Passengers on Oman holidays enjoy Wi-Fi and cellular calls during flights
Travellers taking Oman holidays with Oman Air will be able to enjoy browsing the internet and mobile phone calls on flights as the airline becomes the first to offer this state of the art in-flight service to passengers.
The modern technology in-flight service is being offered by one of the less predictable airlines, Oman Air, and debuted on the Muscat to London Heathrow flight last week on the airline's Airbus A330. Passengers returning from holidays in Oman enjoyed a flight browsing wireless internet and making calls and texting messages from mobile phones to friends, family and colleagues 30,000 feet below.
Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Oman Air, Philippe Georgiou, said:
"It was a very successful experience. We provide cutting edge technology because we want to be pioneers in whatever we do. You are fully connected just as you are on the ground, and I would expect the major carriers to follow quickly."
Some may be surprised that other larger airlines did not beat them to it but despite British Airways and Air France being the first to fly the Concorde; Singapore Airlines offering the first ever first class suites, and Virgin soon flying into space, Oman Air were the pioneers to launch Wi-Fi internet access on flights.
"It's been a race against the clock. This shows how a modest local airline expanded into the international arena and managed to position itself as a first choice airline for discerning travellers."
OnAir, the Swiss technology, allows passengers on holidays to Oman to use both the internet and cellular services on flights and is achieved by using Inmarsat SwiftBroadband.
CEO of OnAir, Benoit Debains, said:
"There is Wi-Fi available in-flight in the US, and in-flight cellular services have been offered outside of the US, but this is the first time that these two products are flying together on the same aircraft. So passengers can use their own cell phones, and they will be billed by their own cellular provider as if they are roaming anywhere in the world, and a Wi-Fi service which is available to passengers for purchase using a credit card."
Oman Air currently provides flights for travellers taking Oman holidays from destinations all across the world including Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the Maldives, UK, France, Germany, Thailand and ten cities across the Middle East and India.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...