Hope grows new airport will boost Riviera Maya holidays popularity
Plans may be moving forward over proposals for a new airport in the Tulum region which will help relieve the over-run Cancun Airport whilst opening up the region to a larger scale of tourism with an increase in travellers on Riviera Maya holidays.
Mexican government officials have been discussing the subject of a new airport in the up and coming region of Tulum for some years now and recognise that it can open up a wealth of opportunities including a rise in visitors booking Riviera Maya holidays and provide an alternative airport for travellers on Cancun holidays.
However, recent movement has been supported by President Felipe Calderon who has called for plans for the new airport to be discussed once again. Calderon said:
"Even more than the jobs created by its construction or operation are the jobs that will be created by having a completely different flow, both quantitatively and qualitatively of tourism towards this zone in the south of Quintana Roo, which has enormous potential."
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the airport is expected to handle over three million passengers each year with flights from all over the world. The site will cover an area of 1,500 hectares situated west of Tulum as well as a new 6km access road. At present, travellers on Riviera Maya holidays have to drive an hour from Cancun Airport in order to reach their Riviera Maya hotels and resorts.
The new airport could bring a rise in tourism to the Tulum region as well as a number of opportunities for vacation-home developments. In order for the airport to go ahead, it will need to be built through private investment, a "concession scheme", and the project will cost approximately 3.2 billion pesos.
If successful, the airport will be the first in Mexico to be developed entirely through private investment. The Mexico and Cancun region is becoming an increasingly popular holiday destination with travellers from all over the world. It offers travellers sunshine, a tropical climate, stunning scenery, world class diving opportunities, and ancient sites and historical attractions, as well as being a tourist destination rich in culture, cuisine, with friendly inhabitants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Discover this dream romantic getaway where every luxury is included at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Be seduced by sophisticated comforts, elegant design and complimentary green fees at Riviera Maya Golf Club
- Let Unlimited Luxury treat you to fine meals and drinks as well as an array of non-motorised water sports
- Enjoy the 24-hour room service, complimentary daily re-stocked mini bar and free Wi-Fi; it's all there and it's all included
Look out over the glistening Caribbean Sea from your luxurious suite, before heading out to enjoy one of the many activities on offer
- With 9 dining options there is something to suit every taste
- An adults-only hideaway, boasting ultimate tranquility
- Relish soothing treatments and massages, with stunning views, at an award-winning spa
Get away to one of the most exciting tourist destinations on earth, the Riviera Maya. This resort boasts the timeless...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Take a trip to the Mayan Riviera and discover another side of Mother Nature you've never seen. Your two weeks in this...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...