Barbados unveils nine-point growth strategy
The Prime Minister of Barbados, David Thompson, outlined the region's nine point growth strategy at the Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry's luncheon on Monday 25 January stating that it would seek help in recovery from the recession.
The luncheon was held at one of the most luxury Barbados hotels, the Hilton Barbados and was attended by a large number of business executives, technocrats and officials from the public sector. The outline of the 2010-2014 strategy includes seeking help in the country recovering from the global recession, and to set out new policies, reforms and regulations in order to work within the 21st century economy of the world and encourage more international visitors to take Barbados holidays.
The Prime Minister told the conference attendees:
"This strategy has to be a series of reforms that signal change in the way we do business, the way we work, the way we think, the rewards we get and the effort we make. As [United States President] Barack Obama said during his campaign, ‘change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek'."
"These reforms are needed now, and we are the ones who have to effect the change."
The nine point strategy includes "putting Barbados' public finances back on a sustainable footing; ensuring that a balanced budget is obtained by 2014 – 15 followed by a small fiscal surplus by 2015-2016; reducing central government's debt to GDP ratio to near 70 per cent by 2017-18; maintaining an investment grade rating for Barbados; providing a stable fiscal framework that will enable the Government to better achieve national goals and development; maintaining macro-economic stability through sustainable management of the fiscal deficit and debt; increasing productivity and international competitiveness; returning real GDP growth to the sustainable annual average rate of about 3.0 per cent by 2012; and ensuring that Government's social policy enhances the social welfare, well-being and quality of life of citizens, particularly the most vulnerable people and sectors in the society".
With Barbados holidays becoming increasingly popular amongst families, couples and honeymooners and with reports that most of the world is now in recovery from the recession, the pressure is on to ensure that tourists continue to take holidays in Barbados and give the region the tourism boosts it needs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south cost of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap while making the most of a homely hideaway
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- The first child under 12 stays FREE and gains access to their own paddling pool
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
Leave the kids behind and enjoy the tranquillity of The Club Barbados, an elegantly casual resort with every facility you could wish for.
- Complimentary water sports include water skiing, windsurfing, hobie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
- Perfect for couples, honeymooners and friends
- Relax and take a dip in a choice of three freshwater swimming pools
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in a Caribbean...