Unity is primordial when dealing with the challenges Caribbean holidays face
Last week, during the Summit for Latin American and Caribbean Unity, Dominican Republic president Leonel Fernandez urged participating countries to unite forces in order to effectively face the many challenges the Caribbean region was facing
The president of the Dominican Republic, Leonel Fernandez, made a plea last week urging the Caribbean leaders meeting at the Summit for Latin American and Caribbean Unity to solve the many challenges Caribbean holidays are facing by uniting forces.
“Our countries have a strong tendency toward institutional dispersion and that can be a serious obstacle for the unity we aspire to achieve” - said the Dominican Republic head of state during an interview with the Telesur television network.
He highlighted that the concept of Caribbean holidays included not only the islands in this region but also the nations of the Caribbean Sea basin, such as Cancun holidays, Central America, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana and Suriname.
“That means we’re talking about UNASUR, MERCOUR, the Group of Rio, the Andean Community, the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), the organisation of the French-speaking islands and that of Central American nations” - he added.
He assured that this implies a diversity of criteria, interests and approaches, so regional unity will require some time –the amount of which he considered impossible to predict but nevertheless it was primordial to start making efforts to join forces and strengths to face the adversities Caribbean holidays are currently facing and may face in the near future.
While answering questions asked by Telesur, the leader expressed his confidence in the final success of the unifying efforts of Latin American and Caribbean nations, but added that it will be obtained at the expense of a lot of patience, understanding, tolerance and maturity of the part of all nations involved, since we have to understand each other in our diversity, he pointed out.
He described as something very positive the existence of so many sub-regional organizations, since, in his opinion, it expresses an intention on the part of countries of grouping themselves, which has existed for years. Therefore, he stated, the future consolidation of the unifying body will not necessarily imply the disappearance of these entities.
Fernandez considered that between this moment and the Caracas Summit in 2011 there will be a space in which all leaders in the region will have the opportunity to reflect and take careful and mature steps toward the unity we want to achieve.
The two-day Latin American and Caribbean Summit for Unity was held at the Gran Velas Hotel of the Mayan Riviera in Mexico, where some 25 heads of state and government laid the foundations for the creation of a regional body embracing the 33 nations in the area: the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...