Recent tourist survey reveals Maldives islands are too expensive
Travellers looking for cheap Maldives holidays may be out of luck this winter as an increasing number of tourists have complained that the stunning Indian Ocean luxury destination is too expensive and needs to meet the budgets of mid market tourism.
A survey has recently been conducted in the island's capital, Male, with tourists who had been staying at a number of different all inclusive Maldives hotels and resorts.
The survey was carried out over seven days to 140 tourists who were either on cheap Maldives holidays or luxury Maldives holidays. The survey results revealed that 80% of travellers visiting the stunning luxury region thought that prices in the Maldives were too expensive and that if existing resorts could not lower their prices, alternative cheaper resorts and accommodation should become available to travellers on lower budgets.
One survey respondent commented:
"All the tourists who want to come here are not well off. Not all of them need air conditioned room, swimming pool or to eat from a buffet laid with 40 varieties of dishes every single time."
Another respondent said:
"A large part of the money we spend to arrive here is used to buy expensive fruits in the world and this should not be so. We can spend our holidays here eating locally produced foods such as papaya, banana, water melon and mango."
Many of the people questioned said that because of the island's stunning natural beauty, lagoons, reefs, beaches and scenery, most travellers would be happy with that without the need for the frills and extravagance that most of the resorts currently offer.
The new Maldives administration have been made aware of interest in developing mid market tourism but as of yet the Maldives government have not made any commitment to making these suggestions a reality.
With so many high end travel and tourism companies providing the majority of accommodation and luxury resorts in the area, the likelihood of mid market resorts and cheap Maldives holidays working harmoniously alongside the travel giants is slim.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Let all concerns leave your mind while you spend 8 days of peace and relaxation at the Royal Island hotel in the...