Hope grows new airport will boost Riviera Maya holidays popularity
Plans may be moving forward over proposals for a new airport in the Tulum region which will help relieve the over-run Cancun Airport whilst opening up the region to a larger scale of tourism with an increase in travellers on Riviera Maya holidays.
Mexican government officials have been discussing the subject of a new airport in the up and coming region of Tulum for some years now and recognise that it can open up a wealth of opportunities including a rise in visitors booking Riviera Maya holidays and provide an alternative airport for travellers on Cancun holidays.
However, recent movement has been supported by President Felipe Calderon who has called for plans for the new airport to be discussed once again. Calderon said:
"Even more than the jobs created by its construction or operation are the jobs that will be created by having a completely different flow, both quantitatively and qualitatively of tourism towards this zone in the south of Quintana Roo, which has enormous potential."
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the airport is expected to handle over three million passengers each year with flights from all over the world. The site will cover an area of 1,500 hectares situated west of Tulum as well as a new 6km access road. At present, travellers on Riviera Maya holidays have to drive an hour from Cancun Airport in order to reach their Riviera Maya hotels and resorts.
The new airport could bring a rise in tourism to the Tulum region as well as a number of opportunities for vacation-home developments. In order for the airport to go ahead, it will need to be built through private investment, a "concession scheme", and the project will cost approximately 3.2 billion pesos.
If successful, the airport will be the first in Mexico to be developed entirely through private investment. The Mexico and Cancun region is becoming an increasingly popular holiday destination with travellers from all over the world. It offers travellers sunshine, a tropical climate, stunning scenery, world class diving opportunities, and ancient sites and historical attractions, as well as being a tourist destination rich in culture, cuisine, with friendly inhabitants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
This spectacular 5-star hotel faces a pristine beach and boasts luxury amenities and personalised service to provide flawless holiday experiences
- The adults-only Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso is a winner of TripAdvisor Traveller's Choice Awards 2015
- Exclusive privileges include champagne check-in, 24-hour room service, daily stocked mini-bar with guest's favourite beverages and recreational options galore
- Try your swing at the onsite golf course and get 18 holes free per person when staying over 4 nights or two complimentary rounds for stays of 5 nights or longer
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Get away to one of the most exciting tourist destinations on earth, the Riviera Maya. The Secrets Silversands resort...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Take a luxurious and fun-packed 15-day retreat at Mexico's famous Riviera Maya, while you enjoy the many amenities of...