Transforming Cuba holidays in a World Heritage Site
The legendary and historic Calle Maceo in Camaguey is currently under major construction works to revamp its image, repair its facades and convert it into a lively boulevard as it would have been during the colonial years in this Cuban city.
Building works to transform the picturesque Calle Maceo into a boulevard, a project included in the Management Plan for the area declared World Heritage Site was started at the beginning of this month with works being carried out since 1st March 2010.
For the benefit of Cuba holidays in the region, to make it more appealing to tourists and more lively for citizens the new changes to this long street are intended to substantially improve the aesthetics and functions of what has been formerly known as Calle de los Mercaderes (Merchants Street). Holding a great historic value as a notorious street that saw much trade activity since the beginning of the 18th Century., this forgotten city will be given back its old age glamour and livelihood with the addition of a street market boulevard to breath life into its legendary cobbled pavement. The major investor of the project is the Camagüey City Historian Office (OHCC).
Teresa Pascual, manager of the Historian Office Master Plan, asserted to Cuban News Agency that the initial phase, calculated to last four months, will comprise the repairing works of one of the two blocks that make up this popular street: the one between Plaza Maceo and Calle General Gómez.
Introducing the latest technology to these old streets while maintaining its unique old charm, this new project’s works will eliminate sidewalks and level the whole surface of the street with electrical wires and additional nets going underground for an overall better and neater outlook.
The implementation of the project also includes the remodelling of the façades of several buildings, among which the popular Coppelia ice cream parlour stands out, bringing a freshly designed and revamped venue offering refreshing delights to tourists enjoying Cuba holidays and locals wanting a break from the scorching sun. Works will also include the enhancement of street maintenance services, the reassignment of the functions of a number of business, as well as the installation of solar panels and ornamental vegetation. The whole space will be transformed into an authentic pedestrian street that will be a pleasure to walk on during your Camaguey holidays in Cuba.
Several organisations will also participate in the works, which will also have impact in the squares located at both ends of the street and the park nearby.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...