Maintaining the charm of Cuba holidays as Minister calls to preserve traditions
Cuban Minister of Culture, Abel Prieto Jimenez is urging the country to do all it can to preserve its oldest customs and traditions to ensure their practice by future generations. He made this call after a visit to a tradition-rich city in eastern Cuba
In a bid to preserve the oldest and most charming of Cuban traditions, the Cuban Minister of Culture, Abel Prieto Jiménez, recently spoke out in Guantánamo stating that one of the nation’s main challenges was to preserve and transmit the love for traditions from one generation to the next one, and in this way ensure the ongoing celebration of traditional festivities and customs that could be extended as part of the Cuba holidays package for foreign visitors to enjoy.
Prieto, who is also a member of Cuba’s Political Bureau made this declaration with enthusiasm on his visit this weekend to the house dedicated to the autochthonous Changüí rhythm and the seat of French Tumba, a typical dance brought to Cuba from the many Creole-French speaking Haitians that emigrated to the country’s eastern areas.
During his trip the Minister highlighted his satisfaction at witnessing the passion of the people from Guantánamo for their traditions, “Which they respect, love and preserve in such a wonderful way” – he said expressing it should be an example to be followed in other Cuban cities.
The head of culture held an exchange with the cultivators who maintain alive these ancient dance-music expressions of high ethno/cultural value, born in the hills of eastern Cuba, a culturally rich region to be fully experienced on Cuba holidays.
In his visit to the Guaso Village, the Minister for Culture travelled through other cultural institutions, together with Luís Antonio Torres Iribar, First Secretary of the Communist party in the province, and he confessed he was impressed with everything that has been made in construction works for the social reanimation of the territory, readying it also for a future prospect of making this area tourist-friendly for travellers to enjoy during Cuba holidays.
“I have seen a city full of life, full of young people and cultural options” – Prieo added when addressing the press, also mentioning the big and heterogeneous animation around the stands of the Book Festival in this city, and the happiness of the children in the Children’s hall.
He emphasised on the challenges faced by the cultural institutions and by all of those entities related to the creation of healthy recreational options for the community, to maintain diverse options so that young people might use their free leisure time in an enriching manner.
“In these hard times, when we have to be very rational there is a huge movement in the cultural field and a stronger will from the Party and Government to advance, which allows us to make true miracles with small resources.”
During his stay in the eastern Cuban province the Minister held an encounter with the members of the Guantánamo-Baracoa Theatre Crusade, and he congratulated them for their twenty years taking their art to the inhabitants of the mountains and he classified the initiative as a true model of cultural work, that should be passed on to other Cuban areas as part of the Cuba holidays appeal.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...