Cuba holidays hit record number of visitors in 2009
Cuba's National Office of Statistics registered a new record number of foreign visitors to Cuba in 2009 with the new figure marking a 3.5% increase when compared against 2008 which held the previous record.
During last year Cuba holidays closed with a historic new record of foreign visitors marking a 3.5% increase of tourists’ arrivals when compared against 2008 figures, which was also a record-hitting year where the previous record was set.
According to Cuba’s National Office of Statistics, a total of 2,429,809 tourists visited the Caribbean nation taking Cuba holidays in 2009 when Canada consolidated its position as the island’s main tourist market and number one visitor, followed by the UK, Spain, Italy and Germany.
In spite of this increase, however it must be noted that revenues decreased by 11% when compared against the previous year due to the global economic crisis and its aftermaths which resulted in an 8% drop in the flow of travellers.
Taleb Rifai, General Secretary of the World Tourism Organization, said that this situation, which was further aggravated by the impact of the H1N1 A virus pandemic which turned 2009 into one of the most difficult years for the hospitality and travel sector, causing.
In 2010, Cuba hopes to consolidate its position as a unique and complete tourist multi- holiday destination thanks to its natural, cultural and historic richness, and the safety it offers to visitors for relaxing and vibrant Cuba holidays filled with sun and cultural experiences.
Cuba’s leading role in the world tourist market has been confirmed by recent surveys. Lonely Planet -- the world largest publisher of travel guides – and concierge.com, a portal specialising in tourism, for example, both ranked Cuba holidays as sixth and seventh, respectively, in the list of favourite worldwide holiday destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...