Stranded tourists on Caribbean holidays provides region with economic boost
As the chaos continues from the ash-spewing volcano in Iceland, which has grounded thousands of flights across the UK and Europe, the Caribbean are receiving an unexpected boost in tourists who are stranded on their Caribbean holidays.
For the first time in a week, today a small number of flights started resuming their services from the UK as British airspace opened its restrictions to air traffic. Last Wednesday, the eruption of a volcano in Iceland caused a large cloud of ash to drift south to the UK, which was impossible and dangerous for aircraft to fly through.
All air traffic was banned by British airspace, causing all airports in the UK and many across Europe to close, leaving thousands of tourists stranded in both the UK and abroad. Many tourists on Caribbean holidays were also stranded and unable to fly back to the UK or Europe which was a positive outcome for many Caribbean hotels and tourism companies.
Hotel managers called in extra staff members and extra purchases of food to accommodate the stranded travellers and many adventure tour operators have been hired to keep guests entertained with a range of exciting activities including golf, tennis, diving, sailing and kayaking.
A spokesman for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Johnson JohnRose explained:
"Some of them may be running out of money, but they still have to stay here and find something to eat and do things."
However, some Caribbean islands including Antigua and Barbados, are not seeing the benefits as many of their tourist are from the UK and are currently stuck at home unable to board flights to take them on their Caribbean holidays. With over 95,000 flights cancelled over the last week, it looks like there may well be a further delay for travellers looking forward to their Antigua holidays and Barbados holidays as the backlog in passengers could affect air travel for a number of weeks yet.
Tourism Minister for Jamaica, Ed Bartlett is delighted by the results saying:
"It really comes at a good time."
With over 2,500 tourists stranded in Jamaica, businesses on the island are benefiting from telecommunication companies to farmers, and local small bed and breakfasts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...