Mauritius hotels see fall in profits and visitors
New Mauritius Hotels is the latest high end hotel group to announce a loss in profits and a decline in travellers visiting their luxury properties as the Indian Ocean's travel and tourism industry continues to suffer.
The effects of the global recession are still evident in many travel destinations all across the world with the latest economic downturn affecting Mauritius hotels.
As the spending habits of consumers change, there has been a decrease in travellers taking Mauritius holidays over recent months because of the region's association with luxury and high end markets.
Many Mauritius hotels have been affected by this economic downfall including NMH (New Mauritius Hotels). The group recorded a 35.7 per cent fall in their annual pre-tax profits and believe that their profits for this quarter will be affected by strong currency.
With seven Mauritius hotels, each aimed at travellers taking luxury Mauritius holidays, the group fears that other resorts and hotels in the region will offer competitive promotions and packages to entice visitors.
The Indian Ocean group said:
"The industry remains under pressure with competitors being involved in strong discounting campaigns."
The company has seen visitor numbers to the high end Mauritius hotels fall by seven per cent and the shares fall 36.3 per cent to 7.28 rupees.
In a recent statement the group said:
"With Trou Aux Biches (a hotel) being closed and the current exchange rate of the rupee, earnings for the present quarter are expected to be around 10 percent less than last year's. However, based on the present positive trend in bookings, the second quarter is likely to yield better results than those realised last year."
Mauritius is one of the world's most popular long haul luxury destinations with its white sandy beaches, shoreline palm trees, azure waters, and selection of luxury resorts and high end Mauritius hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Live and breathe the real Mauritius for a week in an intimate boutique hotel set by clear turquoise waters and powdery-soft sands, with great facilities for everyone in the family.
- Features an excellent Children's Club offering great activities for the young ones
- Children stay free when sharing with parents
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Bring the kids along or come with your partner for a romantically secluded hideaway in a resort that excels at providing special separate spaces for adults and families
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Zilwa offers two experiences in one with a designated adults-only area and a separate family section
- Experience the sunrise boat trip, BBQ on the beach and treasure hunts for the little ones
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
Enjoy the island paradise of Mauritius during an 8-day stay at the luxurious Long Beach Golf Resort & Spa. Occupying the...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Located on the sandy beach of the north-west coast of Mauritius, Les Cocotiers enjoys a close proximity to the island's...
Coin De Mire is a boutique hotel set on the north coast of Mauritius, an area of white beaches, clear turquoise waters...