Mexico travel rebounds as Spring-Breakers give Cancun holidays a boost
Recent figures disclosed by Travelocity are showing a significant increase in travel to Mexico, especially from US visitors and spring breakers that famously favour Cancun holidays as their preferred beach holiday destination during this holiday season.
Bouncing back from last year’s negative press surrounding swine flu health scares and unrest along its border, Mexico and Cancun holidays more specifically are finally re-emerging as this year’s spring break success story, luring people with some competitive travel deals and reclaiming its rank as one of the top Caribbean holidays spots. Travelocity’s Spring Break Travel Report recently disclosed information that travellers are returning to popular Mexican spots for holidays in Cancun, which climbed from the number 10 spring break spot last year to the number 5 spot now in 2010.
A deeper look into Mexico travel and its top popular holiday hotspots and luxury holidays market revealed lower-than-average hotel rates and airfares, which are main key contributors to the recent travel up-turn this year. Generally speaking, shares of travel to Mexico are up by a whopping 25 % and this is due to a number of factors.
While the average international airfare is up 3 % over last year’s numbers the hotel rates are down for the same 3 % figure, evening the whole thing out and explaining why Cancun holidays are back on the up regardless of the heavily taxed airlines and the increasing fare prices. But there is more to support the rise in Mexico travel as Mexico data shows declines for both airfares and hotel rates, making package deals more competitive and alluring than ever. On average, Travelocity customers save just by booking their flight and hotel together, compared to booking the same flight and hotel components separately, making package deals more appealing than ever. Travellers heading to Cancun holidays this spring break can get even more bang for their buck by shopping for a package deal at an all-inclusive resort.
“Last year, unrest around its border and an unhealthy world economy dealt a double blow to Mexico tourism during the spring break travel period,” - says Travelocity senior editor, Genevieve Shaw Brown -“These factors forced prices to the destination down, and now Mexico is reaping the benefits of cheap travel costs with the return of spring breakers who are looking for deals.”
Overall, international travel share is up by 20 %, largely because Mexico’s popularity is on the mend with the return of U.S. travellers to Cancun holidays as young American spring breakers take the resort by storm. Deals to Caribbean holidays also contribute to the spike in international travel with share to the islands up 17 %.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....