Recent tourist survey reveals Maldives islands are too expensive
Travellers looking for cheap Maldives holidays may be out of luck this winter as an increasing number of tourists have complained that the stunning Indian Ocean luxury destination is too expensive and needs to meet the budgets of mid market tourism.
A survey has recently been conducted in the island's capital, Male, with tourists who had been staying at a number of different all inclusive Maldives hotels and resorts.
The survey was carried out over seven days to 140 tourists who were either on cheap Maldives holidays or luxury Maldives holidays. The survey results revealed that 80% of travellers visiting the stunning luxury region thought that prices in the Maldives were too expensive and that if existing resorts could not lower their prices, alternative cheaper resorts and accommodation should become available to travellers on lower budgets.
One survey respondent commented:
"All the tourists who want to come here are not well off. Not all of them need air conditioned room, swimming pool or to eat from a buffet laid with 40 varieties of dishes every single time."
Another respondent said:
"A large part of the money we spend to arrive here is used to buy expensive fruits in the world and this should not be so. We can spend our holidays here eating locally produced foods such as papaya, banana, water melon and mango."
Many of the people questioned said that because of the island's stunning natural beauty, lagoons, reefs, beaches and scenery, most travellers would be happy with that without the need for the frills and extravagance that most of the resorts currently offer.
The new Maldives administration have been made aware of interest in developing mid market tourism but as of yet the Maldives government have not made any commitment to making these suggestions a reality.
With so many high end travel and tourism companies providing the majority of accommodation and luxury resorts in the area, the likelihood of mid market resorts and cheap Maldives holidays working harmoniously alongside the travel giants is slim.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Combine picture perfection with comfort and adventure in the Maldives
- Relax in one of the well-appointed Beach Front Rooms
- Indulge your taste buds with wonderful international delicacies at the main restaurant
- Enjoy some of the best snorkelling is the world
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities (*surcharge may apply)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages all come included in the price of your stay
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...