US Rugby players tournament and holidays in Cuba
A US rugby team recently enjoyed rare Cuba holidays whilst they competed at the first International Rugby Board (IRB) Sevens Tournament in Cuba's capital, Havana city with 12 teams from seven different countries.
The US team, Atlantis, was made up of 10 American players, two American coaches, one American manager and an American trainer and one Canadian at the end of February. The tournament was organised by Canadian rugby patron, Karl Fix and saw some exceptional play from some of North and South America's finest rugby athletes.
The tournament was kicked off with an opening ceremony at Eduardo Saborit Stadium sports arena and saw the 12 teams flying the flags for their nations before the games began. On the first day of the tournament, the Atlantis team played three games; two against Cuban national development teams and one against the Mexican National team.
Atlantis triumphed on the second day and beat the Venezuelan team with the help of talented former US National Sevens player, Marcus Respes and Texan Kelly Kolberg. The ultimate match was between Atlantis and the Cuban national team which was supported by horns, bells and whistles from keen Cuba fans.
As the tournament ended, players gathered in the clubhouse for celebrations and the US players were drawn to the Cubans, who they had befriended during their matches against each other.
Kelly Kolberg, sitting beside his new Cuban rugby friend, Pablo, said:
"I have been all around the world playing rugby and this has been my best experience yet. These people have changed my view on Cubans."
The current US-Cuba embargo currently bans US travellers from freely taking Cuba holidays or travelling to the region. However, the ban is currently being debated an brought to the US Congress where many are hoping it will finally be lifted after being in place for over 45 years.
Lifting the embargo will enable US travellers to take holidays in Cuba, and businesses will be able to build new relationships.
The lift of the ban will significantly help Cuban businesses in the travel and tourism industry if more travellers from the US take Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Are you searching for a beach retreat with charismatic attitude? Then why not head to Cuba where days basking upon...