Hope grows new airport will boost Riviera Maya holidays popularity
Plans may be moving forward over proposals for a new airport in the Tulum region which will help relieve the over-run Cancun Airport whilst opening up the region to a larger scale of tourism with an increase in travellers on Riviera Maya holidays.
Mexican government officials have been discussing the subject of a new airport in the up and coming region of Tulum for some years now and recognise that it can open up a wealth of opportunities including a rise in visitors booking Riviera Maya holidays and provide an alternative airport for travellers on Cancun holidays.
However, recent movement has been supported by President Felipe Calderon who has called for plans for the new airport to be discussed once again. Calderon said:
"Even more than the jobs created by its construction or operation are the jobs that will be created by having a completely different flow, both quantitatively and qualitatively of tourism towards this zone in the south of Quintana Roo, which has enormous potential."
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the airport is expected to handle over three million passengers each year with flights from all over the world. The site will cover an area of 1,500 hectares situated west of Tulum as well as a new 6km access road. At present, travellers on Riviera Maya holidays have to drive an hour from Cancun Airport in order to reach their Riviera Maya hotels and resorts.
The new airport could bring a rise in tourism to the Tulum region as well as a number of opportunities for vacation-home developments. In order for the airport to go ahead, it will need to be built through private investment, a "concession scheme", and the project will cost approximately 3.2 billion pesos.
If successful, the airport will be the first in Mexico to be developed entirely through private investment. The Mexico and Cancun region is becoming an increasingly popular holiday destination with travellers from all over the world. It offers travellers sunshine, a tropical climate, stunning scenery, world class diving opportunities, and ancient sites and historical attractions, as well as being a tourist destination rich in culture, cuisine, with friendly inhabitants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Intimate wine cellar offering international premium brand wine selections
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
Discover this dream romantic getaway where every luxury is included at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy the 24-hour room service, complimentary daily re-stocked mini bar and free WiFi; it's all there and it's all included
- Let Unlimited Luxury treat you to fine meals and drinks as well as an array of non-motorised water sports
- Be seduced by sophisticated comforts, elegant design and complimentary green fees at Riviera Maya Golf Club
Submit to the charms of the picturesque Riviera Maya as you spend eight days exploring this unique district in the...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Get away to one of the most exciting tourist destinations on earth, the Riviera Maya. This resort boasts the timeless...
Take a trip to the Mayan Riviera and discover another side of Mother Nature you've never seen. Your two weeks in this...
Make the beautiful Riviera Maya region of Mexico your home away from home and experience the coastal holiday you've...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...