Brits get savvy with 2010 holiday plans
Recent study released by Post Office Travel Money has shown that 77% of British holidaymakers are planning to take long haul holidays and Caribbean holidays this year despite the recent recession, and will be adapting their plans to suit their budgets.
UK holidaymakers are planning to take as much holiday time this year as they did in 2009 and are looking at different destination options offered by travel agents which will fit in with their new budgets to make sure they do not miss out on their annual breaks.
The research has revealed that many holidaymakers are sacrificing their main choice of holiday destination in order to still have the number of days away they are accustomed to. Almost half of holidaymakers are planning to take at least one 10 – 20 day holiday while one in ten are planning to take even longer long haul holidays lasting over three weeks. Rather than cancel their annual trips away, holidaymakers are looking for alternative cheap holidays to ensure they get their required holiday days.
Head of Post Office Travel Services, Sarah Munro, said:
"Despite financial pressures it seems holidays are not something that people are willing to give up. Instead they are choosing to switch their first choice destination to one which allows them to cut costs and to allow for that two week break. Holidaymakers should of course research deals carefully and consider all factors before they book.
"Although people are prepared to fly with budget airlines and stay in less expensive hotels, we're urging people not to cut corners on their travel essentials. Always make sure you exchange enough travel money before you go in order to get the best rates and don't scrimp on travel insurance. Cheaper policies are full of exclusions and your holiday could end up costing you a great deal more than you bargained for should the worst happen and you become ill or your holiday gets cancelled."
Holidaymakers are also cutting costs by choosing low budget airlines, cheaper hotels, "staycations", and travelling during off peak seasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your next summer holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...