Four Seasons debut provides Abu Dhabi holidays on Sowwah Island
Despite plans six years ago to build a Dubai hotel, The Four Seasons have announced that a new hotel planned for Sowwah Island, which will provide guests with luxury Abu Dhabi holidays, is likely to be the first property in the United Arab Emirates.
Four Seasons have announced that the new addition to luxury Abu Dhabi hotels will be developed by Mubadala Development, the investment arm of the Abu Dhabi Government, and will feature 200 luxury rooms and suites aimed towards high end travellers on Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips.
The new hotel is scheduled to be built within the capital's new business district on Sowwah Island and will also feature 125 separate apartments.
Jim FitzGibbon, the president of worldwide hotel operations for Four Seasons, said:
"Abu Dhabi is particularly interesting. The approach that Abu Dhabi is taking seems to be very fascinating, in their culture approach, their quality approach. It really fits very well with Four Seasons."
Four Seasons had previously announced six years ago that they would be entering the market of Dubai hotels with a property planned to be built in Festival City which would accompany Al Badia golf course, but more recently Mr FitzGibbon said that "nothing was imminent".
"We'll be in Dubai. It'll just be at the opportune time. We had a mutual agreement that it wasn't practical at this time and we decided that we'll stay in contact, but we'll pursue other things. We don't have a signed agreement in Dubai. We have a signed agreement in Abu Dhabi, and we'll focus on getting Abu Dhabi built, but Dubai is an opportunity."
Design work for the Sowwah Island hotel has been completed and is scheduled to open to guests on Abu Dhabi holidays by 2013.
Mr FitzGibbon said:
"Relative to an area like that I don't think the development as we see it is too aggressive," he said. "I think it's catching up a little bit, to be frank. This is going to be a significant destination long term."
The Four Seasons currently operates luxury properties in Doha and Riyadh and have plans to build hotels in countries across the region including Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Jordan.
"There's a maturity happening in this part of the world that wasn't there 10 or 15 years ago, and it's becoming a natural access of the world for trade, travel and leisure, so you have an interesting shift,"
Mr FitzGibbon continued. Commenting on the affects of the recent global recession, he added:
"There's no question that we've gone through a difficult time. The market around the world has been particularly difficult. The development process slowed down a bit but now it has picked back up again. Occupancy is coming back fairly aggressively in most markets of the world, with Asia being the leader. I think it'll take us another two years to get back to the peaks of ."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Surround yourself with unspoiled beauty at the luxurious Saadiyat Rotana Resort & Villas
- Authentic flavours from around the world with seven modern, stylish and creative dining venues
- All rooms and suites boast elegant interiors, luxury facilities and reflect the warmth of a beachfront home
- Beachside retreat surrounded by natural beauty, architectural splendour, and cultural experiences
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover two destination in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the marina shopping mall
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Stay in Downtown Abu Dhabi and be pampered by Arabian hospitality. The Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi offers excellent service...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...