Passengers on Oman holidays enjoy Wi-Fi and cellular calls during flights
Travellers taking Oman holidays with Oman Air will be able to enjoy browsing the internet and mobile phone calls on flights as the airline becomes the first to offer this state of the art in-flight service to passengers.
The modern technology in-flight service is being offered by one of the less predictable airlines, Oman Air, and debuted on the Muscat to London Heathrow flight last week on the airline's Airbus A330. Passengers returning from holidays in Oman enjoyed a flight browsing wireless internet and making calls and texting messages from mobile phones to friends, family and colleagues 30,000 feet below.
Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Oman Air, Philippe Georgiou, said:
"It was a very successful experience. We provide cutting edge technology because we want to be pioneers in whatever we do. You are fully connected just as you are on the ground, and I would expect the major carriers to follow quickly."
Some may be surprised that other larger airlines did not beat them to it but despite British Airways and Air France being the first to fly the Concorde; Singapore Airlines offering the first ever first class suites, and Virgin soon flying into space, Oman Air were the pioneers to launch Wi-Fi internet access on flights.
"It's been a race against the clock. This shows how a modest local airline expanded into the international arena and managed to position itself as a first choice airline for discerning travellers."
OnAir, the Swiss technology, allows passengers on holidays to Oman to use both the internet and cellular services on flights and is achieved by using Inmarsat SwiftBroadband.
CEO of OnAir, Benoit Debains, said:
"There is Wi-Fi available in-flight in the US, and in-flight cellular services have been offered outside of the US, but this is the first time that these two products are flying together on the same aircraft. So passengers can use their own cell phones, and they will be billed by their own cellular provider as if they are roaming anywhere in the world, and a Wi-Fi service which is available to passengers for purchase using a credit card."
Oman Air currently provides flights for travellers taking Oman holidays from destinations all across the world including Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the Maldives, UK, France, Germany, Thailand and ten cities across the Middle East and India.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...