Mauritius hotels see fall in profits and visitors
New Mauritius Hotels is the latest high end hotel group to announce a loss in profits and a decline in travellers visiting their luxury properties as the Indian Ocean's travel and tourism industry continues to suffer.
The effects of the global recession are still evident in many travel destinations all across the world with the latest economic downturn affecting Mauritius hotels.
As the spending habits of consumers change, there has been a decrease in travellers taking Mauritius holidays over recent months because of the region's association with luxury and high end markets.
Many Mauritius hotels have been affected by this economic downfall including NMH (New Mauritius Hotels). The group recorded a 35.7 per cent fall in their annual pre-tax profits and believe that their profits for this quarter will be affected by strong currency.
With seven Mauritius hotels, each aimed at travellers taking luxury Mauritius holidays, the group fears that other resorts and hotels in the region will offer competitive promotions and packages to entice visitors.
The Indian Ocean group said:
"The industry remains under pressure with competitors being involved in strong discounting campaigns."
The company has seen visitor numbers to the high end Mauritius hotels fall by seven per cent and the shares fall 36.3 per cent to 7.28 rupees.
In a recent statement the group said:
"With Trou Aux Biches (a hotel) being closed and the current exchange rate of the rupee, earnings for the present quarter are expected to be around 10 percent less than last year's. However, based on the present positive trend in bookings, the second quarter is likely to yield better results than those realised last year."
Mauritius is one of the world's most popular long haul luxury destinations with its white sandy beaches, shoreline palm trees, azure waters, and selection of luxury resorts and high end Mauritius hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
An unrivalled stay where you will be surrounded by its picturesque coastline and lush greenery
- Your own private sandy beach on your doorstep
- Exquisite views wherever you look - from the vibrant green mountains to the glittering Indian Ocean
- Perfect blend of natural beauty and fresh, eye-catching designs
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Long Beach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...