Transforming Cuba holidays in a World Heritage Site
The legendary and historic Calle Maceo in Camaguey is currently under major construction works to revamp its image, repair its facades and convert it into a lively boulevard as it would have been during the colonial years in this Cuban city.
Building works to transform the picturesque Calle Maceo into a boulevard, a project included in the Management Plan for the area declared World Heritage Site was started at the beginning of this month with works being carried out since 1st March 2010.
For the benefit of Cuba holidays in the region, to make it more appealing to tourists and more lively for citizens the new changes to this long street are intended to substantially improve the aesthetics and functions of what has been formerly known as Calle de los Mercaderes (Merchants Street). Holding a great historic value as a notorious street that saw much trade activity since the beginning of the 18th Century., this forgotten city will be given back its old age glamour and livelihood with the addition of a street market boulevard to breath life into its legendary cobbled pavement. The major investor of the project is the Camagüey City Historian Office (OHCC).
Teresa Pascual, manager of the Historian Office Master Plan, asserted to Cuban News Agency that the initial phase, calculated to last four months, will comprise the repairing works of one of the two blocks that make up this popular street: the one between Plaza Maceo and Calle General Gómez.
Introducing the latest technology to these old streets while maintaining its unique old charm, this new project’s works will eliminate sidewalks and level the whole surface of the street with electrical wires and additional nets going underground for an overall better and neater outlook.
The implementation of the project also includes the remodelling of the façades of several buildings, among which the popular Coppelia ice cream parlour stands out, bringing a freshly designed and revamped venue offering refreshing delights to tourists enjoying Cuba holidays and locals wanting a break from the scorching sun. Works will also include the enhancement of street maintenance services, the reassignment of the functions of a number of business, as well as the installation of solar panels and ornamental vegetation. The whole space will be transformed into an authentic pedestrian street that will be a pleasure to walk on during your Camaguey holidays in Cuba.
Several organisations will also participate in the works, which will also have impact in the squares located at both ends of the street and the park nearby.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...