The U. S. - Cuba Travel Summit held in Cancun ended successfully
During last month's U.S. - Cuba Travel Summit held in Cancun both parties signalled a successful outcome as they engaged in fruitful talks over the possibilities of Cuban tourism being accessible to American travel companies and American travellers.
The U. S. - Cuba Travel Summit that took place in Cancun last month, was said to have ended on a high note as participants hailed the possibility of Cuba holidays for American citizens. According to the National Tour Association (NTA) after the meeting the resulting reports reflected the expansive and growing tourism product Cuba holidays possess.
"Both government and travel industry leaders described the prospective business opportunities on the island to a packed house of United States tourism business professionals" - added an international press source attending the event in Cancun
During the meeting, Cuban Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz, outlined the growth of Cuba hotels and the increase of the island’s room inventory throughout Cuba, including many four and five star properties. He also mentioned a significant number of joint projects with international investors giving a boost to the Cuba holidays package, as well as the expansion of Cuba's airports which went from 3 to 10. Other additions included a new fleet of motor coaches and over 10,000 rental cars, fishing and sailing vessels, beaches along all shores, cultural and heritage sites and a variety of eco-tourism sites for green Cuba holidays. Marrero also talked about the many open opportunities worldwide for joint investment projects, especially in the area of hotel management and resorts with the development of new Cuba hotels.
Lisa Simon, President of the NTA (U.S. National Tour Association) declared - "The Cubans have provided us with a fairly complete picture of their tourism product and future opportunities for U.S. businesses to work in this market. We are very excited to have this information and look forward to a follow up conference next year in Cuba, should the legislation pending in Congress be approved"
In the meantime, Senator Byron Dorgan (from North Dakota) when addressing the Summit by teleconference, expressed his confidence that the current bill (S 428), authrorising open U.S. travel to Cuba, could meet the 60 vote threshold needed in the Senate this year for it to pass. He then asked the Cuban delegates to assist them in the movement of the legislation by helping resolve controversies that could impede passage and would thus crush the high hopes of Cuba holidays for American citizens.
Other five panels on Cuba's behalf supplemented Minister Marrero's presentation with Miguel Figueras, senior advisor to the Minister of Tourism, providing a statistical analysis of Cuba's tourism growth and the Cuba holidays boom. Katia Alonzo, director of the Ministry of Foreign Trade & Investment, gave details on a broad range of investment opportunities and information on laws, responsibilities, taxes and profit potential for foreign investors. On the other hand, first Vice President of the Cuban Institute of Civil Aeronautics Argimiro Ojeda addressed the utilisation of airport development and aeronautic technology while First Vice Minister of the Ministry of Transportation Joel Archer highlighted ports, cruise activity, potential growth and highway improvement for improved groundhandling services for more hassle-free Cuba holidays.
Travel sector leaders from Gaviota (an ecotourism focused Cuban company), Havanatur, SanCristobal, Palmares, Cubanacan, Gran Caribe, Oasis Hotels and Sol Media Cuba— all of which operate either receptive tourism services, Cuba hotels, or both— and Marinas Marlin, a deep sea fishing operator that provided information of interest about Cuba holidays to the U.S. delegates.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...