Mexico travel rebounds as Spring-Breakers give Cancun holidays a boost
Recent figures disclosed by Travelocity are showing a significant increase in travel to Mexico, especially from US visitors and spring breakers that famously favour Cancun holidays as their preferred beach holiday destination during this holiday season.
Bouncing back from last year’s negative press surrounding swine flu health scares and unrest along its border, Mexico and Cancun holidays more specifically are finally re-emerging as this year’s spring break success story, luring people with some competitive travel deals and reclaiming its rank as one of the top Caribbean holidays spots. Travelocity’s Spring Break Travel Report recently disclosed information that travellers are returning to popular Mexican spots for holidays in Cancun, which climbed from the number 10 spring break spot last year to the number 5 spot now in 2010.
A deeper look into Mexico travel and its top popular holiday hotspots and luxury holidays market revealed lower-than-average hotel rates and airfares, which are main key contributors to the recent travel up-turn this year. Generally speaking, shares of travel to Mexico are up by a whopping 25 % and this is due to a number of factors.
While the average international airfare is up 3 % over last year’s numbers the hotel rates are down for the same 3 % figure, evening the whole thing out and explaining why Cancun holidays are back on the up regardless of the heavily taxed airlines and the increasing fare prices. But there is more to support the rise in Mexico travel as Mexico data shows declines for both airfares and hotel rates, making package deals more competitive and alluring than ever. On average, Travelocity customers save just by booking their flight and hotel together, compared to booking the same flight and hotel components separately, making package deals more appealing than ever. Travellers heading to Cancun holidays this spring break can get even more bang for their buck by shopping for a package deal at an all-inclusive resort.
“Last year, unrest around its border and an unhealthy world economy dealt a double blow to Mexico tourism during the spring break travel period,” - says Travelocity senior editor, Genevieve Shaw Brown -“These factors forced prices to the destination down, and now Mexico is reaping the benefits of cheap travel costs with the return of spring breakers who are looking for deals.”
Overall, international travel share is up by 20 %, largely because Mexico’s popularity is on the mend with the return of U.S. travellers to Cancun holidays as young American spring breakers take the resort by storm. Deals to Caribbean holidays also contribute to the spike in international travel with share to the islands up 17 %.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...