Maintaining the charm of Cuba holidays as Minister calls to preserve traditions
Cuban Minister of Culture, Abel Prieto Jimenez is urging the country to do all it can to preserve its oldest customs and traditions to ensure their practice by future generations. He made this call after a visit to a tradition-rich city in eastern Cuba
In a bid to preserve the oldest and most charming of Cuban traditions, the Cuban Minister of Culture, Abel Prieto Jiménez, recently spoke out in Guantánamo stating that one of the nation’s main challenges was to preserve and transmit the love for traditions from one generation to the next one, and in this way ensure the ongoing celebration of traditional festivities and customs that could be extended as part of the Cuba holidays package for foreign visitors to enjoy.
Prieto, who is also a member of Cuba’s Political Bureau made this declaration with enthusiasm on his visit this weekend to the house dedicated to the autochthonous Changüí rhythm and the seat of French Tumba, a typical dance brought to Cuba from the many Creole-French speaking Haitians that emigrated to the country’s eastern areas.
During his trip the Minister highlighted his satisfaction at witnessing the passion of the people from Guantánamo for their traditions, “Which they respect, love and preserve in such a wonderful way” – he said expressing it should be an example to be followed in other Cuban cities.
The head of culture held an exchange with the cultivators who maintain alive these ancient dance-music expressions of high ethno/cultural value, born in the hills of eastern Cuba, a culturally rich region to be fully experienced on Cuba holidays.
In his visit to the Guaso Village, the Minister for Culture travelled through other cultural institutions, together with Luís Antonio Torres Iribar, First Secretary of the Communist party in the province, and he confessed he was impressed with everything that has been made in construction works for the social reanimation of the territory, readying it also for a future prospect of making this area tourist-friendly for travellers to enjoy during Cuba holidays.
“I have seen a city full of life, full of young people and cultural options” – Prieo added when addressing the press, also mentioning the big and heterogeneous animation around the stands of the Book Festival in this city, and the happiness of the children in the Children’s hall.
He emphasised on the challenges faced by the cultural institutions and by all of those entities related to the creation of healthy recreational options for the community, to maintain diverse options so that young people might use their free leisure time in an enriching manner.
“In these hard times, when we have to be very rational there is a huge movement in the cultural field and a stronger will from the Party and Government to advance, which allows us to make true miracles with small resources.”
During his stay in the eastern Cuban province the Minister held an encounter with the members of the Guantánamo-Baracoa Theatre Crusade, and he congratulated them for their twenty years taking their art to the inhabitants of the mountains and he classified the initiative as a true model of cultural work, that should be passed on to other Cuban areas as part of the Cuba holidays appeal.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...