Transforming Cuba holidays in a World Heritage Site
The legendary and historic Calle Maceo in Camaguey is currently under major construction works to revamp its image, repair its facades and convert it into a lively boulevard as it would have been during the colonial years in this Cuban city.
Building works to transform the picturesque Calle Maceo into a boulevard, a project included in the Management Plan for the area declared World Heritage Site was started at the beginning of this month with works being carried out since 1st March 2010.
For the benefit of Cuba holidays in the region, to make it more appealing to tourists and more lively for citizens the new changes to this long street are intended to substantially improve the aesthetics and functions of what has been formerly known as Calle de los Mercaderes (Merchants Street). Holding a great historic value as a notorious street that saw much trade activity since the beginning of the 18th Century., this forgotten city will be given back its old age glamour and livelihood with the addition of a street market boulevard to breath life into its legendary cobbled pavement. The major investor of the project is the Camagüey City Historian Office (OHCC).
Teresa Pascual, manager of the Historian Office Master Plan, asserted to Cuban News Agency that the initial phase, calculated to last four months, will comprise the repairing works of one of the two blocks that make up this popular street: the one between Plaza Maceo and Calle General Gómez.
Introducing the latest technology to these old streets while maintaining its unique old charm, this new project’s works will eliminate sidewalks and level the whole surface of the street with electrical wires and additional nets going underground for an overall better and neater outlook.
The implementation of the project also includes the remodelling of the façades of several buildings, among which the popular Coppelia ice cream parlour stands out, bringing a freshly designed and revamped venue offering refreshing delights to tourists enjoying Cuba holidays and locals wanting a break from the scorching sun. Works will also include the enhancement of street maintenance services, the reassignment of the functions of a number of business, as well as the installation of solar panels and ornamental vegetation. The whole space will be transformed into an authentic pedestrian street that will be a pleasure to walk on during your Camaguey holidays in Cuba.
Several organisations will also participate in the works, which will also have impact in the squares located at both ends of the street and the park nearby.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...