The tourism appeal of Caribbean holidays to be discussed at April OECS videoconference
During the OECS's last meeting on 31st March 2010, Ministers of Tourism from St Lucia and other senior officials from OECS agreed to hold the next videoconference next 20 April 2010 in St Lucia, where the appeal of Caribbean holidays will be discussed.
Ministers of Tourism from the region will be meeting soon in St Lucia this April to host a videoconference that will be mainly focused around the topic of the future of St Lucia holidays and the appeal of Caribbean holidays & its tourism product offering.
Senior officials in the tourism sector of the OECS convened on last Wednesday 31st March to hold a meeting by videoconference in April. Wednesday’s videoconference was coordinated by the OECS Secretariat, and was in preparation for the 9th Meeting of the OECS Council of Tourism Ministers scheduled to take place in St Lucia on 20th April, 2010.
Programme Officer for Tourism at the OECS Secretariat Dr Lorraine Nicholas expected a high level of participation at last Wednesday’s videoconference for senior officials in the OECS Tourism sector: “So far, the responses from Member States have been overwhelmingly favourable. All Member States indicating that they will be represented at the videoconference. In most cases we have two representatives confirmed for each OECS Member State.”
During the next April videoconference, tourism officials will discuss a number of issues relating to the deepening of functional cooperation in tourism among Member States. These include the possibilities for joint tourism product development; enhancing what Caribbean holidays offer, joint marketing; and an OECS Tourism Enhancement Fund to finance regional tourism development initiatives.
The notion of "operationalising" the Tourism Shared Space in the context of the pending Economic Union is another important area to be discussed by the senior tourism officials. In that regard, particular focus will be placed on the adoption of a collective approach to the clearance of yachts in the region and the multi-destination tourism concept.
About this latter issue, Dr Nicholas has on previous occasions stressed the need for: "Discussions focused on the consideration of further areas in which OECS destinations” – which in her opinion: “(…) could undertake joint marketing initiatives. However, in that regard the Ministers expressed very keen interest in the joint development of the tourism assets of the region,"
She also said that one of the organisation’s main goals for boosting Caribbean holidays in general was to "operationalise" the concept of presenting the OECS to the rest of the world as a single shared tourism space.
For this purpose, OECS Ministers of Tourism, as a priority, have also mandated the Secretariat to further explore the implications of a single shared space for Caribbean holidays. The Secretariat was also asked to propose enhanced measures to facilitate ease of travel by sea and air for both OECS nationals and visitors to the islands.
The videoconference will make recommendations on these matters for consideration by the Council of Ministers of Tourism at their ninth meeting which is taking place this coming 20th April 2010.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
- Book and save £300 per person with the upto 40% sale
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Book one of the Honeymoon and Wedding Packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
- Unique Couples only resort designed for Honeymoons and Weddings
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....