The U. S. - Cuba Travel Summit held in Cancun ended successfully
During last month's U.S. - Cuba Travel Summit held in Cancun both parties signalled a successful outcome as they engaged in fruitful talks over the possibilities of Cuban tourism being accessible to American travel companies and American travellers.
The U. S. - Cuba Travel Summit that took place in Cancun last month, was said to have ended on a high note as participants hailed the possibility of Cuba holidays for American citizens. According to the National Tour Association (NTA) after the meeting the resulting reports reflected the expansive and growing tourism product Cuba holidays possess.
"Both government and travel industry leaders described the prospective business opportunities on the island to a packed house of United States tourism business professionals" - added an international press source attending the event in Cancun
During the meeting, Cuban Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz, outlined the growth of Cuba hotels and the increase of the island’s room inventory throughout Cuba, including many four and five star properties. He also mentioned a significant number of joint projects with international investors giving a boost to the Cuba holidays package, as well as the expansion of Cuba's airports which went from 3 to 10. Other additions included a new fleet of motor coaches and over 10,000 rental cars, fishing and sailing vessels, beaches along all shores, cultural and heritage sites and a variety of eco-tourism sites for green Cuba holidays. Marrero also talked about the many open opportunities worldwide for joint investment projects, especially in the area of hotel management and resorts with the development of new Cuba hotels.
Lisa Simon, President of the NTA (U.S. National Tour Association) declared - "The Cubans have provided us with a fairly complete picture of their tourism product and future opportunities for U.S. businesses to work in this market. We are very excited to have this information and look forward to a follow up conference next year in Cuba, should the legislation pending in Congress be approved"
In the meantime, Senator Byron Dorgan (from North Dakota) when addressing the Summit by teleconference, expressed his confidence that the current bill (S 428), authrorising open U.S. travel to Cuba, could meet the 60 vote threshold needed in the Senate this year for it to pass. He then asked the Cuban delegates to assist them in the movement of the legislation by helping resolve controversies that could impede passage and would thus crush the high hopes of Cuba holidays for American citizens.
Other five panels on Cuba's behalf supplemented Minister Marrero's presentation with Miguel Figueras, senior advisor to the Minister of Tourism, providing a statistical analysis of Cuba's tourism growth and the Cuba holidays boom. Katia Alonzo, director of the Ministry of Foreign Trade & Investment, gave details on a broad range of investment opportunities and information on laws, responsibilities, taxes and profit potential for foreign investors. On the other hand, first Vice President of the Cuban Institute of Civil Aeronautics Argimiro Ojeda addressed the utilisation of airport development and aeronautic technology while First Vice Minister of the Ministry of Transportation Joel Archer highlighted ports, cruise activity, potential growth and highway improvement for improved groundhandling services for more hassle-free Cuba holidays.
Travel sector leaders from Gaviota (an ecotourism focused Cuban company), Havanatur, SanCristobal, Palmares, Cubanacan, Gran Caribe, Oasis Hotels and Sol Media Cuba— all of which operate either receptive tourism services, Cuba hotels, or both— and Marinas Marlin, a deep sea fishing operator that provided information of interest about Cuba holidays to the U.S. delegates.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...