Passengers on Oman holidays enjoy Wi-Fi and cellular calls during flights
Travellers taking Oman holidays with Oman Air will be able to enjoy browsing the internet and mobile phone calls on flights as the airline becomes the first to offer this state of the art in-flight service to passengers.
The modern technology in-flight service is being offered by one of the less predictable airlines, Oman Air, and debuted on the Muscat to London Heathrow flight last week on the airline's Airbus A330. Passengers returning from holidays in Oman enjoyed a flight browsing wireless internet and making calls and texting messages from mobile phones to friends, family and colleagues 30,000 feet below.
Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Oman Air, Philippe Georgiou, said:
"It was a very successful experience. We provide cutting edge technology because we want to be pioneers in whatever we do. You are fully connected just as you are on the ground, and I would expect the major carriers to follow quickly."
Some may be surprised that other larger airlines did not beat them to it but despite British Airways and Air France being the first to fly the Concorde; Singapore Airlines offering the first ever first class suites, and Virgin soon flying into space, Oman Air were the pioneers to launch Wi-Fi internet access on flights.
"It's been a race against the clock. This shows how a modest local airline expanded into the international arena and managed to position itself as a first choice airline for discerning travellers."
OnAir, the Swiss technology, allows passengers on holidays to Oman to use both the internet and cellular services on flights and is achieved by using Inmarsat SwiftBroadband.
CEO of OnAir, Benoit Debains, said:
"There is Wi-Fi available in-flight in the US, and in-flight cellular services have been offered outside of the US, but this is the first time that these two products are flying together on the same aircraft. So passengers can use their own cell phones, and they will be billed by their own cellular provider as if they are roaming anywhere in the world, and a Wi-Fi service which is available to passengers for purchase using a credit card."
Oman Air currently provides flights for travellers taking Oman holidays from destinations all across the world including Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the Maldives, UK, France, Germany, Thailand and ten cities across the Middle East and India.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Soak in the vitamin D on Phuket’s sun-kissed coastline with a stay the Rawai Palm Beach Resort, a matter of steps from...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...