Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays team up for tourism partnership
The proposal for Cuba to engage in a partnership with the Cayman Islands for establishing a twin destination package is currently under way after a 3-way talk between Cayman Islands' Minister of Tourism, Cuba's Tourism Minister and hotel chain Sol Melia.
Two popular Caribbean holiday destinations are about to team up to offer worldwide travellers with a unique twin holiday package giving them the opportunity to spend time at these two stunning islands in one single trip. Cuba and The Cayman Islands have recently begun negotiations about a possible partnership for twin destination tourism that would take holidaymakers from Cuba holidays to Cayman holidays and vice versa.
A recent statement released by the premier’s office, McKeeva Bush , said he led a delegation last week to Cuba in order to engage in exploratory talks with the Cuban government and the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia, one of the biggest in the island co-owning a large proportion of Cuba hotels.
Bush stated that he had begun pursuing the idea of multi-destination packages with Cuba when he last served as Leader of Government Business but he said that sadly “nothing was done after 2005” and the opportunity to engage in Cayman-Cuba holidays was lost.
This time around Bush, in his role as Minister of Tourism, and the CIG delegation met with the Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, and Sol Melia executives. According to officials, the talks represent the first step in attracting more European and Canadian visitors to Cayman holidays and a new hotel brand for the Islands – in particular Cayman Brac. Furthermore the talks also included potential cruise tourism originating from Cuba and going to and fro these two Caribbean holiday destinations.
The partnership’s main aim is to promote a two-destination travel package whereby tourists can go on Cuba holidays and at the same time visit the Cayman Islands. Other countries that already have multi-destination deals and partnerships with Cuba include The Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica, allowing them to tap into the 2 million tourists arriving in Cuba annually and jointly reap the benefits.
"A tourism partnership with Cuba gives us the ability to significantly increase our share of the European market which might otherwise be difficult for Cayman to achieve,” - Bush commented stressing the need for the Cayman islands to benefit from the influence of Cuba holidays. Of the 2.5 million tourists that arrived in Cuba during 2009, 60 % originated from Europe and 30 % from Canada. European tourists are known for taking longer vacations than North American tourists, making them ideal multi-destination prospects for combined Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays.
The Spanish Sol Melia hotel chain currently operates 313 hotels in 27 countries on 4 continents. Its hotels are rated 3, 4 and 5 stars. It also is the largest resort hotel chain in the world, a leading brand in the region and well established in the Cuba holidays market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...