Cuba holidays hit record number of visitors in 2009
Cuba's National Office of Statistics registered a new record number of foreign visitors to Cuba in 2009 with the new figure marking a 3.5% increase when compared against 2008 which held the previous record.
During last year Cuba holidays closed with a historic new record of foreign visitors marking a 3.5% increase of tourists’ arrivals when compared against 2008 figures, which was also a record-hitting year where the previous record was set.
According to Cuba’s National Office of Statistics, a total of 2,429,809 tourists visited the Caribbean nation taking Cuba holidays in 2009 when Canada consolidated its position as the island’s main tourist market and number one visitor, followed by the UK, Spain, Italy and Germany.
In spite of this increase, however it must be noted that revenues decreased by 11% when compared against the previous year due to the global economic crisis and its aftermaths which resulted in an 8% drop in the flow of travellers.
Taleb Rifai, General Secretary of the World Tourism Organization, said that this situation, which was further aggravated by the impact of the H1N1 A virus pandemic which turned 2009 into one of the most difficult years for the hospitality and travel sector, causing.
In 2010, Cuba hopes to consolidate its position as a unique and complete tourist multi- holiday destination thanks to its natural, cultural and historic richness, and the safety it offers to visitors for relaxing and vibrant Cuba holidays filled with sun and cultural experiences.
Cuba’s leading role in the world tourist market has been confirmed by recent surveys. Lonely Planet -- the world largest publisher of travel guides – and concierge.com, a portal specialising in tourism, for example, both ranked Cuba holidays as sixth and seventh, respectively, in the list of favourite worldwide holiday destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...