Sri Lanka holiday industry in clear improvement
Sri Lanka tourism is on the road to recovery as the number of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays increases and the Indian Ocean region is seen as a safer place to travel to now that the 25 year civil war has ended.
The New York Times recently ranked Sri Lanka one of the top "31 places to go to in 2010" saying:
"The island, with a population of just 20 million, feels like one big tropical zoo: Elephants roam freely, water buffaloes idle in paddy fields and monkeys swing from trees."
Sri Lanka tourist officials are expecting to see the number of visitors to the region and travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays to increase this year. The number of visitors taking holidays in Sri Lanka in January this year rose to 50,000; a significant increase compared to 37,000 in January 2009.
The travellers are said to be heading towards the stunning beaches in the south of the island and booking Sri Lanka tours as part of their luxury holidays. Situated in the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is a relatively flat island made up of stunning white sandy beaches, national parks and a warm climate.
The region is a becoming a popular destination for weddings abroad and luxury honeymoons for couples from all over the world.
The Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau has been busy launching re-branding campaigns over the past six months and last weekend they took their "Visit Sri Lanka 2011" and "Destination Sri Lanka" campaigns to New York Times 2010 Travel Show.
Over the past few years the majority of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays have been from Germany, France, United Kingdom and United States of America. Visitors from nearby India make up the largest tourist market for Sri Lanka but the numbers had been declining over recent times. Tourism officials are hoping that the rise in India tourists will rise this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than the Sri Lankan town...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...