Jamaica's Economic Turnaround Helped by Increase in Jamaica Holidays
The recent increase in travellers taking Jamaica holidays has helped the Caribbean island recover quicker than many other nearby destinations from the effects of the global recession as it sees a 3.9 percent increase in the global market share since 2009.
One of the main reasons for the economic turnaround for the island is down to the increase in British travellers choosing Jamaica holidays. 2009 saw 200,000 tourists from the UK enjoying holiday in Jamaica.
Edmund Bartlett, the island’s Tourism Minister, is predicting a six percent increase in tourists visiting the region and going on Jamaica holidays.
Last year, Jamaica was awarded the title of Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the World Travel Awards, and recent activity proves that the island is living up to the title.
UK Regional Director of Jamaica Tourist Board, Elizabeth Fox, explains: “In the world of travel, flat is the new black at the moment. We feel quite positive about the year ahead and expect to see at least a six per cent rise in tourism.”
British Airways have recently increased the number of direct flights to Jamaica enabling more travellers from the UK to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
AirTran Airways are also contributing towards the increase in tourists taking holidays to Jamaica and have introduced a number of new flights to the island from American cities including Orlando, Baltimore, and Atlanta.
When the first flights arrived at Montego Bay last month, passengers were welcomed by Edmund Bartlett, a special reception and welcome beads before travelling on to their Jamaica holidays.
“With more than 150 attractions, an assortment of accommodations from rustic to luxurious and natural beauty that ranges from the crystal blue Caribbean Sea to the lush Blue Mountains, Jamaica has something for everyone,” - Edmund continued.
With journey times of just three and a half hours, the AirTran Airways flights provide the perfect excuse for a short Caribbean break or luxury Jamaica holidays.
“We are extremely excited to be starting new service to Montego Bay, Jamaica,” said Roger Morenc, Director of Revenue Management for AirTran Airways.
“Our passengers can enjoy low fares and high-quality service to one of the most beautiful destinations in the Caribbean.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...