Jamaica's Economic Turnaround Helped by Increase in Jamaica Holidays
The recent increase in travellers taking Jamaica holidays has helped the Caribbean island recover quicker than many other nearby destinations from the effects of the global recession as it sees a 3.9 percent increase in the global market share since 2009.
One of the main reasons for the economic turnaround for the island is down to the increase in British travellers choosing Jamaica holidays. 2009 saw 200,000 tourists from the UK enjoying holiday in Jamaica.
Edmund Bartlett, the island’s Tourism Minister, is predicting a six percent increase in tourists visiting the region and going on Jamaica holidays.
Last year, Jamaica was awarded the title of Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the World Travel Awards, and recent activity proves that the island is living up to the title.
UK Regional Director of Jamaica Tourist Board, Elizabeth Fox, explains: “In the world of travel, flat is the new black at the moment. We feel quite positive about the year ahead and expect to see at least a six per cent rise in tourism.”
British Airways have recently increased the number of direct flights to Jamaica enabling more travellers from the UK to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
AirTran Airways are also contributing towards the increase in tourists taking holidays to Jamaica and have introduced a number of new flights to the island from American cities including Orlando, Baltimore, and Atlanta.
When the first flights arrived at Montego Bay last month, passengers were welcomed by Edmund Bartlett, a special reception and welcome beads before travelling on to their Jamaica holidays.
“With more than 150 attractions, an assortment of accommodations from rustic to luxurious and natural beauty that ranges from the crystal blue Caribbean Sea to the lush Blue Mountains, Jamaica has something for everyone,” - Edmund continued.
With journey times of just three and a half hours, the AirTran Airways flights provide the perfect excuse for a short Caribbean break or luxury Jamaica holidays.
“We are extremely excited to be starting new service to Montego Bay, Jamaica,” said Roger Morenc, Director of Revenue Management for AirTran Airways.
“Our passengers can enjoy low fares and high-quality service to one of the most beautiful destinations in the Caribbean.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...