Yachting event boosting Barbados holidays
A new sailing regatta has been announced by the Barbados Ministry of Tourism as a new way to boost sports tourism to the island. The event named "Fireball Barbados World's 2010" is due to take place from 24th April - 7th May, 2010.
The hosting of the prestigious yachting event known as the Fireball International World Championship this year is part of a deliberate strategy by the Barbados government to boost sports related tourism and sporty Barbados holidays.
The re-emergence of this event for the benefit of Barbados holidays was emphasised by Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, as he addressed the recent launch of the event dubbed "Fireball Barbados World's 2010", at the Barbados Yacht Club (BYC) in Bay Street.
"One has to look at the backdrop against which this is happening and the determination by Government that we need to have sports tourism not just to help us out of this recession in terms of driving more numbers to Barbados, but certainly something that can be expanded upon to truly take Barbados' tourism to another level." – the Minister said when addressing the organisers and sponsors,
He also added that it was important to understand that even some of the non-traditional sports, not previously embraced, from a tourism point of view, had now to be accepted in order to be on the competitive edge of Caribbean holidays with a sports interest.
Robert Povey and Colin Symes are the two captains who will be representing Barbados in the next "Fireball Barbados Worlds 2010" event, taking place from 24th April to 7th May. The world class competition will be staged here for the first time, with major sponsorship from the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA).
Sealy, in lauding the work of the sports department of the BTA also observed: "You hear of sports tourism now in other areas - polo, lawn tennis and of course the whole marine sports... so this is really part of a deliberate strategy to try to broaden and deepen the whole concept of sports tourism in order to have it as a tool for developing our tourism generally."
Describing how the island was a tremendous venue for yachting, idyllic for nautical Barbados holidays, he explained how it was appropriate for its sailing capabilities to be developed, as the island also possessed"tremendous geography, being the first landform over the Atlantic"
"There is far more we can do even beyond Fireballs and those smaller and larger vessels," Mr. Sealy declared, noting also that the game fishing community and the Annual Mount Gay Regatta continued to boost sports tourism for Caribbean holidays.
Meanwhile, President of the BSA, Penny McIntyre acknowledged that Fireball Barbados World's 2010 was a fantastic way to begin "what might well become the best decade of sailing in Barbados". She praised Government for recognising that Barbados had "one of the remarkable sailing venues in the world" and expressed the hope that the World Championships would be an inspiration for sailors, both young and old and that locals and visitors would "come out and support the spectacle, while putting Barbados on the world sailing map".
Approximately 20 countries are expected to be represented at Fireball Barbados World's 2010 with over 76 Fireball dinghies and some 150 sailors, their families and friends expected to be on the the island for Barbados holidays during the tournament. Barbados itself will be represented by three teams captained by Colin Symes, Robert Povey and Robin Patterson.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Sugar Bay is perfect for travelling solo, enjoying a romantic getaway or special family escape
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- Enjoy a Hot Summer now on with savings of upto 40% plus $20 Spa Credit per person
- Ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the capital, Bridgetown
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...