Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays team up for tourism partnership
The proposal for Cuba to engage in a partnership with the Cayman Islands for establishing a twin destination package is currently under way after a 3-way talk between Cayman Islands' Minister of Tourism, Cuba's Tourism Minister and hotel chain Sol Melia.
Two popular Caribbean holiday destinations are about to team up to offer worldwide travellers with a unique twin holiday package giving them the opportunity to spend time at these two stunning islands in one single trip. Cuba and The Cayman Islands have recently begun negotiations about a possible partnership for twin destination tourism that would take holidaymakers from Cuba holidays to Cayman holidays and vice versa.
A recent statement released by the premier’s office, McKeeva Bush , said he led a delegation last week to Cuba in order to engage in exploratory talks with the Cuban government and the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia, one of the biggest in the island co-owning a large proportion of Cuba hotels.
Bush stated that he had begun pursuing the idea of multi-destination packages with Cuba when he last served as Leader of Government Business but he said that sadly “nothing was done after 2005” and the opportunity to engage in Cayman-Cuba holidays was lost.
This time around Bush, in his role as Minister of Tourism, and the CIG delegation met with the Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, and Sol Melia executives. According to officials, the talks represent the first step in attracting more European and Canadian visitors to Cayman holidays and a new hotel brand for the Islands – in particular Cayman Brac. Furthermore the talks also included potential cruise tourism originating from Cuba and going to and fro these two Caribbean holiday destinations.
The partnership’s main aim is to promote a two-destination travel package whereby tourists can go on Cuba holidays and at the same time visit the Cayman Islands. Other countries that already have multi-destination deals and partnerships with Cuba include The Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica, allowing them to tap into the 2 million tourists arriving in Cuba annually and jointly reap the benefits.
"A tourism partnership with Cuba gives us the ability to significantly increase our share of the European market which might otherwise be difficult for Cayman to achieve,” - Bush commented stressing the need for the Cayman islands to benefit from the influence of Cuba holidays. Of the 2.5 million tourists that arrived in Cuba during 2009, 60 % originated from Europe and 30 % from Canada. European tourists are known for taking longer vacations than North American tourists, making them ideal multi-destination prospects for combined Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays.
The Spanish Sol Melia hotel chain currently operates 313 hotels in 27 countries on 4 continents. Its hotels are rated 3, 4 and 5 stars. It also is the largest resort hotel chain in the world, a leading brand in the region and well established in the Cuba holidays market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...