Working on preventing marine pollution to maintain crystal-clear Caribbean holidays
Starting 1st May, 2010 the Caribbean will abide by MARPOL 73/78's guidelines for the preservation of marine eco-systems. Under the new code of conduct the Caribbean will ban the pouring of oil and all toxic waste in the sea.
To ensure the continuity of Caribbean holidays and the beauty of its glimmering turquoise waters, crystal clear rivers and waterfalls, the Caribbean region will be the latest to join the list of countries in the world under the MARPOL 73/78 programme for the effective control of marine pollution.
By adopting MARPOL 73/78’s resolutions and eco-friendly guidelines for the safeguarding of its tropical waters, the Caribbean will be the sixth region of the world protected from the indiscriminate dumping of toxic waste. The MARPOL 73/78 is an international agreement to prevent pollution from ships and protecting the seas’ ecosystems and keep the diversity of existing marine life before more and more species suffer the risk of becoming extinct due to the contamination threats.
As of 1st May, 2010 under the programme’s resolutions the Caribbean will be banning the pouring of oil, sewage, garbage, noxious liquid substances carried in bulk, in packages, containers, portable tanks and tank-trucks or tank-wagons into the sea.
To reinforce this, the International Committee for the Protection of Marine Environment also called on governments and industries of the area to implement the measures established to protect special areas from pollution, stating that it wasn’t enough to effectively implement MARPOL’S guidelines if Caribbean holidays wanted to preserve the beauty of their marine life and look after their bio-marine riches.
Even when this is an important step for Caribbean holidays and the environmental protection of their waters, a lot more can still be done to ensure the preservation of the region’s colourful and rich coral life, and this is the message that the Protection of Marine Environment wanted to get across.
So far, the North and Mediterranean Baltic Sea, the Antarctic area and the Gulf are places that abide by MARPOL 73/78’s code of conduct, as in these waters it is prohibited to dump contaminated waste.
The Caribbean adopted the MARPOL 73/78 guidelines after the main ports of several countries in the region were prepared with suitable containers for collecting waste from ships.
A critical step for preserving Caribbean holidays and their marine gems, the dumping of toxic waste is also a serious threat to the health and sustenance of more than 41 million inhabitants in those territories, who depend on activities such as fishing and tourism, which are their main sources of subsistence and foreign exchange.
Furthermore, it also threatens the existence of the Caribbean Sea's various ecosystems, the source of a wide variety of plants and endemic animals and 9% of the world's coral reefs. So now worldwide travellers can have peace of mind when travelling to the tropics, knowing that the Caribbean is doing their bit to protect the eco-sustainability of Caribbean holidays and its many marine riches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...