The U. S. - Cuba Travel Summit held in Cancun ended successfully
During last month's U.S. - Cuba Travel Summit held in Cancun both parties signalled a successful outcome as they engaged in fruitful talks over the possibilities of Cuban tourism being accessible to American travel companies and American travellers.
The U. S. - Cuba Travel Summit that took place in Cancun last month, was said to have ended on a high note as participants hailed the possibility of Cuba holidays for American citizens. According to the National Tour Association (NTA) after the meeting the resulting reports reflected the expansive and growing tourism product Cuba holidays possess.
"Both government and travel industry leaders described the prospective business opportunities on the island to a packed house of United States tourism business professionals" - added an international press source attending the event in Cancun
During the meeting, Cuban Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz, outlined the growth of Cuba hotels and the increase of the island’s room inventory throughout Cuba, including many four and five star properties. He also mentioned a significant number of joint projects with international investors giving a boost to the Cuba holidays package, as well as the expansion of Cuba's airports which went from 3 to 10. Other additions included a new fleet of motor coaches and over 10,000 rental cars, fishing and sailing vessels, beaches along all shores, cultural and heritage sites and a variety of eco-tourism sites for green Cuba holidays. Marrero also talked about the many open opportunities worldwide for joint investment projects, especially in the area of hotel management and resorts with the development of new Cuba hotels.
Lisa Simon, President of the NTA (U.S. National Tour Association) declared - "The Cubans have provided us with a fairly complete picture of their tourism product and future opportunities for U.S. businesses to work in this market. We are very excited to have this information and look forward to a follow up conference next year in Cuba, should the legislation pending in Congress be approved"
In the meantime, Senator Byron Dorgan (from North Dakota) when addressing the Summit by teleconference, expressed his confidence that the current bill (S 428), authrorising open U.S. travel to Cuba, could meet the 60 vote threshold needed in the Senate this year for it to pass. He then asked the Cuban delegates to assist them in the movement of the legislation by helping resolve controversies that could impede passage and would thus crush the high hopes of Cuba holidays for American citizens.
Other five panels on Cuba's behalf supplemented Minister Marrero's presentation with Miguel Figueras, senior advisor to the Minister of Tourism, providing a statistical analysis of Cuba's tourism growth and the Cuba holidays boom. Katia Alonzo, director of the Ministry of Foreign Trade & Investment, gave details on a broad range of investment opportunities and information on laws, responsibilities, taxes and profit potential for foreign investors. On the other hand, first Vice President of the Cuban Institute of Civil Aeronautics Argimiro Ojeda addressed the utilisation of airport development and aeronautic technology while First Vice Minister of the Ministry of Transportation Joel Archer highlighted ports, cruise activity, potential growth and highway improvement for improved groundhandling services for more hassle-free Cuba holidays.
Travel sector leaders from Gaviota (an ecotourism focused Cuban company), Havanatur, SanCristobal, Palmares, Cubanacan, Gran Caribe, Oasis Hotels and Sol Media Cuba— all of which operate either receptive tourism services, Cuba hotels, or both— and Marinas Marlin, a deep sea fishing operator that provided information of interest about Cuba holidays to the U.S. delegates.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...