Four Seasons Hotel bailed out by Barbados Government
One of the most luxury Barbados hotels is being bailed out by the government of Barbados as development and construction plans for the new resort have been put on hold due to finance problems and slow sales of the private villas.
The Caribbean island of Barbados has agreed to financially help out a new addition to luxury Barbados hotels by guaranteeing a $60 million loan to help the new Four Seasons hotel and resort. The loan has come from a Caribbean bank and in return the Caribbean government will eventually receive a 20 per cent equity stake in the project.
The new Barbados project is one of many Four Seasons hotels and resorts which have run into difficulty throughout the turbulent times of the global recession. Though Four Seasons do not own any properties themselves, they run 83 hotels across the world and make money from charging property owners branding and management fees.
The Barbados project was meant to be an addition to the chain's luxury Caribbean hotels by building a 110 room hotel for travellers on Barbados holidays and 35 private villas each priced between $11 million and $18 million.
Despite celebrity buyers including Simon Cowell, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Formula One team owner Eddie Jordan, by 2008 only 16 of the 35 villas had been sold and the owner of Four Seasons Barbados, UK-born developer Mike Pemberton, and his construction group were forced to put all work on hold by January 2009.
The majority of the new loan from the Caribbean lender, Ansa McAL Merchant Bank, will be spent on paying off the original $31.5 million loan from the Bank of Scotland.
The Prime Minister of Barbados, David Thompson recently said in a statement:
"I am pleased to support an initiative where Barbadians pull together to put an iconic project back on track–one that will help shape the future of tourism in Barbados."
Plans to start work on the site are expected to resume in the first quarter of 2010 and it is hoped that with new investors and villa sales the luxury addition to Barbados hotels will help turn the economy around and restore people's faith in buying luxury homes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...