests entertained with a range of exciting activities including golf, tennis, diving, sailing and kayaking.
A spokesman for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Johnson JohnRose explained:
"Some of them may be running out of money, but they still have to stay here and find something to eat and do things."
However, some Caribbean islands including Antigua and Barbados, are not seeing the benefits as many of their tourist are from the UK and are currently stuck at home unable to board flights to take them on their Caribbean holidays. With over 95,000 flights cancelled over the last week, it looks like there may well be a further delay for travellers looking forward to their Antigua holidays and Barbados holidays as the backlog in passengers could affect air travel for a number of weeks yet.
Tourism Minister for Jamaica, Ed Bartlett is delighted by the results saying:
"It really comes at a good time."
With over 2,500 tourists stranded in Jamaica, businesses on the island are benefiting from telecommunication companies to farmers, and local small bed and breakfasts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...