Bartlett predicts increase in Jamaica Holidays for 2010
Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett has predicted an optimistic forecast amidst turbulent economic times, saying that the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays or visiting the Caribbean region this year is expected to increase by six percent.
The forecast came after the region saw a 3.6 percent rise in visitor arrivals and number of tourists booking Jamaica holidays during an economically challenging period last year. The success of Jamaica's tourism arrivals in 2009 has enabled the region to sit high on the list in comparison to nearby English-speaking Caribbean areas which saw a decline in visitors going on Caribbean holidays.
The number of travellers enjoying Barbados holidays declined by 8.7 percent; Cancun 15.6 percent; the Bahamas 11.4 percent; and the Cayman Islands by 10.2 percent. Despite the gloomy results for some Caribbean islands, Cuba saw a 3.5 percent increase in visitors and tourist arrivals to the Dominican Republic increased by 0.3 percent.
The United Nations World Tourism Organisation has also predicted that international tourism is likely to rise by three or four percent in 2010. Tourism officials are hoping that the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays this year will meet the target set for two million arrivals which will help the region, including local businesses and Jamaica hotels, to recover from the effects of the recent global recession.
Jamaica's Minister of Tourism Mr. Edmund Bartlett told parliamentary colleagues that the winter season so far had recorded 70,000 visitors to Jamaica. He added:
"And the month of March was spectacular! We had an all-time record number of arrivals at 12.7 per cent over last year."
The growth in the tourism and travel sector has also had knock-on effects for Jamaica's employment industry with a three percent increase in tourism jobs last year and a further 2,250 positions becoming available on the island once the new Secret Resorts and Palmyra projects are up and running. Jamaica is located in the Caribbean Sea south of Cuba and attracts tourists from all over the world on luxury holidays, weddings abroad and romantic honeymoons.
The tropical island comprises white sandy beaches, the Blue Mountains, lagoons, waterfalls, winding rivers, lush forests and a warm tropical climate perfect for sun-seekers on Jamaica holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...