Bartlett predicts increase in Jamaica Holidays for 2010
Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett has predicted an optimistic forecast amidst turbulent economic times, saying that the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays or visiting the Caribbean region this year is expected to increase by six percent.
The forecast came after the region saw a 3.6 percent rise in visitor arrivals and number of tourists booking Jamaica holidays during an economically challenging period last year. The success of Jamaica's tourism arrivals in 2009 has enabled the region to sit high on the list in comparison to nearby English-speaking Caribbean areas which saw a decline in visitors going on Caribbean holidays.
The number of travellers enjoying Barbados holidays declined by 8.7 percent; Cancun 15.6 percent; the Bahamas 11.4 percent; and the Cayman Islands by 10.2 percent. Despite the gloomy results for some Caribbean islands, Cuba saw a 3.5 percent increase in visitors and tourist arrivals to the Dominican Republic increased by 0.3 percent.
The United Nations World Tourism Organisation has also predicted that international tourism is likely to rise by three or four percent in 2010. Tourism officials are hoping that the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays this year will meet the target set for two million arrivals which will help the region, including local businesses and Jamaica hotels, to recover from the effects of the recent global recession.
Jamaica's Minister of Tourism Mr. Edmund Bartlett told parliamentary colleagues that the winter season so far had recorded 70,000 visitors to Jamaica. He added:
"And the month of March was spectacular! We had an all-time record number of arrivals at 12.7 per cent over last year."
The growth in the tourism and travel sector has also had knock-on effects for Jamaica's employment industry with a three percent increase in tourism jobs last year and a further 2,250 positions becoming available on the island once the new Secret Resorts and Palmyra projects are up and running. Jamaica is located in the Caribbean Sea south of Cuba and attracts tourists from all over the world on luxury holidays, weddings abroad and romantic honeymoons.
The tropical island comprises white sandy beaches, the Blue Mountains, lagoons, waterfalls, winding rivers, lush forests and a warm tropical climate perfect for sun-seekers on Jamaica holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...