Compulsory Medical Insurance to be required for Cuba holidays
According to a new government measured revealed on Saturday by the online edition of Cuba's Official Gazzette, a cash-strapped Cuba will from May this year require visitors travelling to the island to purchase compulsory health insurance.
A cash-strapped Cuba will soon be requiring visitors on Cuba holidays to buy health insurance if they want to enter the country, according to a new government measure disclosed on Saturday.
Under the new measure, which will take effect from May, the compulsory health insurance will be sold by foreign companies approved by the Cuban government or by Cuban firms at ports of entry to the communist-led island, the government said in the online edition of Cuba's Official Gazette.
The measure decrees that it won’t be just tourists taking Cuba holidays who require health insurance, but foreigners with temporary residence in Cuba and Cubans living abroad who return home to visit will also have to be insured.
The only ones to be exempt from this new rule will be diplomats and representatives of accredited international organisations. The cost of this new health insurance has not been disclosed as of yet
For long Cuba has taken pride in having a strong healthcare system, which is provided free to its citizens and once upon a time offered for a low cost to foreigners.
But the island has been hit hard by the global recession and is looking for new sources of revenue to boost its depleted financial reserves.
Cuba travel and tourism to the island are the country’s main sources of income. In 2009, it was estimated that a total 2.42 went the Caribbean island to enjoy Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...