US Rugby players tournament and holidays in Cuba
A US rugby team recently enjoyed rare Cuba holidays whilst they competed at the first International Rugby Board (IRB) Sevens Tournament in Cuba's capital, Havana city with 12 teams from seven different countries.
The US team, Atlantis, was made up of 10 American players, two American coaches, one American manager and an American trainer and one Canadian at the end of February. The tournament was organised by Canadian rugby patron, Karl Fix and saw some exceptional play from some of North and South America's finest rugby athletes.
The tournament was kicked off with an opening ceremony at Eduardo Saborit Stadium sports arena and saw the 12 teams flying the flags for their nations before the games began. On the first day of the tournament, the Atlantis team played three games; two against Cuban national development teams and one against the Mexican National team.
Atlantis triumphed on the second day and beat the Venezuelan team with the help of talented former US National Sevens player, Marcus Respes and Texan Kelly Kolberg. The ultimate match was between Atlantis and the Cuban national team which was supported by horns, bells and whistles from keen Cuba fans.
As the tournament ended, players gathered in the clubhouse for celebrations and the US players were drawn to the Cubans, who they had befriended during their matches against each other.
Kelly Kolberg, sitting beside his new Cuban rugby friend, Pablo, said:
"I have been all around the world playing rugby and this has been my best experience yet. These people have changed my view on Cubans."
The current US-Cuba embargo currently bans US travellers from freely taking Cuba holidays or travelling to the region. However, the ban is currently being debated an brought to the US Congress where many are hoping it will finally be lifted after being in place for over 45 years.
Lifting the embargo will enable US travellers to take holidays in Cuba, and businesses will be able to build new relationships.
The lift of the ban will significantly help Cuban businesses in the travel and tourism industry if more travellers from the US take Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...