Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays team up for tourism partnership
The proposal for Cuba to engage in a partnership with the Cayman Islands for establishing a twin destination package is currently under way after a 3-way talk between Cayman Islands' Minister of Tourism, Cuba's Tourism Minister and hotel chain Sol Melia.
Two popular Caribbean holiday destinations are about to team up to offer worldwide travellers with a unique twin holiday package giving them the opportunity to spend time at these two stunning islands in one single trip. Cuba and The Cayman Islands have recently begun negotiations about a possible partnership for twin destination tourism that would take holidaymakers from Cuba holidays to Cayman holidays and vice versa.
A recent statement released by the premier’s office, McKeeva Bush , said he led a delegation last week to Cuba in order to engage in exploratory talks with the Cuban government and the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia, one of the biggest in the island co-owning a large proportion of Cuba hotels.
Bush stated that he had begun pursuing the idea of multi-destination packages with Cuba when he last served as Leader of Government Business but he said that sadly “nothing was done after 2005” and the opportunity to engage in Cayman-Cuba holidays was lost.
This time around Bush, in his role as Minister of Tourism, and the CIG delegation met with the Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, and Sol Melia executives. According to officials, the talks represent the first step in attracting more European and Canadian visitors to Cayman holidays and a new hotel brand for the Islands – in particular Cayman Brac. Furthermore the talks also included potential cruise tourism originating from Cuba and going to and fro these two Caribbean holiday destinations.
The partnership’s main aim is to promote a two-destination travel package whereby tourists can go on Cuba holidays and at the same time visit the Cayman Islands. Other countries that already have multi-destination deals and partnerships with Cuba include The Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica, allowing them to tap into the 2 million tourists arriving in Cuba annually and jointly reap the benefits.
"A tourism partnership with Cuba gives us the ability to significantly increase our share of the European market which might otherwise be difficult for Cayman to achieve,” - Bush commented stressing the need for the Cayman islands to benefit from the influence of Cuba holidays. Of the 2.5 million tourists that arrived in Cuba during 2009, 60 % originated from Europe and 30 % from Canada. European tourists are known for taking longer vacations than North American tourists, making them ideal multi-destination prospects for combined Cayman holidays and Cuba holidays.
The Spanish Sol Melia hotel chain currently operates 313 hotels in 27 countries on 4 continents. Its hotels are rated 3, 4 and 5 stars. It also is the largest resort hotel chain in the world, a leading brand in the region and well established in the Cuba holidays market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...