Hope grows new airport will boost Riviera Maya holidays popularity
Plans may be moving forward over proposals for a new airport in the Tulum region which will help relieve the over-run Cancun Airport whilst opening up the region to a larger scale of tourism with an increase in travellers on Riviera Maya holidays.
Mexican government officials have been discussing the subject of a new airport in the up and coming region of Tulum for some years now and recognise that it can open up a wealth of opportunities including a rise in visitors booking Riviera Maya holidays and provide an alternative airport for travellers on Cancun holidays.
However, recent movement has been supported by President Felipe Calderon who has called for plans for the new airport to be discussed once again. Calderon said:
"Even more than the jobs created by its construction or operation are the jobs that will be created by having a completely different flow, both quantitatively and qualitatively of tourism towards this zone in the south of Quintana Roo, which has enormous potential."
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the airport is expected to handle over three million passengers each year with flights from all over the world. The site will cover an area of 1,500 hectares situated west of Tulum as well as a new 6km access road. At present, travellers on Riviera Maya holidays have to drive an hour from Cancun Airport in order to reach their Riviera Maya hotels and resorts.
The new airport could bring a rise in tourism to the Tulum region as well as a number of opportunities for vacation-home developments. In order for the airport to go ahead, it will need to be built through private investment, a "concession scheme", and the project will cost approximately 3.2 billion pesos.
If successful, the airport will be the first in Mexico to be developed entirely through private investment. The Mexico and Cancun region is becoming an increasingly popular holiday destination with travellers from all over the world. It offers travellers sunshine, a tropical climate, stunning scenery, world class diving opportunities, and ancient sites and historical attractions, as well as being a tourist destination rich in culture, cuisine, with friendly inhabitants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Exuding romance and adults-only exclusivity, this luxury retreat will pamper you from head to foot with its indulgent Unlimited Luxury concept.
- Unlimited-Luxury® will give you the celebrity treatment with unlimited premium drinks and gourmet meals
- Relax and rejuvenate at the relax Spa by Pevonia® with a wide range of pampering treatments on offer
- Have the time of your life with exciting parties and endless entertainment
Discover this dream romantic getaway where every luxury is included at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
- Be seduced by sophisticated comforts, elegant design and complimentary green fees at Riviera Maya Golf Club
- Let Unlimited Luxury treat you to fine meals and drinks as well as an array of non-motorised water sports
- Enjoy the 24-hour room service, complimentary daily re-stocked mini bar and free Wi-Fi; it's all there and it's all included
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Get away to one of the most exciting tourist destinations on earth, the Riviera Maya. This resort boasts the timeless...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
The Maya Riviera has been a tourist magnet for many years now; heed the call of this magical destination and enjoy sun...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...