Canada airlines granted expanded air access to Cuba airports
Cuba has given Canada expanded air access allowing specific airlines to operate more flights to Cuba in an attempt to boost tourism and visitor numbers to the stunning island which is situated near Mexico in the Caribbean.
An agreement has been made between Cuba's communist regime and the Harper government allowing Canadian airlines expanded access to provide more flights to Cuba.
Four Canadian airlines have been given the go ahead to provide more flights to Cuba and then on to multiple locations after landing in Cuba. This will enable travellers on Cuba holidays to fly with Canadian airlines to more than one destination within the country in the space of just one holiday.
The agreement was made despite air travel restrictions being put in place on 14 countries, including Cuba, just three weeks ago. The United States put the restrictions in place deeming the countries as potential terrorism threat after a bomber threatened to blow up an aircraft destined for Detroit last month.
The Cuban ambassador to Canada, Teresita de Jesus Vicente Sotolongo, said:
"We have signed recently a good agreement to give more opportunities to Canadian airlines."
The number of Canadians taking flights to Cuba has significantly risen over recent years resulting in close relationships between the visitors and the Cubans. Last year Cuba saw 900,000 Canadian visitors to the region staying in Cuba hotels and resorts and helping boost the country's tourism and travel sector. This year, Cuba tourism officials are hoping to top one million visitors to the stunning Caribbean region.
Despite Cuba sitting just 145km off the tip of Florida in the United States, the 50 year old U.S embargo which forbid Americans travelling to Cuba is still currently in place.
The Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, said last year that he thinks the U.S ban had not worked and that Washington should lift it but also believes that Cuba has human rights problems within its communist regime. The four airlines who will be affected by the expansion of flights to Cuba are Canjet Airlines, WestJest, Air Transat, and Sunwing Airlines.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...