Sri Lanka holiday industry in clear improvement
Sri Lanka tourism is on the road to recovery as the number of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays increases and the Indian Ocean region is seen as a safer place to travel to now that the 25 year civil war has ended.
The New York Times recently ranked Sri Lanka one of the top "31 places to go to in 2010" saying:
"The island, with a population of just 20 million, feels like one big tropical zoo: Elephants roam freely, water buffaloes idle in paddy fields and monkeys swing from trees."
Sri Lanka tourist officials are expecting to see the number of visitors to the region and travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays to increase this year. The number of visitors taking holidays in Sri Lanka in January this year rose to 50,000; a significant increase compared to 37,000 in January 2009.
The travellers are said to be heading towards the stunning beaches in the south of the island and booking Sri Lanka tours as part of their luxury holidays. Situated in the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is a relatively flat island made up of stunning white sandy beaches, national parks and a warm climate.
The region is a becoming a popular destination for weddings abroad and luxury honeymoons for couples from all over the world.
The Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau has been busy launching re-branding campaigns over the past six months and last weekend they took their "Visit Sri Lanka 2011" and "Destination Sri Lanka" campaigns to New York Times 2010 Travel Show.
Over the past few years the majority of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays have been from Germany, France, United Kingdom and United States of America. Visitors from nearby India make up the largest tourist market for Sri Lanka but the numbers had been declining over recent times. Tourism officials are hoping that the rise in India tourists will rise this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...