Dubai Hotels and Restaurants Given One Month to Stop Using Alcohol in Food
Dubai hotels have been given one month to stop using alcohol as an ingredient in their food dishes on their restaurant menus for guests enjoying Dubai holidays or business trips and hoteliers could face fines up to AED500.000 if the ban is violated.
The clampdown on using alcohol in food has been reinstated from the original 2003 ban because a number of Muslims taking luxury holidays in Dubai complained about the alcohol in a range of different dishes on hotel menus.
Head of food inspection at the Food Control Department of Dubai Municipality, Ahmed Abdul Rahman Al Ali, said:
"I don't think it will affect businesses or tourism. There are a lot of different meals from around the world catered for in Dubai's restaurants, so the choice will still be there. Also, some dishes can change alcohol for a different flavour to get the same taste."
The fines will be enforced if Dubai hotels ignore the ban and will range from AED2,000 to AED20,000 with a large AED500,000 fine for those who repeatedly offend.
Al Ali added with regards to the fines:
"But we don't want to go to that level. We don't want businesses to go under. We are not looking for the fines at the moment. The inspectors will decide whether they get a notice period of one month."
Some luxury hotels and Dubai restaurants have already enforced the alcohol ban and many others are still waiting for officials to visit the premises.
Many foreign Muslims on luxury Dubai holidays are not aware of the number of dishes which use alcohol as ingredients.
Al Ali said:
"We found a lot of violations. Some local Muslims, and foreign Muslims visiting Dubai, were surprised that the food they ordered had alcohol. In some cases they did not realise that what they had ordered contained alcohol because of the way it was written on the menu."
The municipality sent a circular out to Dubai restaurants and hotels stating that it is strictly prohibited to use alcohol in the preparation of and cooking of food and the sale of any food containing alcohol.
Though there are many other travellers aside from Muslims taking Dubai holidays or luxury holidays in the region, it is important to ensure that the Islamic beliefs are taken into consideration.
However, this can cause problems for some luxury or specialist restaurants who rely on alcohol to flavour their signature dishes.
General Manager of Verre by Gordon Ramsey, Luca Gagliardi, said:
"This law will affect our restaurant very much because we do use alcohol in some of our signature dishes, like the terrine of foie gras marinated in Sauternes and the Madeira veloute that we serve with our pithivier of quail."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai , the only hotel with a restaurant with 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...