Dubai Hotels and Restaurants Given One Month to Stop Using Alcohol in Food
Dubai hotels have been given one month to stop using alcohol as an ingredient in their food dishes on their restaurant menus for guests enjoying Dubai holidays or business trips and hoteliers could face fines up to AED500.000 if the ban is violated.
The clampdown on using alcohol in food has been reinstated from the original 2003 ban because a number of Muslims taking luxury holidays in Dubai complained about the alcohol in a range of different dishes on hotel menus.
Head of food inspection at the Food Control Department of Dubai Municipality, Ahmed Abdul Rahman Al Ali, said:
"I don't think it will affect businesses or tourism. There are a lot of different meals from around the world catered for in Dubai's restaurants, so the choice will still be there. Also, some dishes can change alcohol for a different flavour to get the same taste."
The fines will be enforced if Dubai hotels ignore the ban and will range from AED2,000 to AED20,000 with a large AED500,000 fine for those who repeatedly offend.
Al Ali added with regards to the fines:
"But we don't want to go to that level. We don't want businesses to go under. We are not looking for the fines at the moment. The inspectors will decide whether they get a notice period of one month."
Some luxury hotels and Dubai restaurants have already enforced the alcohol ban and many others are still waiting for officials to visit the premises.
Many foreign Muslims on luxury Dubai holidays are not aware of the number of dishes which use alcohol as ingredients.
Al Ali said:
"We found a lot of violations. Some local Muslims, and foreign Muslims visiting Dubai, were surprised that the food they ordered had alcohol. In some cases they did not realise that what they had ordered contained alcohol because of the way it was written on the menu."
The municipality sent a circular out to Dubai restaurants and hotels stating that it is strictly prohibited to use alcohol in the preparation of and cooking of food and the sale of any food containing alcohol.
Though there are many other travellers aside from Muslims taking Dubai holidays or luxury holidays in the region, it is important to ensure that the Islamic beliefs are taken into consideration.
However, this can cause problems for some luxury or specialist restaurants who rely on alcohol to flavour their signature dishes.
General Manager of Verre by Gordon Ramsey, Luca Gagliardi, said:
"This law will affect our restaurant very much because we do use alcohol in some of our signature dishes, like the terrine of foie gras marinated in Sauternes and the Madeira veloute that we serve with our pithivier of quail."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
Dubai has emerged as a top tourist destination for travellers across the globe. The city of Dubai in UAE reflects the...