Experts urge holiday makers to not cut back on Travel Insurance
As many people are starting to plan holidays this year, experts are urging travellers to recognise the important of holiday insurance whether they are taking adventurous snowboarding trips in the French Alps or relaxing sun seeking Barbados holidays.
Travel Product Manager of Aviva, Jerry Finch, said that travellers who cut back on the essential protection on their travel insurance "can be a false economy."
"If you haven't taken out insurance when you book your holiday you may not be covered if, for example, you had to cancel your holiday. Remember accidents and illnesses do happen on holiday and you could end up footing an expensive medical bill if you haven't taken out travel insurance."
Holiday travel insurance is important regardless of whether travellers are taking Caribbean or Barbados holidays or diving trips in the Red Sea. A recent case where a man on his Barbados holidays ended up with a £1,355 medical bill after suffering lacerations, proves that accidents can happen anywhere and any time. Fortunately the man had the appropriate travel insurance and was the bill was covered by the insurance provider.
Many travellers on long-haul holidays may discover that without the right insurance, cancellation of any flights may not be covered in their travel insurance.
It is important to make sure customers read the small print and take out adequate cover relevant for their holidays. This can include additional cover for on and off-piste snowboarding and skiing holidays, adrenalin sports, watersports, and backpacking trips where customers are likely to stay in the country for longer than 90 days.
British travellers carrying a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) must be aware that this does not act as travel insurance and will not cover certain costs if an accident or illness was to occur abroad.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...