Mauritius hotels see fall in profits and visitors
New Mauritius Hotels is the latest high end hotel group to announce a loss in profits and a decline in travellers visiting their luxury properties as the Indian Ocean's travel and tourism industry continues to suffer.
The effects of the global recession are still evident in many travel destinations all across the world with the latest economic downturn affecting Mauritius hotels.
As the spending habits of consumers change, there has been a decrease in travellers taking Mauritius holidays over recent months because of the region's association with luxury and high end markets.
Many Mauritius hotels have been affected by this economic downfall including NMH (New Mauritius Hotels). The group recorded a 35.7 per cent fall in their annual pre-tax profits and believe that their profits for this quarter will be affected by strong currency.
With seven Mauritius hotels, each aimed at travellers taking luxury Mauritius holidays, the group fears that other resorts and hotels in the region will offer competitive promotions and packages to entice visitors.
The Indian Ocean group said:
"The industry remains under pressure with competitors being involved in strong discounting campaigns."
The company has seen visitor numbers to the high end Mauritius hotels fall by seven per cent and the shares fall 36.3 per cent to 7.28 rupees.
In a recent statement the group said:
"With Trou Aux Biches (a hotel) being closed and the current exchange rate of the rupee, earnings for the present quarter are expected to be around 10 percent less than last year's. However, based on the present positive trend in bookings, the second quarter is likely to yield better results than those realised last year."
Mauritius is one of the world's most popular long haul luxury destinations with its white sandy beaches, shoreline palm trees, azure waters, and selection of luxury resorts and high end Mauritius hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Lap up the mesmerising coastal beauty of western Mauritius and then explore Dubai - a city of wonders
Discover and Experience the best of both worlds Mauritius and Dubai
- Take advantage of the tennis courts, beach volley ball and many indoor games at Anelia Beach Resort
- Dubai stay at a TripAdvisor Winner with a Certificate of Excellence hotel
- The Perfect location of Anelia Beach Resort will let you enjoy Mauritius breathtaking sea views
Set amidst a landscape of lush vegetation, mountains and the clear waters of the Indian Ocean, the Heritage Awali oozes luxury and offers first-class service
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy attentive all-inclusive service in a unique setting in Bel Ombre with its own nature reserve
- Get a complimentary round of golf per day and a free spa treatment per stay
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Coin De Mire is a boutique hotel set on the north coast of Mauritius, an area of white beaches, clear turquoise waters...
Located on the sandy beach of the north-west coast of Mauritius, Les Cocotiers enjoys a close proximity to the island's...
When you're looking for the perfect holiday, it's nice to have some assurances. As well as being a three star plus...