Transforming Cuba holidays in a World Heritage Site
The legendary and historic Calle Maceo in Camaguey is currently under major construction works to revamp its image, repair its facades and convert it into a lively boulevard as it would have been during the colonial years in this Cuban city.
Building works to transform the picturesque Calle Maceo into a boulevard, a project included in the Management Plan for the area declared World Heritage Site was started at the beginning of this month with works being carried out since 1st March 2010.
For the benefit of Cuba holidays in the region, to make it more appealing to tourists and more lively for citizens the new changes to this long street are intended to substantially improve the aesthetics and functions of what has been formerly known as Calle de los Mercaderes (Merchants Street). Holding a great historic value as a notorious street that saw much trade activity since the beginning of the 18th Century., this forgotten city will be given back its old age glamour and livelihood with the addition of a street market boulevard to breath life into its legendary cobbled pavement. The major investor of the project is the Camagüey City Historian Office (OHCC).
Teresa Pascual, manager of the Historian Office Master Plan, asserted to Cuban News Agency that the initial phase, calculated to last four months, will comprise the repairing works of one of the two blocks that make up this popular street: the one between Plaza Maceo and Calle General Gómez.
Introducing the latest technology to these old streets while maintaining its unique old charm, this new project’s works will eliminate sidewalks and level the whole surface of the street with electrical wires and additional nets going underground for an overall better and neater outlook.
The implementation of the project also includes the remodelling of the façades of several buildings, among which the popular Coppelia ice cream parlour stands out, bringing a freshly designed and revamped venue offering refreshing delights to tourists enjoying Cuba holidays and locals wanting a break from the scorching sun. Works will also include the enhancement of street maintenance services, the reassignment of the functions of a number of business, as well as the installation of solar panels and ornamental vegetation. The whole space will be transformed into an authentic pedestrian street that will be a pleasure to walk on during your Camaguey holidays in Cuba.
Several organisations will also participate in the works, which will also have impact in the squares located at both ends of the street and the park nearby.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...