Mexico travel rebounds as Spring-Breakers give Cancun holidays a boost
Recent figures disclosed by Travelocity are showing a significant increase in travel to Mexico, especially from US visitors and spring breakers that famously favour Cancun holidays as their preferred beach holiday destination during this holiday season.
Bouncing back from last year’s negative press surrounding swine flu health scares and unrest along its border, Mexico and Cancun holidays more specifically are finally re-emerging as this year’s spring break success story, luring people with some competitive travel deals and reclaiming its rank as one of the top Caribbean holidays spots. Travelocity’s Spring Break Travel Report recently disclosed information that travellers are returning to popular Mexican spots for holidays in Cancun, which climbed from the number 10 spring break spot last year to the number 5 spot now in 2010.
A deeper look into Mexico travel and its top popular holiday hotspots and luxury holidays market revealed lower-than-average hotel rates and airfares, which are main key contributors to the recent travel up-turn this year. Generally speaking, shares of travel to Mexico are up by a whopping 25 % and this is due to a number of factors.
While the average international airfare is up 3 % over last year’s numbers the hotel rates are down for the same 3 % figure, evening the whole thing out and explaining why Cancun holidays are back on the up regardless of the heavily taxed airlines and the increasing fare prices. But there is more to support the rise in Mexico travel as Mexico data shows declines for both airfares and hotel rates, making package deals more competitive and alluring than ever. On average, Travelocity customers save just by booking their flight and hotel together, compared to booking the same flight and hotel components separately, making package deals more appealing than ever. Travellers heading to Cancun holidays this spring break can get even more bang for their buck by shopping for a package deal at an all-inclusive resort.
“Last year, unrest around its border and an unhealthy world economy dealt a double blow to Mexico tourism during the spring break travel period,” - says Travelocity senior editor, Genevieve Shaw Brown -“These factors forced prices to the destination down, and now Mexico is reaping the benefits of cheap travel costs with the return of spring breakers who are looking for deals.”
Overall, international travel share is up by 20 %, largely because Mexico’s popularity is on the mend with the return of U.S. travellers to Cancun holidays as young American spring breakers take the resort by storm. Deals to Caribbean holidays also contribute to the spike in international travel with share to the islands up 17 %.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...