Transforming Cuba holidays in a World Heritage Site
The legendary and historic Calle Maceo in Camaguey is currently under major construction works to revamp its image, repair its facades and convert it into a lively boulevard as it would have been during the colonial years in this Cuban city.
Building works to transform the picturesque Calle Maceo into a boulevard, a project included in the Management Plan for the area declared World Heritage Site was started at the beginning of this month with works being carried out since 1st March 2010.
For the benefit of Cuba holidays in the region, to make it more appealing to tourists and more lively for citizens the new changes to this long street are intended to substantially improve the aesthetics and functions of what has been formerly known as Calle de los Mercaderes (Merchants Street). Holding a great historic value as a notorious street that saw much trade activity since the beginning of the 18th Century., this forgotten city will be given back its old age glamour and livelihood with the addition of a street market boulevard to breath life into its legendary cobbled pavement. The major investor of the project is the Camagüey City Historian Office (OHCC).
Teresa Pascual, manager of the Historian Office Master Plan, asserted to Cuban News Agency that the initial phase, calculated to last four months, will comprise the repairing works of one of the two blocks that make up this popular street: the one between Plaza Maceo and Calle General Gómez.
Introducing the latest technology to these old streets while maintaining its unique old charm, this new project’s works will eliminate sidewalks and level the whole surface of the street with electrical wires and additional nets going underground for an overall better and neater outlook.
The implementation of the project also includes the remodelling of the façades of several buildings, among which the popular Coppelia ice cream parlour stands out, bringing a freshly designed and revamped venue offering refreshing delights to tourists enjoying Cuba holidays and locals wanting a break from the scorching sun. Works will also include the enhancement of street maintenance services, the reassignment of the functions of a number of business, as well as the installation of solar panels and ornamental vegetation. The whole space will be transformed into an authentic pedestrian street that will be a pleasure to walk on during your Camaguey holidays in Cuba.
Several organisations will also participate in the works, which will also have impact in the squares located at both ends of the street and the park nearby.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...