Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays team up for tourism partnership
The proposal for Cuba to engage in a partnership with the Cayman Islands for establishing a twin destination package is currently under way after a 3-way talk between Cayman Islands' Minister of Tourism, Cuba's Tourism Minister and hotel chain Sol Melia.
Two popular Caribbean holiday destinations are about to team up to offer worldwide travellers with a unique twin holiday package giving them the opportunity to spend time at these two stunning islands in one single trip. Cuba and The Cayman Islands have recently begun negotiations about a possible partnership for twin destination tourism that would take holidaymakers from Cuba holidays to Cayman holidays and vice versa.
A recent statement released by the premier’s office, McKeeva Bush , said he led a delegation last week to Cuba in order to engage in exploratory talks with the Cuban government and the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia, one of the biggest in the island co-owning a large proportion of Cuba hotels.
Bush stated that he had begun pursuing the idea of multi-destination packages with Cuba when he last served as Leader of Government Business but he said that sadly “nothing was done after 2005” and the opportunity to engage in Cayman-Cuba holidays was lost.
This time around Bush, in his role as Minister of Tourism, and the CIG delegation met with the Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, and Sol Melia executives. According to officials, the talks represent the first step in attracting more European and Canadian visitors to Cayman holidays and a new hotel brand for the Islands – in particular Cayman Brac. Furthermore the talks also included potential cruise tourism originating from Cuba and going to and fro these two Caribbean holiday destinations.
The partnership’s main aim is to promote a two-destination travel package whereby tourists can go on Cuba holidays and at the same time visit the Cayman Islands. Other countries that already have multi-destination deals and partnerships with Cuba include The Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica, allowing them to tap into the 2 million tourists arriving in Cuba annually and jointly reap the benefits.
"A tourism partnership with Cuba gives us the ability to significantly increase our share of the European market which might otherwise be difficult for Cayman to achieve,” - Bush commented stressing the need for the Cayman islands to benefit from the influence of Cuba holidays. Of the 2.5 million tourists that arrived in Cuba during 2009, 60 % originated from Europe and 30 % from Canada. European tourists are known for taking longer vacations than North American tourists, making them ideal multi-destination prospects for combined Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays.
The Spanish Sol Melia hotel chain currently operates 313 hotels in 27 countries on 4 continents. Its hotels are rated 3, 4 and 5 stars. It also is the largest resort hotel chain in the world, a leading brand in the region and well established in the Cuba holidays market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...