Sri Lanka and Cuba holidays on the "2010 It List"
Having recently featured on Concierge.com's '2010 It List' Cuba holidays and Sri Lanka holidays have ranked as two of the ten top world holiday destinations for 2010. Here we explain why these two countries look more appealing than ever to travellers.
According to popular travel website concierge.com Cuba holidays and Sri Lanka holidays will be experiencing high levels of popularity among travellers choosing these as their holiday destinations for 2010.
On the website’s “2010 It List” they declared 2010 to be Travel's Comeback Year and not only because of the recovering economy but rather they attribute it to a combination of changed political circumstances, increased access, and once-in-a-lifetime events is opening up some of the world's most beautiful hideaways and holidays destinations for your traveling pleasure. For this they compiled what they believed to be the top 10 holiday destinations for 2010 in their ‘2010 It List’. This list features unique destinations some rare with a few spots that most people can't find on a map, or even (in the case of Kyrgyzstan) pronounce. From forbidden locales like Burma, Sri Lanka and Cuba to familiar-but-refreshed spots like Venice and Marrakesh, the list also features hidden jewels such as Antartica and Colombia
With the case of the projected rise in the popularity of of Sri Lanka holidays we have to of course, take into account its chaotic political (recent) past that they island recently left behind. For over 25 years, this beautiful island in the Indian Ocean was torn by a brutal and bloody civil war but with the conflict finally drawing to an end in May 2009, a whole span of opportunities opens up for safe Sri Lanka travelers. Now travellers looking for a tropical, low-key getaway are beginning to trickle back and more are expected to take Sri Lanka holidays all throughout 2010. One of the country’s main hotspots Galle, an atmospheric walled fortress city, has become a cultural hub in the last few years: With the country's second film festival taking place there in December 2010, and the city's fledgling literary festival attracting international talent including Gore Vidal and Vikram Seth, who both shacked up at the luxurious Amangalla hotel, this is a holiday destination that will rise to new heights. And if the classic Amangalla is sold out, book a room at one of Galle's new boutique luxury hotels, such as Era Beach, with a limited number of just 8 beautifully appointed bedrooms and a huge saltwater pool facing the ocean.
On the other hand, Cuba holidays offer the traveller with a certain romantic and nostalgic air of je-ne-sais-quoi coupled with some of the Caribbean’s finest and sunniest beaches. Fifty years on after the Cuban Revolution, access to this isolated, lost-in-time island seems to be inching closer for American citizens. A bill to lift the travel ban may be passed in Congress in 2010. U.S.-based hotel companies, cruise lines, and tour operators are salivating at the prospect of open Cuba holidays for U.S travellers—and quietly making plans to pounce once the long-standing embargo is lifted. In the meantime, daredevil U.S. citizens have been entering clandestinely via Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean, joining European and Latin American holidaymakers already enjoying Cuba holidays’ old-school glamour and inexpensive beach resorts. Top destinations in the island include mile-long beach strip of Varadero, and Havana’s colonial Hotel Saratoga, from where guests can contemplate a bird’s eye view of the city and the historic quarter of Old Havana while the rest of the city remains packed with dilapidated colonial mansions, underground salsa bars and tasty paladars (Cuban restaurants at residential homes where the owners are the hosts, and most of the time also the chefs for truly local homemade Cuban fare).
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...