Sri Lanka and Cuba holidays on the "2010 It List"
Having recently featured on Concierge.com's '2010 It List' Cuba holidays and Sri Lanka holidays have ranked as two of the ten top world holiday destinations for 2010. Here we explain why these two countries look more appealing than ever to travellers.
According to popular travel website concierge.com Cuba holidays and Sri Lanka holidays will be experiencing high levels of popularity among travellers choosing these as their holiday destinations for 2010.
On the website’s “2010 It List” they declared 2010 to be Travel's Comeback Year and not only because of the recovering economy but rather they attribute it to a combination of changed political circumstances, increased access, and once-in-a-lifetime events is opening up some of the world's most beautiful hideaways and holidays destinations for your traveling pleasure. For this they compiled what they believed to be the top 10 holiday destinations for 2010 in their ‘2010 It List’. This list features unique destinations some rare with a few spots that most people can't find on a map, or even (in the case of Kyrgyzstan) pronounce. From forbidden locales like Burma, Sri Lanka and Cuba to familiar-but-refreshed spots like Venice and Marrakesh, the list also features hidden jewels such as Antartica and Colombia
With the case of the projected rise in the popularity of of Sri Lanka holidays we have to of course, take into account its chaotic political (recent) past that they island recently left behind. For over 25 years, this beautiful island in the Indian Ocean was torn by a brutal and bloody civil war but with the conflict finally drawing to an end in May 2009, a whole span of opportunities opens up for safe Sri Lanka travelers. Now travellers looking for a tropical, low-key getaway are beginning to trickle back and more are expected to take Sri Lanka holidays all throughout 2010. One of the country’s main hotspots Galle, an atmospheric walled fortress city, has become a cultural hub in the last few years: With the country's second film festival taking place there in December 2010, and the city's fledgling literary festival attracting international talent including Gore Vidal and Vikram Seth, who both shacked up at the luxurious Amangalla hotel, this is a holiday destination that will rise to new heights. And if the classic Amangalla is sold out, book a room at one of Galle's new boutique luxury hotels, such as Era Beach, with a limited number of just 8 beautifully appointed bedrooms and a huge saltwater pool facing the ocean.
On the other hand, Cuba holidays offer the traveller with a certain romantic and nostalgic air of je-ne-sais-quoi coupled with some of the Caribbean’s finest and sunniest beaches. Fifty years on after the Cuban Revolution, access to this isolated, lost-in-time island seems to be inching closer for American citizens. A bill to lift the travel ban may be passed in Congress in 2010. U.S.-based hotel companies, cruise lines, and tour operators are salivating at the prospect of open Cuba holidays for U.S travellers—and quietly making plans to pounce once the long-standing embargo is lifted. In the meantime, daredevil U.S. citizens have been entering clandestinely via Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean, joining European and Latin American holidaymakers already enjoying Cuba holidays’ old-school glamour and inexpensive beach resorts. Top destinations in the island include mile-long beach strip of Varadero, and Havana’s colonial Hotel Saratoga, from where guests can contemplate a bird’s eye view of the city and the historic quarter of Old Havana while the rest of the city remains packed with dilapidated colonial mansions, underground salsa bars and tasty paladars (Cuban restaurants at residential homes where the owners are the hosts, and most of the time also the chefs for truly local homemade Cuban fare).
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...