Four Seasons Hotel bailed out by Barbados Government
One of the most luxury Barbados hotels is being bailed out by the government of Barbados as development and construction plans for the new resort have been put on hold due to finance problems and slow sales of the private villas.
The Caribbean island of Barbados has agreed to financially help out a new addition to luxury Barbados hotels by guaranteeing a $60 million loan to help the new Four Seasons hotel and resort. The loan has come from a Caribbean bank and in return the Caribbean government will eventually receive a 20 per cent equity stake in the project.
The new Barbados project is one of many Four Seasons hotels and resorts which have run into difficulty throughout the turbulent times of the global recession. Though Four Seasons do not own any properties themselves, they run 83 hotels across the world and make money from charging property owners branding and management fees.
The Barbados project was meant to be an addition to the chain's luxury Caribbean hotels by building a 110 room hotel for travellers on Barbados holidays and 35 private villas each priced between $11 million and $18 million.
Despite celebrity buyers including Simon Cowell, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Formula One team owner Eddie Jordan, by 2008 only 16 of the 35 villas had been sold and the owner of Four Seasons Barbados, UK-born developer Mike Pemberton, and his construction group were forced to put all work on hold by January 2009.
The majority of the new loan from the Caribbean lender, Ansa McAL Merchant Bank, will be spent on paying off the original $31.5 million loan from the Bank of Scotland.
The Prime Minister of Barbados, David Thompson recently said in a statement:
"I am pleased to support an initiative where Barbadians pull together to put an iconic project back on track–one that will help shape the future of tourism in Barbados."
Plans to start work on the site are expected to resume in the first quarter of 2010 and it is hoped that with new investors and villa sales the luxury addition to Barbados hotels will help turn the economy around and restore people's faith in buying luxury homes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...