US cruise lines say cruising Cuba holidays would take time
At the recent annual gathering of the Cruise Shipping Miami Conference, industry officials talked about when US-Cuba relations may allow US ships to operate on Cuba and if that were to happen 4 to 5 years would be needed to renovate the island's old ports
US cruise companies have shown avid interest to add Cuba holidays to their itineraries; but it has been generally agreed that even if US policy allowed for that to happen, Cuba's sea ports would still need years of rebuilding to accommodate modern ships, industry officials said on Wednesday.
"Our business has grown so much that these ports in Cuba that were (established) in the time of the Spanish conquistadors, that size of ports, they're going to need a lot of infrastructure improvement," – said John Tercek, vice president of commercial development for Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd, during an industry conference in Miami.
The world's 3 largest cruise companies -- Carnival Corp & Plc, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Line, which is owned by US private equity firms Apollo Management LP and TPG Capital LP and by Genting Hong Kong Ltd, which are all headquartered in Miami would be eager to start operating cruises to take travellers to Cuba holidays and reap in the many benefits of working with this popular Caribbean holiday destination.
However, it is widely known that hey are prohibited by the U.S. from doing business with nearby communist Cuba (let alone sell cruise Cuba holidays), under a policy aimed at depriving Cuba of US dollars until it adopts a democratic system and releases political prisoners.
The Caribbean region is the top holiday destination for cruise lines because of its year-round mild weather and close proximity to North America, which is the source of more than 70 % of all cruise passengers globally. Thus cruise companies would be able to make big profits when entering the Cuba holidays market to their portfolio.
"The moment Cuba comes into the market, I think it's another star," - said St Lucia Tourism Minister Allen Chastanet.
Because Cuba holidays would be a novelty to most American passengers, it could draw traffic away from other main Caribbean ports, industry officials said. However it was also said that it would be likely that the attention focused on newly opened Cuba holidays would also generate more interest in the Caribbean overall, creating a bigger tourism pie for all to share.
"When Cuba opens up, it's going to be great for everybody;" - Royal Caribbean's Tercek continued - "We'll all find interesting ways to grow with it."
But of course, no overnight changes are expected by anyone.
"The general assumption -- that if the US administration dropped their restrictions, there's going to be a mass exodus of all the ships to Cuba -- is clearly not going to happen," commented Colin Murphy, vice president for destination and strategic development for Norwegian Cruise Line. - "No one knows what the government of Cuba will do. So if there's a change in policy from the US administration, it doesn't mean we're necessarily going to be welcomed with open arms there."
If US-Cuba relations thawed, the first US cruise ships to take passengers to Cuba holidays would likely be the smaller ones. It could take 4 to 5 years to refit Cuba's old ports to accommodate the modern 150,000-plus-ton mega-ships that now ply the Caribbean waters and carry thousands of passengers, they said.
"Nothing's going to happen super-quick," - Murphy said. - "The ports are antiquated."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...