An artificial beach for the enhancement of Dominican Republic holidays in Santo Domingo
The subject of bringing an artificial beach to the Dominican Republic's capital city of Santo Doming has been much discussed lately with recent proposals by a Spanish company to develop a new beach project and enhance the city's appeal to tourists.
Talks about an artificial beach for the enhancement of Dominican Republic holidays in the country’s capital of Santo Domingo have come to the conclusion that it would be an attractive recreational option not only for foreign visitors and tourists but for citizens as well, said a report published by diariolibre.com.
We all know that beaches are one of Dominican Republic holidays’ strongest assets for tourists seeking ideal beach getaways, but the fact that the capital city doesn’t have one is a clear disadvantage for those wanting to visit Santo Domingo while also enjoying a relaxing sun-tanning moment during their Dominican Republic holidays in the city.
“If the situation could change in the medium term it would become the second most important tourism region second only to Punta Cana-Bavaro,” - added the report on diariolibre.com which was written by the Juan Llado.
The consultant Juan Llado wrote that the project is not new and was in the offing during the city’s Mayoral tenure of 1982-1986 in which it was stated that the new artificial beach would give the city a good recreational option both for tourists and the population. The proposal now has been reinforced with the most recent proposal coming from Spain at the hands of Group Acciona, who plans the building of a new Santo Domingo beach as part of the discarded project Artificial Island, which included the creation of a lake between the coast and the new soil.
However, Dominican president Leonel Fernandez abandoned the project despite having been approved by Congress, in order to calm irate public opinion. Initially the project visualised 3 breaches in front of the Melia hote, a small beach at Guibia and in front of the Vesubio restaurant, a tempting option for Dominican Republic holidays in the capital that later had to be scrapped.
Explaining the President’s latter change of mind, Llado explained – “Though praiseworthy, these pretensions aren’t financially viable in the medium term. The necessary resources will have to come from the central Government and the fiscal perspective isn’t good in the short term."
Llado also added that the current beach at Sans Soucí had been leased to a group of companies led by Vicini, which is now creating a mother port for cruise ships, although as of yet there have been no announcements of any beach project. - “Needless to say it would be convenient for the city to have beaches. The arrival of cruise ship passengers and tourists from Bavaro-Punta Cana will be enormous with the development of the mother port and the Coral highway.” – Llado said when explaining the many benefits this would bring to Dominican Republic holidays.
The tourism expert suggested that an agreement between the Dominican Republic Hotels Association in Santo Domingo and Vicini should be reached to develop Sans Soucí beach. “The first could convince the second of the great mutual benefit. And although the capital’s inhabitants wouldn’t like a steep incline, they could also access even if they have to pay.”- he concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy fantastic savings, $200 resort credit per room per stay to spend in the spa, upgraded wine list and on a romantic dinner
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay at this Mediterranean inspired seaside paradise in the southeast coast of the Dominican
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury, an all inclusive experience like no other with reservation free dining
- Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the World class Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- The hotel offers a fantastic setting in Bayahibe, a seaside paradise in the southeast coast
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...