Stranded tourists on Caribbean holidays provides region with economic boost
As the chaos continues from the ash-spewing volcano in Iceland, which has grounded thousands of flights across the UK and Europe, the Caribbean are receiving an unexpected boost in tourists who are stranded on their Caribbean holidays.
For the first time in a week, today a small number of flights started resuming their services from the UK as British airspace opened its restrictions to air traffic. Last Wednesday, the eruption of a volcano in Iceland caused a large cloud of ash to drift south to the UK, which was impossible and dangerous for aircraft to fly through.
All air traffic was banned by British airspace, causing all airports in the UK and many across Europe to close, leaving thousands of tourists stranded in both the UK and abroad. Many tourists on Caribbean holidays were also stranded and unable to fly back to the UK or Europe which was a positive outcome for many Caribbean hotels and tourism companies.
Hotel managers called in extra staff members and extra purchases of food to accommodate the stranded travellers and many adventure tour operators have been hired to keep guests entertained with a range of exciting activities including golf, tennis, diving, sailing and kayaking.
A spokesman for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Johnson JohnRose explained:
"Some of them may be running out of money, but they still have to stay here and find something to eat and do things."
However, some Caribbean islands including Antigua and Barbados, are not seeing the benefits as many of their tourist are from the UK and are currently stuck at home unable to board flights to take them on their Caribbean holidays. With over 95,000 flights cancelled over the last week, it looks like there may well be a further delay for travellers looking forward to their Antigua holidays and Barbados holidays as the backlog in passengers could affect air travel for a number of weeks yet.
Tourism Minister for Jamaica, Ed Bartlett is delighted by the results saying:
"It really comes at a good time."
With over 2,500 tourists stranded in Jamaica, businesses on the island are benefiting from telecommunication companies to farmers, and local small bed and breakfasts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...