Brits get savvy with 2010 holiday plans
Recent study released by Post Office Travel Money has shown that 77% of British holidaymakers are planning to take long haul holidays and Caribbean holidays this year despite the recent recession, and will be adapting their plans to suit their budgets.
UK holidaymakers are planning to take as much holiday time this year as they did in 2009 and are looking at different destination options offered by travel agents which will fit in with their new budgets to make sure they do not miss out on their annual breaks.
The research has revealed that many holidaymakers are sacrificing their main choice of holiday destination in order to still have the number of days away they are accustomed to. Almost half of holidaymakers are planning to take at least one 10 – 20 day holiday while one in ten are planning to take even longer long haul holidays lasting over three weeks. Rather than cancel their annual trips away, holidaymakers are looking for alternative cheap holidays to ensure they get their required holiday days.
Head of Post Office Travel Services, Sarah Munro, said:
"Despite financial pressures it seems holidays are not something that people are willing to give up. Instead they are choosing to switch their first choice destination to one which allows them to cut costs and to allow for that two week break. Holidaymakers should of course research deals carefully and consider all factors before they book.
"Although people are prepared to fly with budget airlines and stay in less expensive hotels, we're urging people not to cut corners on their travel essentials. Always make sure you exchange enough travel money before you go in order to get the best rates and don't scrimp on travel insurance. Cheaper policies are full of exclusions and your holiday could end up costing you a great deal more than you bargained for should the worst happen and you become ill or your holiday gets cancelled."
Holidaymakers are also cutting costs by choosing low budget airlines, cheaper hotels, "staycations", and travelling during off peak seasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...