Cuba holidays hit record number of visitors in 2009
Cuba's National Office of Statistics registered a new record number of foreign visitors to Cuba in 2009 with the new figure marking a 3.5% increase when compared against 2008 which held the previous record.
During last year Cuba holidays closed with a historic new record of foreign visitors marking a 3.5% increase of tourists’ arrivals when compared against 2008 figures, which was also a record-hitting year where the previous record was set.
According to Cuba’s National Office of Statistics, a total of 2,429,809 tourists visited the Caribbean nation taking Cuba holidays in 2009 when Canada consolidated its position as the island’s main tourist market and number one visitor, followed by the UK, Spain, Italy and Germany.
In spite of this increase, however it must be noted that revenues decreased by 11% when compared against the previous year due to the global economic crisis and its aftermaths which resulted in an 8% drop in the flow of travellers.
Taleb Rifai, General Secretary of the World Tourism Organization, said that this situation, which was further aggravated by the impact of the H1N1 A virus pandemic which turned 2009 into one of the most difficult years for the hospitality and travel sector, causing.
In 2010, Cuba hopes to consolidate its position as a unique and complete tourist multi- holiday destination thanks to its natural, cultural and historic richness, and the safety it offers to visitors for relaxing and vibrant Cuba holidays filled with sun and cultural experiences.
Cuba’s leading role in the world tourist market has been confirmed by recent surveys. Lonely Planet -- the world largest publisher of travel guides – and concierge.com, a portal specialising in tourism, for example, both ranked Cuba holidays as sixth and seventh, respectively, in the list of favourite worldwide holiday destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...