Dubai Hotels and Restaurants Given One Month to Stop Using Alcohol in Food
Dubai hotels have been given one month to stop using alcohol as an ingredient in their food dishes on their restaurant menus for guests enjoying Dubai holidays or business trips and hoteliers could face fines up to AED500.000 if the ban is violated.
The clampdown on using alcohol in food has been reinstated from the original 2003 ban because a number of Muslims taking luxury holidays in Dubai complained about the alcohol in a range of different dishes on hotel menus.
Head of food inspection at the Food Control Department of Dubai Municipality, Ahmed Abdul Rahman Al Ali, said:
"I don't think it will affect businesses or tourism. There are a lot of different meals from around the world catered for in Dubai's restaurants, so the choice will still be there. Also, some dishes can change alcohol for a different flavour to get the same taste."
The fines will be enforced if Dubai hotels ignore the ban and will range from AED2,000 to AED20,000 with a large AED500,000 fine for those who repeatedly offend.
Al Ali added with regards to the fines:
"But we don't want to go to that level. We don't want businesses to go under. We are not looking for the fines at the moment. The inspectors will decide whether they get a notice period of one month."
Some luxury hotels and Dubai restaurants have already enforced the alcohol ban and many others are still waiting for officials to visit the premises.
Many foreign Muslims on luxury Dubai holidays are not aware of the number of dishes which use alcohol as ingredients.
Al Ali said:
"We found a lot of violations. Some local Muslims, and foreign Muslims visiting Dubai, were surprised that the food they ordered had alcohol. In some cases they did not realise that what they had ordered contained alcohol because of the way it was written on the menu."
The municipality sent a circular out to Dubai restaurants and hotels stating that it is strictly prohibited to use alcohol in the preparation of and cooking of food and the sale of any food containing alcohol.
Though there are many other travellers aside from Muslims taking Dubai holidays or luxury holidays in the region, it is important to ensure that the Islamic beliefs are taken into consideration.
However, this can cause problems for some luxury or specialist restaurants who rely on alcohol to flavour their signature dishes.
General Manager of Verre by Gordon Ramsey, Luca Gagliardi, said:
"This law will affect our restaurant very much because we do use alcohol in some of our signature dishes, like the terrine of foie gras marinated in Sauternes and the Madeira veloute that we serve with our pithivier of quail."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
For an affordable luxury holiday on Dubai's iconic The Palm, head for Sofitel and take the whole family with you, they'll love it
- Boasting a Roof Top Swimming Pool
- Free high-speed internet and wifi
- Located by the famous Jumeirah Marina and close to shops, restaurants, bars and the Emirates Shopping Mall
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...