Barbados unveils nine-point growth strategy
The Prime Minister of Barbados, David Thompson, outlined the region's nine point growth strategy at the Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry's luncheon on Monday 25 January stating that it would seek help in recovery from the recession.
The luncheon was held at one of the most luxury Barbados hotels, the Hilton Barbados and was attended by a large number of business executives, technocrats and officials from the public sector. The outline of the 2010-2014 strategy includes seeking help in the country recovering from the global recession, and to set out new policies, reforms and regulations in order to work within the 21st century economy of the world and encourage more international visitors to take Barbados holidays.
The Prime Minister told the conference attendees:
"This strategy has to be a series of reforms that signal change in the way we do business, the way we work, the way we think, the rewards we get and the effort we make. As [United States President] Barack Obama said during his campaign, ‘change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek'."
"These reforms are needed now, and we are the ones who have to effect the change."
The nine point strategy includes "putting Barbados' public finances back on a sustainable footing; ensuring that a balanced budget is obtained by 2014 – 15 followed by a small fiscal surplus by 2015-2016; reducing central government's debt to GDP ratio to near 70 per cent by 2017-18; maintaining an investment grade rating for Barbados; providing a stable fiscal framework that will enable the Government to better achieve national goals and development; maintaining macro-economic stability through sustainable management of the fiscal deficit and debt; increasing productivity and international competitiveness; returning real GDP growth to the sustainable annual average rate of about 3.0 per cent by 2012; and ensuring that Government's social policy enhances the social welfare, well-being and quality of life of citizens, particularly the most vulnerable people and sectors in the society".
With Barbados holidays becoming increasingly popular amongst families, couples and honeymooners and with reports that most of the world is now in recovery from the recession, the pressure is on to ensure that tourists continue to take holidays in Barbados and give the region the tourism boosts it needs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Exclusive last minute DOUBLE FREE room upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite as seen on Secret Escapes
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...