Brits get savvy with 2010 holiday plans
Recent study released by Post Office Travel Money has shown that 77% of British holidaymakers are planning to take long haul holidays and Caribbean holidays this year despite the recent recession, and will be adapting their plans to suit their budgets.
UK holidaymakers are planning to take as much holiday time this year as they did in 2009 and are looking at different destination options offered by travel agents which will fit in with their new budgets to make sure they do not miss out on their annual breaks.
The research has revealed that many holidaymakers are sacrificing their main choice of holiday destination in order to still have the number of days away they are accustomed to. Almost half of holidaymakers are planning to take at least one 10 – 20 day holiday while one in ten are planning to take even longer long haul holidays lasting over three weeks. Rather than cancel their annual trips away, holidaymakers are looking for alternative cheap holidays to ensure they get their required holiday days.
Head of Post Office Travel Services, Sarah Munro, said:
"Despite financial pressures it seems holidays are not something that people are willing to give up. Instead they are choosing to switch their first choice destination to one which allows them to cut costs and to allow for that two week break. Holidaymakers should of course research deals carefully and consider all factors before they book.
"Although people are prepared to fly with budget airlines and stay in less expensive hotels, we're urging people not to cut corners on their travel essentials. Always make sure you exchange enough travel money before you go in order to get the best rates and don't scrimp on travel insurance. Cheaper policies are full of exclusions and your holiday could end up costing you a great deal more than you bargained for should the worst happen and you become ill or your holiday gets cancelled."
Holidaymakers are also cutting costs by choosing low budget airlines, cheaper hotels, "staycations", and travelling during off peak seasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...