Cuba holidays for Bird Watchers at Jardines del Rey
Jardines del Rey has recently been declared a privileged ecological area for the passing of migratory rare and colourful bird species in the Caribbean region. Studies of these migratory species also aim to verify whether birds travel in the same season
Alaín Parada, a biologist of the Coastal Ecosystems Research Centre, based amid the famous Jardines del Rey (King's Gardens) tourist destination, informed that for the first time on the Paredón Grande Key, species such as the ring-necked duck (Aythya
collaris), the short-billed dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus), the savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) and the lark sparrow (Chondestes grammacus) were seen.
He also went on to explain that these birds appear to be winter residents in the keys Coco, Guajaba, Sabinal, Guillermo and Santa María, which are other spots bird watchers can visit durint Cuba holidays, but the long-nailed sparrow had never before been viewed at any of the island groups of the Cuban archipelago.
Omar Fernández Pérez, another specialist of the Research Centre, said that with these species the number of increases to 152 of birds recorded on Paredón Grande, a key of barely nine square kilometres with unquestionable environmental and biodiversity values.
These values constitute a challenge for those who operate on the area, achieving economic developing, without causing irreversible damages to nature..
For further developing Cuba holidays as a suitable birdwatching destination, further study of migratory species at the Jardines del Rey keys also aims at verifying whether the birds travel in the same season, taking into consideration the alterations undergone by the keys regarding tourist development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...