STC to Focus on Strategic Heritage Tourism Planning and Sustainable Barbados Holidays
Caribbean and Barbados holidays will be on the agenda of topics at this year's 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism as a panel of experts examine ways to enhance tourism in the region.
The Sustainable Tourism Conference (STC-11) is being organised by the CTO and the Barbados Ministry of Tourism and is scheduled to take place from 9 – 12 May 2010 at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Barbados.
This year’s conference theme is Keeping the Right Balance: Creating Opportunities Through a World Class Sustainable Tourism Product, and will focus on enhancing and sustaining tourism through eco-friendly Barbados hotels and cultural Barbados holidays.
The panel of experts will study the subjects of sustainable Barbados holidays and will offer advice and make recommendations to the delegates attending the conference.
The sustainable tourism product specialist for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Gail Henry, said:
"The panel of highly qualified and experienced presenters will discuss how the Caribbean can differentiate and enhance its tourism product based on the region's rich and diverse tangible and intangible heritage.
"They will share lessons learned from various projects in which they have been involved and make recommendations, based on their experiences, on how the Caribbean can maximize the potential of heritage tourism."
Dr Keith Nurse, Director of Shridath Ramphal Centre for International Trade Law, Policy and Services, form the University of West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados, will be a panellist at the conference and will be discussing his findings of a study highlighting the performance of heritage tourism products and sites in the region which will entice more visitors to take Barbados holidays.
Dr Nurse said:
"For many Caribbean countries the key challenge is how to reconcile the need for a diverse product portfolio of visitor attractions and ‘things to do' that builds on the region's unique image, brand and selling points whilst at the same time taking into account the rights of citizens to gain access to their heritage, sustaining the local eco-systems and respecting the need for income generating activities."
Panellists will also discuss strategies to encourage communities to get involved in sustainable tourism projects with the help of a presentation by the Travel Foundation who focus on creating links between economic sectors and tourism with practical programmes in a bid to attract more travellers to go on Barbados holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Exclusive last minute DOUBLE FREE room upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite as seen on Secret Escapes
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...