Maintaining the charm of Cuba holidays as Minister calls to preserve traditions
Cuban Minister of Culture, Abel Prieto Jimenez is urging the country to do all it can to preserve its oldest customs and traditions to ensure their practice by future generations. He made this call after a visit to a tradition-rich city in eastern Cuba
In a bid to preserve the oldest and most charming of Cuban traditions, the Cuban Minister of Culture, Abel Prieto Jiménez, recently spoke out in Guantánamo stating that one of the nation’s main challenges was to preserve and transmit the love for traditions from one generation to the next one, and in this way ensure the ongoing celebration of traditional festivities and customs that could be extended as part of the Cuba holidays package for foreign visitors to enjoy.
Prieto, who is also a member of Cuba’s Political Bureau made this declaration with enthusiasm on his visit this weekend to the house dedicated to the autochthonous Changüí rhythm and the seat of French Tumba, a typical dance brought to Cuba from the many Creole-French speaking Haitians that emigrated to the country’s eastern areas.
During his trip the Minister highlighted his satisfaction at witnessing the passion of the people from Guantánamo for their traditions, “Which they respect, love and preserve in such a wonderful way” – he said expressing it should be an example to be followed in other Cuban cities.
The head of culture held an exchange with the cultivators who maintain alive these ancient dance-music expressions of high ethno/cultural value, born in the hills of eastern Cuba, a culturally rich region to be fully experienced on Cuba holidays.
In his visit to the Guaso Village, the Minister for Culture travelled through other cultural institutions, together with Luís Antonio Torres Iribar, First Secretary of the Communist party in the province, and he confessed he was impressed with everything that has been made in construction works for the social reanimation of the territory, readying it also for a future prospect of making this area tourist-friendly for travellers to enjoy during Cuba holidays.
“I have seen a city full of life, full of young people and cultural options” – Prieo added when addressing the press, also mentioning the big and heterogeneous animation around the stands of the Book Festival in this city, and the happiness of the children in the Children’s hall.
He emphasised on the challenges faced by the cultural institutions and by all of those entities related to the creation of healthy recreational options for the community, to maintain diverse options so that young people might use their free leisure time in an enriching manner.
“In these hard times, when we have to be very rational there is a huge movement in the cultural field and a stronger will from the Party and Government to advance, which allows us to make true miracles with small resources.”
During his stay in the eastern Cuban province the Minister held an encounter with the members of the Guantánamo-Baracoa Theatre Crusade, and he congratulated them for their twenty years taking their art to the inhabitants of the mountains and he classified the initiative as a true model of cultural work, that should be passed on to other Cuban areas as part of the Cuba holidays appeal.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...