Joint Cayman Islands holidays and Cuba holidays on the horizon as both Caribbean destinations discuss tourism partnership
With the aim of creating twin destination holidays between Cuba and The Cayman Islands, these two Caribbean countries have begun talks and negotiations about a partnership to offer twin destination tourism to and from these two islands.
Looking at the prospect of creating twin Caribbean holidays between these two popular holiday destinations in the tropics, Cuba and The Cayman Islands have begun negotiations about a possible partnership for twin destination tourism.
According to an official statement released by Cayman Islands’ premier’s office, McKeeva Bush, he led a delegation last week to Cuba in order to engage in exploratory talks with the Cuban government and the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia as they looked at ways of merging these two destinations for twin-centre Cuba holidays and Cayman holidays.
Bush declared that he had started pursuing the idea of multi-destination packages combining it with Cuba holidays when he last served as Leader of Government Business but he said “nothing was done after 2005” and the opportunity was lost at the time.
But now, eager to re-engage talks with the Cuba holiday market and negotiate with Cuban tourism authorities, in his role as Minister of Tourism Bush and the CIG delegation met with the Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, and executives of Sol Melia.
According to officials the talks mark the first step in attracting more European and Canadian visitors to Cayman holidays and adding a new hotel brand for the Islands – in particular Cayman Brac. Further talks also included potential cruise tourism originating from Cuba with Cayman holidays being the final destination.
The aim of this partnership would be to promote a two-destination Cayman-Cuba travel package whereby tourists can take two holidays in one visiting Cuba and the Cayman Islands. Other Caribbean holidays destinations already making the most of liaising with the attractive Cuba holidays market include The Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica, which are among the countries that already have a multi-destination partnership with Cuba, allowing them to tap into the two million tourists taking Cuba holidays annually.
"A tourism partnership with Cuba gives us the ability to significantly increase our share of the European market which might otherwise be difficult for Cayman to achieve,” - Bush explained. Out of the 2.5 million tourists that Cuba received during 2009, 60 percent originated from Europe and 30 percent from Canada. European tourists are known for taking longer vacations than American tourists, making them ideal multi-destination prospects.
On its part, Sol Melia currently operates 313 hotels in 27 countries across four continents. With hotels rating from 3, 4 to 5 stars it is the largest resort hotel chain in the world, a leading brand in the region and well established in Cuba with a large number of Cuba hotels.
Both of these Caribbean holiday destinations would greatly benefit from this fusion, as it would create a new incentive for visitors on Cuba holidays to see other Caribbean destinations and more importantly, it would enhance the appeal of holidays to the Cayman Islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...