Jamaica's Economic Turnaround Helped by Increase in Jamaica Holidays
The recent increase in travellers taking Jamaica holidays has helped the Caribbean island recover quicker than many other nearby destinations from the effects of the global recession as it sees a 3.9 percent increase in the global market share since 2009.
One of the main reasons for the economic turnaround for the island is down to the increase in British travellers choosing Jamaica holidays. 2009 saw 200,000 tourists from the UK enjoying holiday in Jamaica.
Edmund Bartlett, the island’s Tourism Minister, is predicting a six percent increase in tourists visiting the region and going on Jamaica holidays.
Last year, Jamaica was awarded the title of Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the World Travel Awards, and recent activity proves that the island is living up to the title.
UK Regional Director of Jamaica Tourist Board, Elizabeth Fox, explains: “In the world of travel, flat is the new black at the moment. We feel quite positive about the year ahead and expect to see at least a six per cent rise in tourism.”
British Airways have recently increased the number of direct flights to Jamaica enabling more travellers from the UK to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
AirTran Airways are also contributing towards the increase in tourists taking holidays to Jamaica and have introduced a number of new flights to the island from American cities including Orlando, Baltimore, and Atlanta.
When the first flights arrived at Montego Bay last month, passengers were welcomed by Edmund Bartlett, a special reception and welcome beads before travelling on to their Jamaica holidays.
“With more than 150 attractions, an assortment of accommodations from rustic to luxurious and natural beauty that ranges from the crystal blue Caribbean Sea to the lush Blue Mountains, Jamaica has something for everyone,” - Edmund continued.
With journey times of just three and a half hours, the AirTran Airways flights provide the perfect excuse for a short Caribbean break or luxury Jamaica holidays.
“We are extremely excited to be starting new service to Montego Bay, Jamaica,” said Roger Morenc, Director of Revenue Management for AirTran Airways.
“Our passengers can enjoy low fares and high-quality service to one of the most beautiful destinations in the Caribbean.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, an underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Huge Savings when staying in Sun Club Rooms and Junior Suites
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the expansive and renowned Explorer's Club
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Enjoy the private beach and Sugar Mill Falls Water Park nearby
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...