Mexico and Cancun holidays confirm fall in tourism revenue
According to a formal release by Mexico's central bank, the country's tourism revenue in 2009 fell sharply by 7.9 % due to the mix of adverse situations with a global impact: the economic recession paired with the A/H1N1 influenza outbreak
Mexico's overall tourism revenue fell 7.9% in November when compared against figures from the same month of the year before, "a relatively modest" result, the Bank of Mexico said.
The release highlights how however damaging this might have been for the economy, Cancun holidays and the tourism industry in general this still marked "an improvement for a sector was hit simultaneously by the A/H1N1 influenza outbreak and the economic crisis" in 2009.
Income from border crossings, Mexico holidays and Cancun holidays as well as tourists and cruise passengers totalled $928.3 million in November, compared with $1.01 billion in November 2008, the information revealed. International visitors excluding border crossings, who account for the majority of the revenue, amounted to a total figure of 983,909 in November, down from 1.04 million a year earlier, the central bank added.
In total tourists taking Mexico holidays and Cancun holidays spent an average of $730.07, up from $712.26 in the year-ago month.The number of passengers arriving on cruise ships also fell to 549,405, down from 610,644 in November 2008.
In the first 11 months of 2009, Mexico's tourism revenue fell 16% to $10.11 billion, as tourists, most of whom come from the U.S., declined sharply in number amid the flu outbreak and became more frugal because of the recession, the Bank of Mexico added. But Mexico's income from tourism in November showed the smallest year-on-year decline since the A/H1N1 virus was discovered in late April, suggesting the battered sector is on its way to recovery, document said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...