Mexico travel rebounds as Spring-Breakers give Cancun holidays a boost
Recent figures disclosed by Travelocity are showing a significant increase in travel to Mexico, especially from US visitors and spring breakers that famously favour Cancun holidays as their preferred beach holiday destination during this holiday season.
Bouncing back from last year’s negative press surrounding swine flu health scares and unrest along its border, Mexico and Cancun holidays more specifically are finally re-emerging as this year’s spring break success story, luring people with some competitive travel deals and reclaiming its rank as one of the top Caribbean holidays spots. Travelocity’s Spring Break Travel Report recently disclosed information that travellers are returning to popular Mexican spots for holidays in Cancun, which climbed from the number 10 spring break spot last year to the number 5 spot now in 2010.
A deeper look into Mexico travel and its top popular holiday hotspots and luxury holidays market revealed lower-than-average hotel rates and airfares, which are main key contributors to the recent travel up-turn this year. Generally speaking, shares of travel to Mexico are up by a whopping 25 % and this is due to a number of factors.
While the average international airfare is up 3 % over last year’s numbers the hotel rates are down for the same 3 % figure, evening the whole thing out and explaining why Cancun holidays are back on the up regardless of the heavily taxed airlines and the increasing fare prices. But there is more to support the rise in Mexico travel as Mexico data shows declines for both airfares and hotel rates, making package deals more competitive and alluring than ever. On average, Travelocity customers save just by booking their flight and hotel together, compared to booking the same flight and hotel components separately, making package deals more appealing than ever. Travellers heading to Cancun holidays this spring break can get even more bang for their buck by shopping for a package deal at an all-inclusive resort.
“Last year, unrest around its border and an unhealthy world economy dealt a double blow to Mexico tourism during the spring break travel period,” - says Travelocity senior editor, Genevieve Shaw Brown -“These factors forced prices to the destination down, and now Mexico is reaping the benefits of cheap travel costs with the return of spring breakers who are looking for deals.”
Overall, international travel share is up by 20 %, largely because Mexico’s popularity is on the mend with the return of U.S. travellers to Cancun holidays as young American spring breakers take the resort by storm. Deals to Caribbean holidays also contribute to the spike in international travel with share to the islands up 17 %.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...