Hope grows new airport will boost Riviera Maya holidays popularity
Plans may be moving forward over proposals for a new airport in the Tulum region which will help relieve the over-run Cancun Airport whilst opening up the region to a larger scale of tourism with an increase in travellers on Riviera Maya holidays.
Mexican government officials have been discussing the subject of a new airport in the up and coming region of Tulum for some years now and recognise that it can open up a wealth of opportunities including a rise in visitors booking Riviera Maya holidays and provide an alternative airport for travellers on Cancun holidays.
However, recent movement has been supported by President Felipe Calderon who has called for plans for the new airport to be discussed once again. Calderon said:
"Even more than the jobs created by its construction or operation are the jobs that will be created by having a completely different flow, both quantitatively and qualitatively of tourism towards this zone in the south of Quintana Roo, which has enormous potential."
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the airport is expected to handle over three million passengers each year with flights from all over the world. The site will cover an area of 1,500 hectares situated west of Tulum as well as a new 6km access road. At present, travellers on Riviera Maya holidays have to drive an hour from Cancun Airport in order to reach their Riviera Maya hotels and resorts.
The new airport could bring a rise in tourism to the Tulum region as well as a number of opportunities for vacation-home developments. In order for the airport to go ahead, it will need to be built through private investment, a "concession scheme", and the project will cost approximately 3.2 billion pesos.
If successful, the airport will be the first in Mexico to be developed entirely through private investment. The Mexico and Cancun region is becoming an increasingly popular holiday destination with travellers from all over the world. It offers travellers sunshine, a tropical climate, stunning scenery, world class diving opportunities, and ancient sites and historical attractions, as well as being a tourist destination rich in culture, cuisine, with friendly inhabitants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
Relish unlimited luxury on tap in Mexico's Riviera Maya at Dreams Tulum with a fantastic Suite Upgrade
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The resort is less than 15 minutes' taxi ride from the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere",
- Take advantage of a fantastic 5 tier room upgrade from a Deluxe Garden View Room to Premium Junior Suite Garden View
- Facilities include a private beach, two swimming pools with weekly pool parties, and beach and water volleyball courts
- Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa's Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive package allows access to its nine restaurants with no reservations required. There are also seven bars, including the Manatees swim-up pool bar.
Stay right next to the world's second largest coral reef, in an idyllic setting that's also been declared a National Park.
- You'll be fantastically placed within walking distance to Puerto Morales, a quaint fishing village
- The tranquil National Park and beachfront setting that boasts the world's second largest coral reef
- French, Mediterranean, Asian and Mexican delights will tempt your palate at the resort's array of restaurants
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Look out over the glistening Caribbean Sea from your luxurious suite, before heading out to enjoy one of the many activities on offer
- With 9 dining options there is something to suit every taste
- An adults-only hideaway, boasting ultimate tranquility
- Relish soothing treatments and massages, with stunning views, at an award-winning spa
Make the beautiful Riviera Maya region of Mexico your home away from home and experience the coastal holiday you've...
Submit to the charms of the picturesque Riviera Maya as you spend eight days exploring this unique district in the...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. Set just south of the Yucatan Peninsula, this...
Take a trip to the Mayan Riviera and discover another side of Mother Nature you've never seen. Your two weeks in this...