Jamaica's Economic Turnaround Helped by Increase in Jamaica Holidays
The recent increase in travellers taking Jamaica holidays has helped the Caribbean island recover quicker than many other nearby destinations from the effects of the global recession as it sees a 3.9 percent increase in the global market share since 2009.
One of the main reasons for the economic turnaround for the island is down to the increase in British travellers choosing Jamaica holidays. 2009 saw 200,000 tourists from the UK enjoying holiday in Jamaica.
Edmund Bartlett, the island’s Tourism Minister, is predicting a six percent increase in tourists visiting the region and going on Jamaica holidays.
Last year, Jamaica was awarded the title of Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the World Travel Awards, and recent activity proves that the island is living up to the title.
UK Regional Director of Jamaica Tourist Board, Elizabeth Fox, explains: “In the world of travel, flat is the new black at the moment. We feel quite positive about the year ahead and expect to see at least a six per cent rise in tourism.”
British Airways have recently increased the number of direct flights to Jamaica enabling more travellers from the UK to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
AirTran Airways are also contributing towards the increase in tourists taking holidays to Jamaica and have introduced a number of new flights to the island from American cities including Orlando, Baltimore, and Atlanta.
When the first flights arrived at Montego Bay last month, passengers were welcomed by Edmund Bartlett, a special reception and welcome beads before travelling on to their Jamaica holidays.
“With more than 150 attractions, an assortment of accommodations from rustic to luxurious and natural beauty that ranges from the crystal blue Caribbean Sea to the lush Blue Mountains, Jamaica has something for everyone,” - Edmund continued.
With journey times of just three and a half hours, the AirTran Airways flights provide the perfect excuse for a short Caribbean break or luxury Jamaica holidays.
“We are extremely excited to be starting new service to Montego Bay, Jamaica,” said Roger Morenc, Director of Revenue Management for AirTran Airways.
“Our passengers can enjoy low fares and high-quality service to one of the most beautiful destinations in the Caribbean.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- 2 Kids 14 and under stay and play free
- Famous for Watersports available on the beach plus a selection of other activities like the championship golf course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills from fine dining or casual
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...