Yachting event boosting Barbados holidays
A new sailing regatta has been announced by the Barbados Ministry of Tourism as a new way to boost sports tourism to the island. The event named "Fireball Barbados World's 2010" is due to take place from 24th April - 7th May, 2010.
The hosting of the prestigious yachting event known as the Fireball International World Championship this year is part of a deliberate strategy by the Barbados government to boost sports related tourism and sporty Barbados holidays.
The re-emergence of this event for the benefit of Barbados holidays was emphasised by Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, as he addressed the recent launch of the event dubbed "Fireball Barbados World's 2010", at the Barbados Yacht Club (BYC) in Bay Street.
"One has to look at the backdrop against which this is happening and the determination by Government that we need to have sports tourism not just to help us out of this recession in terms of driving more numbers to Barbados, but certainly something that can be expanded upon to truly take Barbados' tourism to another level." – the Minister said when addressing the organisers and sponsors,
He also added that it was important to understand that even some of the non-traditional sports, not previously embraced, from a tourism point of view, had now to be accepted in order to be on the competitive edge of Caribbean holidays with a sports interest.
Robert Povey and Colin Symes are the two captains who will be representing Barbados in the next "Fireball Barbados Worlds 2010" event, taking place from 24th April to 7th May. The world class competition will be staged here for the first time, with major sponsorship from the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA).
Sealy, in lauding the work of the sports department of the BTA also observed: "You hear of sports tourism now in other areas - polo, lawn tennis and of course the whole marine sports... so this is really part of a deliberate strategy to try to broaden and deepen the whole concept of sports tourism in order to have it as a tool for developing our tourism generally."
Describing how the island was a tremendous venue for yachting, idyllic for nautical Barbados holidays, he explained how it was appropriate for its sailing capabilities to be developed, as the island also possessed"tremendous geography, being the first landform over the Atlantic"
"There is far more we can do even beyond Fireballs and those smaller and larger vessels," Mr. Sealy declared, noting also that the game fishing community and the Annual Mount Gay Regatta continued to boost sports tourism for Caribbean holidays.
Meanwhile, President of the BSA, Penny McIntyre acknowledged that Fireball Barbados World's 2010 was a fantastic way to begin "what might well become the best decade of sailing in Barbados". She praised Government for recognising that Barbados had "one of the remarkable sailing venues in the world" and expressed the hope that the World Championships would be an inspiration for sailors, both young and old and that locals and visitors would "come out and support the spectacle, while putting Barbados on the world sailing map".
Approximately 20 countries are expected to be represented at Fireball Barbados World's 2010 with over 76 Fireball dinghies and some 150 sailors, their families and friends expected to be on the the island for Barbados holidays during the tournament. Barbados itself will be represented by three teams captained by Colin Symes, Robert Povey and Robin Patterson.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Stay and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
The tranquil spa and relaxation space at Tamarind by Elegant Hotels complements the beauty of the sea and sand as well as the chic contemporary design.
- Incredible savings of up to 50%, extra savings now available in the February sale
- Enjoy complimentary motorised water sports and Kids Club
- Book the Elegance Dine Around Half Board or Full Board Meal Plans and also dine at the Oceanfront Italian Restaurant Daphne's for Dinner.
- Only 20 minutes from the island capital of Bridgetown
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, Almond Beach Resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
- Enjoy a Complimentary Island Safari Tour, A fantastic FREE power Boat Trip with a Swim With Turtles and a FREE Half day Island Coach Tour
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Venture to the island of Barbados where pristine beaches and the turquoise waters of the Caribbean await. To the south...