Recent tourist survey reveals Maldives islands are too expensive
Travellers looking for cheap Maldives holidays may be out of luck this winter as an increasing number of tourists have complained that the stunning Indian Ocean luxury destination is too expensive and needs to meet the budgets of mid market tourism.
A survey has recently been conducted in the island's capital, Male, with tourists who had been staying at a number of different all inclusive Maldives hotels and resorts.
The survey was carried out over seven days to 140 tourists who were either on cheap Maldives holidays or luxury Maldives holidays. The survey results revealed that 80% of travellers visiting the stunning luxury region thought that prices in the Maldives were too expensive and that if existing resorts could not lower their prices, alternative cheaper resorts and accommodation should become available to travellers on lower budgets.
One survey respondent commented:
"All the tourists who want to come here are not well off. Not all of them need air conditioned room, swimming pool or to eat from a buffet laid with 40 varieties of dishes every single time."
Another respondent said:
"A large part of the money we spend to arrive here is used to buy expensive fruits in the world and this should not be so. We can spend our holidays here eating locally produced foods such as papaya, banana, water melon and mango."
Many of the people questioned said that because of the island's stunning natural beauty, lagoons, reefs, beaches and scenery, most travellers would be happy with that without the need for the frills and extravagance that most of the resorts currently offer.
The new Maldives administration have been made aware of interest in developing mid market tourism but as of yet the Maldives government have not made any commitment to making these suggestions a reality.
With so many high end travel and tourism companies providing the majority of accommodation and luxury resorts in the area, the likelihood of mid market resorts and cheap Maldives holidays working harmoniously alongside the travel giants is slim.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Kick back and relax with plenty on offer to help you along the way at Reethi Beach Resort.
- Only 15% of the island is built upon, with lush vegetation, natural shorelines and stunning landscapes making up the rest
- The Water Sports Centre has all types of water sport covered whilst the Sports Centre on land covers tennis, badminton, squash, gym and table tennis
- Enjoy two fantastic excursions per person per week to Kam Adhoo and Kihadhoo and a Sunset Dhoni Cruise on selected dates
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....