Mauritius hotels see fall in profits and visitors
New Mauritius Hotels is the latest high end hotel group to announce a loss in profits and a decline in travellers visiting their luxury properties as the Indian Ocean's travel and tourism industry continues to suffer.
The effects of the global recession are still evident in many travel destinations all across the world with the latest economic downturn affecting Mauritius hotels.
As the spending habits of consumers change, there has been a decrease in travellers taking Mauritius holidays over recent months because of the region's association with luxury and high end markets.
Many Mauritius hotels have been affected by this economic downfall including NMH (New Mauritius Hotels). The group recorded a 35.7 per cent fall in their annual pre-tax profits and believe that their profits for this quarter will be affected by strong currency.
With seven Mauritius hotels, each aimed at travellers taking luxury Mauritius holidays, the group fears that other resorts and hotels in the region will offer competitive promotions and packages to entice visitors.
The Indian Ocean group said:
"The industry remains under pressure with competitors being involved in strong discounting campaigns."
The company has seen visitor numbers to the high end Mauritius hotels fall by seven per cent and the shares fall 36.3 per cent to 7.28 rupees.
In a recent statement the group said:
"With Trou Aux Biches (a hotel) being closed and the current exchange rate of the rupee, earnings for the present quarter are expected to be around 10 percent less than last year's. However, based on the present positive trend in bookings, the second quarter is likely to yield better results than those realised last year."
Mauritius is one of the world's most popular long haul luxury destinations with its white sandy beaches, shoreline palm trees, azure waters, and selection of luxury resorts and high end Mauritius hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Make the most of the private beach, stunning sea views and a great selection of facilities that help you relieve yourself of the stresses of modern life.
- Revel in complimentary kayaking, glass bottom boating, tennis and more sports
- Enjoy culinary delights that suit all tastes from Mauritian, Asian and International to beach and poolside options
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
An Exotic Escape at the beachfront Ambre Hotel in Belle Mare comes at an affordable price - it's too good to resist...
- Watersports includes Wind-surfing, kayaks,laser sails, glass-bottom boat trips and snorkelling
- Free Golf Included in your Holiday at Le Touessrok
- Excellent kids club with fun programmes for the little one open twelve hours a day
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Long Beach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
A mix of colonial heritage and contemporary design with tropical accents, The Ravenala Attitude is the first 4-star,...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
With a private beachfront in the beautifully landscaped resort of Bel Ombre, Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort provides...