Joint Cayman Islands holidays and Cuba holidays on the horizon as both Caribbean destinations discuss tourism partnership
With the aim of creating twin destination holidays between Cuba and The Cayman Islands, these two Caribbean countries have begun talks and negotiations about a partnership to offer twin destination tourism to and from these two islands.
Looking at the prospect of creating twin Caribbean holidays between these two popular holiday destinations in the tropics, Cuba and The Cayman Islands have begun negotiations about a possible partnership for twin destination tourism.
According to an official statement released by Cayman Islands’ premier’s office, McKeeva Bush, he led a delegation last week to Cuba in order to engage in exploratory talks with the Cuban government and the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia as they looked at ways of merging these two destinations for twin-centre Cuba holidays and Cayman holidays.
Bush declared that he had started pursuing the idea of multi-destination packages combining it with Cuba holidays when he last served as Leader of Government Business but he said “nothing was done after 2005” and the opportunity was lost at the time.
But now, eager to re-engage talks with the Cuba holiday market and negotiate with Cuban tourism authorities, in his role as Minister of Tourism Bush and the CIG delegation met with the Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, and executives of Sol Melia.
According to officials the talks mark the first step in attracting more European and Canadian visitors to Cayman holidays and adding a new hotel brand for the Islands – in particular Cayman Brac. Further talks also included potential cruise tourism originating from Cuba with Cayman holidays being the final destination.
The aim of this partnership would be to promote a two-destination Cayman-Cuba travel package whereby tourists can take two holidays in one visiting Cuba and the Cayman Islands. Other Caribbean holidays destinations already making the most of liaising with the attractive Cuba holidays market include The Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica, which are among the countries that already have a multi-destination partnership with Cuba, allowing them to tap into the two million tourists taking Cuba holidays annually.
"A tourism partnership with Cuba gives us the ability to significantly increase our share of the European market which might otherwise be difficult for Cayman to achieve,” - Bush explained. Out of the 2.5 million tourists that Cuba received during 2009, 60 percent originated from Europe and 30 percent from Canada. European tourists are known for taking longer vacations than American tourists, making them ideal multi-destination prospects.
On its part, Sol Melia currently operates 313 hotels in 27 countries across four continents. With hotels rating from 3, 4 to 5 stars it is the largest resort hotel chain in the world, a leading brand in the region and well established in Cuba with a large number of Cuba hotels.
Both of these Caribbean holiday destinations would greatly benefit from this fusion, as it would create a new incentive for visitors on Cuba holidays to see other Caribbean destinations and more importantly, it would enhance the appeal of holidays to the Cayman Islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...