Canada airlines granted expanded air access to Cuba airports
Cuba has given Canada expanded air access allowing specific airlines to operate more flights to Cuba in an attempt to boost tourism and visitor numbers to the stunning island which is situated near Mexico in the Caribbean.
An agreement has been made between Cuba's communist regime and the Harper government allowing Canadian airlines expanded access to provide more flights to Cuba.
Four Canadian airlines have been given the go ahead to provide more flights to Cuba and then on to multiple locations after landing in Cuba. This will enable travellers on Cuba holidays to fly with Canadian airlines to more than one destination within the country in the space of just one holiday.
The agreement was made despite air travel restrictions being put in place on 14 countries, including Cuba, just three weeks ago. The United States put the restrictions in place deeming the countries as potential terrorism threat after a bomber threatened to blow up an aircraft destined for Detroit last month.
The Cuban ambassador to Canada, Teresita de Jesus Vicente Sotolongo, said:
"We have signed recently a good agreement to give more opportunities to Canadian airlines."
The number of Canadians taking flights to Cuba has significantly risen over recent years resulting in close relationships between the visitors and the Cubans. Last year Cuba saw 900,000 Canadian visitors to the region staying in Cuba hotels and resorts and helping boost the country's tourism and travel sector. This year, Cuba tourism officials are hoping to top one million visitors to the stunning Caribbean region.
Despite Cuba sitting just 145km off the tip of Florida in the United States, the 50 year old U.S embargo which forbid Americans travelling to Cuba is still currently in place.
The Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, said last year that he thinks the U.S ban had not worked and that Washington should lift it but also believes that Cuba has human rights problems within its communist regime. The four airlines who will be affected by the expansion of flights to Cuba are Canjet Airlines, WestJest, Air Transat, and Sunwing Airlines.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...