Dubai Hotels and Restaurants Given One Month to Stop Using Alcohol in Food
Dubai hotels have been given one month to stop using alcohol as an ingredient in their food dishes on their restaurant menus for guests enjoying Dubai holidays or business trips and hoteliers could face fines up to AED500.000 if the ban is violated.
The clampdown on using alcohol in food has been reinstated from the original 2003 ban because a number of Muslims taking luxury holidays in Dubai complained about the alcohol in a range of different dishes on hotel menus.
Head of food inspection at the Food Control Department of Dubai Municipality, Ahmed Abdul Rahman Al Ali, said:
"I don't think it will affect businesses or tourism. There are a lot of different meals from around the world catered for in Dubai's restaurants, so the choice will still be there. Also, some dishes can change alcohol for a different flavour to get the same taste."
The fines will be enforced if Dubai hotels ignore the ban and will range from AED2,000 to AED20,000 with a large AED500,000 fine for those who repeatedly offend.
Al Ali added with regards to the fines:
"But we don't want to go to that level. We don't want businesses to go under. We are not looking for the fines at the moment. The inspectors will decide whether they get a notice period of one month."
Some luxury hotels and Dubai restaurants have already enforced the alcohol ban and many others are still waiting for officials to visit the premises.
Many foreign Muslims on luxury Dubai holidays are not aware of the number of dishes which use alcohol as ingredients.
Al Ali said:
"We found a lot of violations. Some local Muslims, and foreign Muslims visiting Dubai, were surprised that the food they ordered had alcohol. In some cases they did not realise that what they had ordered contained alcohol because of the way it was written on the menu."
The municipality sent a circular out to Dubai restaurants and hotels stating that it is strictly prohibited to use alcohol in the preparation of and cooking of food and the sale of any food containing alcohol.
Though there are many other travellers aside from Muslims taking Dubai holidays or luxury holidays in the region, it is important to ensure that the Islamic beliefs are taken into consideration.
However, this can cause problems for some luxury or specialist restaurants who rely on alcohol to flavour their signature dishes.
General Manager of Verre by Gordon Ramsey, Luca Gagliardi, said:
"This law will affect our restaurant very much because we do use alcohol in some of our signature dishes, like the terrine of foie gras marinated in Sauternes and the Madeira veloute that we serve with our pithivier of quail."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...