Barbados Tourism Official Encourages "Staycations"
As Barbados sets about recovering from the global recession which had a huge impact on the travel sector, a tourism official urges islanders to consider taking Barbados holidays on homeland with a "staycation."
An official from the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association is encouraging residents of the island to take Barbados holidays rather than go abroad for their trips.
The Assistant Vice President of the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association, Michelle Smith-Mayers, believes that if more islanders take holidays in Barbados it will significantly help to increase the region's tourism revenue this summer.
In July last year, the Barbados Central Bank revealed that the island, which depends on tourism for its economy, was officially in a recession.
With more Barbados residents taking "staycation" Barbados holidays this year, it is hoped that the local hotels and businesses in the region will benefit and the economy will grow and recover from the global recession which has significantly affected the tourism and travel industry.
Barbados is a popular holiday destination situated east of the Caribbean Sea in the western Atlantic Ocean.
With a tropical climate and a dry season lasting from December to May, the picturesque island is largely popular with tourists escape colder climates and taking Barbados holidays for relaxing and luxury breaks.
Over recent years the paradise region has become a popular destination for couples getting married abroad and for honeymooners. Surrounded by coral reef, sparkling azure waters, and white sandy beaches, Barbados is an idyllic hot spot for travellers seeking relaxation, nice weather, and friendly locals.
With accommodation inclusion resorts and hotels to suit any budget, Barbados sees an annual influx of 500,000 visitors from all over the world enjoying what the country has to offer.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...