Egypt Tourism Officials aim to recruit new generation of skilled workers
Egypt tourism officials are hoping to encourage local teenagers to take up the tourism trade in an effort to prevent the region from suffering from the looming skilled labour shortage within industries which cater for travellers on Egypt holidays.
Egypt hotels in particular, are short of local skilled workers who can provide services and expertise in areas which are vital in order to successfully operate and provide adequate service for travellers on holidays in Egypt. The SOS Children’s Village on the outskirts of Nasr City is home to 80 orphaned youths up to the age of 18 years old and is undergoing refurbishments courtesy of the Ministry of Tourism and other tourism officials, The Egyptian Tourism Federation, The Egyptian Hotel Association and The Egyptian Travel Agents Association.
Children’s homes run by the International Children’s Charity in Alexandria and Tanta are also undergoing refurbishments this year as part of a social initiative by the tourism officials as they try to encourage teenagers to gain skills which can be used within the travel and tourism industry.
As the number of travellers taking Egypt holidays increases, the number of skilled labourers in the hospitality industry will have to double in the next decade in order to keep up with the demands of the growing tourism sector.
Ahmed El-Nahas, chairman of the Egyptian Tourism Federation, said:
“There is a huge [ongoing] expansion of hotels in Egypt, but there are very few schools or universities that graduate people in the tourism industry, unfortunately. If you double the number of hotels and there are still very few graduates, we have a problem.”
One reason for the lack of skilled workers available is that many students and graduates do not see the hospitality sector as particularly glamorous long hours and low pay.
Maged Hosny, a youth employment activist, said:
“There is an educational problem in Egypt where the popular and prestigious faculties don’t match the real demands of the labor market. “[Students] don’t know what they’re going to learn and what they will do afterwards and there is no counseling for graduates to explain career paths in each field and what kind of training they need.”
Many of the hotels which offer more luxury Egypt holidays for their guests provide dedicated in-house training for their staff while some of the lower rated hotels do not have the opportunities to employ skilled hospitality workers and the hotel standards and services are lower because of this.
Egypt tourism officials are hoping that by encouraging the teenagers from these villages, the number of skilled workers will rise in time for the potential existence of 3,200 large hotels and resorts in the country by 2015.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...