Cuba holidays hit record number of visitors in 2009
Cuba's National Office of Statistics registered a new record number of foreign visitors to Cuba in 2009 with the new figure marking a 3.5% increase when compared against 2008 which held the previous record.
During last year Cuba holidays closed with a historic new record of foreign visitors marking a 3.5% increase of tourists’ arrivals when compared against 2008 figures, which was also a record-hitting year where the previous record was set.
According to Cuba’s National Office of Statistics, a total of 2,429,809 tourists visited the Caribbean nation taking Cuba holidays in 2009 when Canada consolidated its position as the island’s main tourist market and number one visitor, followed by the UK, Spain, Italy and Germany.
In spite of this increase, however it must be noted that revenues decreased by 11% when compared against the previous year due to the global economic crisis and its aftermaths which resulted in an 8% drop in the flow of travellers.
Taleb Rifai, General Secretary of the World Tourism Organization, said that this situation, which was further aggravated by the impact of the H1N1 A virus pandemic which turned 2009 into one of the most difficult years for the hospitality and travel sector, causing.
In 2010, Cuba hopes to consolidate its position as a unique and complete tourist multi- holiday destination thanks to its natural, cultural and historic richness, and the safety it offers to visitors for relaxing and vibrant Cuba holidays filled with sun and cultural experiences.
Cuba’s leading role in the world tourist market has been confirmed by recent surveys. Lonely Planet -- the world largest publisher of travel guides – and concierge.com, a portal specialising in tourism, for example, both ranked Cuba holidays as sixth and seventh, respectively, in the list of favourite worldwide holiday destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...