Brits get savvy with 2010 holiday plans
Recent study released by Post Office Travel Money has shown that 77% of British holidaymakers are planning to take long haul holidays and Caribbean holidays this year despite the recent recession, and will be adapting their plans to suit their budgets.
UK holidaymakers are planning to take as much holiday time this year as they did in 2009 and are looking at different destination options offered by travel agents which will fit in with their new budgets to make sure they do not miss out on their annual breaks.
The research has revealed that many holidaymakers are sacrificing their main choice of holiday destination in order to still have the number of days away they are accustomed to. Almost half of holidaymakers are planning to take at least one 10 – 20 day holiday while one in ten are planning to take even longer long haul holidays lasting over three weeks. Rather than cancel their annual trips away, holidaymakers are looking for alternative cheap holidays to ensure they get their required holiday days.
Head of Post Office Travel Services, Sarah Munro, said:
"Despite financial pressures it seems holidays are not something that people are willing to give up. Instead they are choosing to switch their first choice destination to one which allows them to cut costs and to allow for that two week break. Holidaymakers should of course research deals carefully and consider all factors before they book.
"Although people are prepared to fly with budget airlines and stay in less expensive hotels, we're urging people not to cut corners on their travel essentials. Always make sure you exchange enough travel money before you go in order to get the best rates and don't scrimp on travel insurance. Cheaper policies are full of exclusions and your holiday could end up costing you a great deal more than you bargained for should the worst happen and you become ill or your holiday gets cancelled."
Holidaymakers are also cutting costs by choosing low budget airlines, cheaper hotels, "staycations", and travelling during off peak seasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...