Compulsory Medical Insurance to be required for Cuba holidays
According to a new government measured revealed on Saturday by the online edition of Cuba's Official Gazzette, a cash-strapped Cuba will from May this year require visitors travelling to the island to purchase compulsory health insurance.
A cash-strapped Cuba will soon be requiring visitors on Cuba holidays to buy health insurance if they want to enter the country, according to a new government measure disclosed on Saturday.
Under the new measure, which will take effect from May, the compulsory health insurance will be sold by foreign companies approved by the Cuban government or by Cuban firms at ports of entry to the communist-led island, the government said in the online edition of Cuba's Official Gazette.
The measure decrees that it won’t be just tourists taking Cuba holidays who require health insurance, but foreigners with temporary residence in Cuba and Cubans living abroad who return home to visit will also have to be insured.
The only ones to be exempt from this new rule will be diplomats and representatives of accredited international organisations. The cost of this new health insurance has not been disclosed as of yet
For long Cuba has taken pride in having a strong healthcare system, which is provided free to its citizens and once upon a time offered for a low cost to foreigners.
But the island has been hit hard by the global recession and is looking for new sources of revenue to boost its depleted financial reserves.
Cuba travel and tourism to the island are the country’s main sources of income. In 2009, it was estimated that a total 2.42 went the Caribbean island to enjoy Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...