Joint Cayman Islands holidays and Cuba holidays on the horizon as both Caribbean destinations discuss tourism partnership
With the aim of creating twin destination holidays between Cuba and The Cayman Islands, these two Caribbean countries have begun talks and negotiations about a partnership to offer twin destination tourism to and from these two islands.
Looking at the prospect of creating twin Caribbean holidays between these two popular holiday destinations in the tropics, Cuba and The Cayman Islands have begun negotiations about a possible partnership for twin destination tourism.
According to an official statement released by Cayman Islands’ premier’s office, McKeeva Bush, he led a delegation last week to Cuba in order to engage in exploratory talks with the Cuban government and the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia as they looked at ways of merging these two destinations for twin-centre Cuba holidays and Cayman holidays.
Bush declared that he had started pursuing the idea of multi-destination packages combining it with Cuba holidays when he last served as Leader of Government Business but he said “nothing was done after 2005” and the opportunity was lost at the time.
But now, eager to re-engage talks with the Cuba holiday market and negotiate with Cuban tourism authorities, in his role as Minister of Tourism Bush and the CIG delegation met with the Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, and executives of Sol Melia.
According to officials the talks mark the first step in attracting more European and Canadian visitors to Cayman holidays and adding a new hotel brand for the Islands – in particular Cayman Brac. Further talks also included potential cruise tourism originating from Cuba with Cayman holidays being the final destination.
The aim of this partnership would be to promote a two-destination Cayman-Cuba travel package whereby tourists can take two holidays in one visiting Cuba and the Cayman Islands. Other Caribbean holidays destinations already making the most of liaising with the attractive Cuba holidays market include The Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica, which are among the countries that already have a multi-destination partnership with Cuba, allowing them to tap into the two million tourists taking Cuba holidays annually.
"A tourism partnership with Cuba gives us the ability to significantly increase our share of the European market which might otherwise be difficult for Cayman to achieve,” - Bush explained. Out of the 2.5 million tourists that Cuba received during 2009, 60 percent originated from Europe and 30 percent from Canada. European tourists are known for taking longer vacations than American tourists, making them ideal multi-destination prospects.
On its part, Sol Melia currently operates 313 hotels in 27 countries across four continents. With hotels rating from 3, 4 to 5 stars it is the largest resort hotel chain in the world, a leading brand in the region and well established in Cuba with a large number of Cuba hotels.
Both of these Caribbean holiday destinations would greatly benefit from this fusion, as it would create a new incentive for visitors on Cuba holidays to see other Caribbean destinations and more importantly, it would enhance the appeal of holidays to the Cayman Islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...