Mexico and Cancun holidays confirm fall in tourism revenue
According to a formal release by Mexico's central bank, the country's tourism revenue in 2009 fell sharply by 7.9 % due to the mix of adverse situations with a global impact: the economic recession paired with the A/H1N1 influenza outbreak
Mexico's overall tourism revenue fell 7.9% in November when compared against figures from the same month of the year before, "a relatively modest" result, the Bank of Mexico said.
The release highlights how however damaging this might have been for the economy, Cancun holidays and the tourism industry in general this still marked "an improvement for a sector was hit simultaneously by the A/H1N1 influenza outbreak and the economic crisis" in 2009.
Income from border crossings, Mexico holidays and Cancun holidays as well as tourists and cruise passengers totalled $928.3 million in November, compared with $1.01 billion in November 2008, the information revealed. International visitors excluding border crossings, who account for the majority of the revenue, amounted to a total figure of 983,909 in November, down from 1.04 million a year earlier, the central bank added.
In total tourists taking Mexico holidays and Cancun holidays spent an average of $730.07, up from $712.26 in the year-ago month.The number of passengers arriving on cruise ships also fell to 549,405, down from 610,644 in November 2008.
In the first 11 months of 2009, Mexico's tourism revenue fell 16% to $10.11 billion, as tourists, most of whom come from the U.S., declined sharply in number amid the flu outbreak and became more frugal because of the recession, the Bank of Mexico added. But Mexico's income from tourism in November showed the smallest year-on-year decline since the A/H1N1 virus was discovered in late April, suggesting the battered sector is on its way to recovery, document said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...