Cuba holidays and its ecological treasures in Pinares de Mayari
With a fascinating range of uninterrupted greenery across 5300 hectares of lush pine tree landscapes, the Pinares del Mayari region constitues an authentic ecological wonder that has survived centures of climatic change due to the area's own micro-climate
For those who dream of eco-perfect Cuba holidays, the green population of the Pinus cubensis is so dense in Cuba’s eastern Mayarí Plateau, that seen from above it covers the deep red of the ferruginous soil, washed for millions of years and with vast reserves of iron, nickel and other minerals.
But for tourists wanting to get lost in this green paradise during their Cuba holidays we must say that it’s not the same to watch the landscape from a tourist light aircraft or a helicopter than from a land vehicle. The experience is much more spectacular as you drive across it in one of the green jeeps dedicated to local tours that depart from the beaches of Holguin.
Observed from land, the Pinares of Mayarí looks like very tall dark green columns towering over an uneven sea of deep scarlet land…a spectacular sight that leaves many nature lovers on Cuba holidays simply lost for words.
This 5,300-hectare plateau is 700 metres high, with enough altitude to generate a fresh microclimate that explains its exceptional prevalence of conifers. Those mountain ranges “full of pine trees” were frequent in the times of Christopher Columbus (1492), when the pine groves reached up to the nearby coastline and the Genovese sailor was exploring Cuba’s northeast, nowadays however they are a rare and precious site not to be missed during naturist Cuba holidays.
The pine groves of Mayarí, which are a real natural monument near the namesake town, are located 90 km from the popular Guardalavaca Beach and 110 km from Holguin City. They cover the central zone of the Nipe Plateau, which surrounds them with calcareous hills featured by ravines, some with beautiful waterfalls and water rapids that flow onto the river at the bordering plain. One of them and the most spectacular of them all is the big Salto del Guayabo (Guayabo Waterfall), which emerges from a natural spring on top of the plateau, and then joins the Mayarí River.
A natural wonder in its own right (not to be missed during Cuba holidays in Holguin); the tropical latitude where these mild zone trees grow in Cuba, apparently suffered from low temperatures during the past glaciations of the planet and thanks to a micro-climate that has survived the tropicalisation of the country, this green pine forestation has managed to survive escaping higher temperatures and remaining intact. Other places of the Cuban archipelago report the existence of those big pine groves, already tropicalized, though with other species of coniferous trees that are timber-yielding too.
Today, the Pinares de Mayarí is widely recognised as an exceptional ecological treasure, full of one-of-a-kind landscapes, contained a singular micro-climate that is home to several dozens of odd Antillean fauna and flora species, with places of special scientific and tourist interest, and many others yet to be discovered.
On a Sunday, 25th November, 1492 Columbus wrote about this place on the diary of his first trip to Cuba: “…the very high mountains, from where a lot very beautiful waters fell; all the mountains full of pine trees and very cool and beautiful tree woods everywhere…”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...