Working on preventing marine pollution to maintain crystal-clear Caribbean holidays
Starting 1st May, 2010 the Caribbean will abide by MARPOL 73/78's guidelines for the preservation of marine eco-systems. Under the new code of conduct the Caribbean will ban the pouring of oil and all toxic waste in the sea.
To ensure the continuity of Caribbean holidays and the beauty of its glimmering turquoise waters, crystal clear rivers and waterfalls, the Caribbean region will be the latest to join the list of countries in the world under the MARPOL 73/78 programme for the effective control of marine pollution.
By adopting MARPOL 73/78’s resolutions and eco-friendly guidelines for the safeguarding of its tropical waters, the Caribbean will be the sixth region of the world protected from the indiscriminate dumping of toxic waste. The MARPOL 73/78 is an international agreement to prevent pollution from ships and protecting the seas’ ecosystems and keep the diversity of existing marine life before more and more species suffer the risk of becoming extinct due to the contamination threats.
As of 1st May, 2010 under the programme’s resolutions the Caribbean will be banning the pouring of oil, sewage, garbage, noxious liquid substances carried in bulk, in packages, containers, portable tanks and tank-trucks or tank-wagons into the sea.
To reinforce this, the International Committee for the Protection of Marine Environment also called on governments and industries of the area to implement the measures established to protect special areas from pollution, stating that it wasn’t enough to effectively implement MARPOL’S guidelines if Caribbean holidays wanted to preserve the beauty of their marine life and look after their bio-marine riches.
Even when this is an important step for Caribbean holidays and the environmental protection of their waters, a lot more can still be done to ensure the preservation of the region’s colourful and rich coral life, and this is the message that the Protection of Marine Environment wanted to get across.
So far, the North and Mediterranean Baltic Sea, the Antarctic area and the Gulf are places that abide by MARPOL 73/78’s code of conduct, as in these waters it is prohibited to dump contaminated waste.
The Caribbean adopted the MARPOL 73/78 guidelines after the main ports of several countries in the region were prepared with suitable containers for collecting waste from ships.
A critical step for preserving Caribbean holidays and their marine gems, the dumping of toxic waste is also a serious threat to the health and sustenance of more than 41 million inhabitants in those territories, who depend on activities such as fishing and tourism, which are their main sources of subsistence and foreign exchange.
Furthermore, it also threatens the existence of the Caribbean Sea's various ecosystems, the source of a wide variety of plants and endemic animals and 9% of the world's coral reefs. So now worldwide travellers can have peace of mind when travelling to the tropics, knowing that the Caribbean is doing their bit to protect the eco-sustainability of Caribbean holidays and its many marine riches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...