US Rugby players tournament and holidays in Cuba
A US rugby team recently enjoyed rare Cuba holidays whilst they competed at the first International Rugby Board (IRB) Sevens Tournament in Cuba's capital, Havana city with 12 teams from seven different countries.
The US team, Atlantis, was made up of 10 American players, two American coaches, one American manager and an American trainer and one Canadian at the end of February. The tournament was organised by Canadian rugby patron, Karl Fix and saw some exceptional play from some of North and South America's finest rugby athletes.
The tournament was kicked off with an opening ceremony at Eduardo Saborit Stadium sports arena and saw the 12 teams flying the flags for their nations before the games began. On the first day of the tournament, the Atlantis team played three games; two against Cuban national development teams and one against the Mexican National team.
Atlantis triumphed on the second day and beat the Venezuelan team with the help of talented former US National Sevens player, Marcus Respes and Texan Kelly Kolberg. The ultimate match was between Atlantis and the Cuban national team which was supported by horns, bells and whistles from keen Cuba fans.
As the tournament ended, players gathered in the clubhouse for celebrations and the US players were drawn to the Cubans, who they had befriended during their matches against each other.
Kelly Kolberg, sitting beside his new Cuban rugby friend, Pablo, said:
"I have been all around the world playing rugby and this has been my best experience yet. These people have changed my view on Cubans."
The current US-Cuba embargo currently bans US travellers from freely taking Cuba holidays or travelling to the region. However, the ban is currently being debated an brought to the US Congress where many are hoping it will finally be lifted after being in place for over 45 years.
Lifting the embargo will enable US travellers to take holidays in Cuba, and businesses will be able to build new relationships.
The lift of the ban will significantly help Cuban businesses in the travel and tourism industry if more travellers from the US take Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...