Cuba holidays for Bird Watchers at Jardines del Rey
Jardines del Rey has recently been declared a privileged ecological area for the passing of migratory rare and colourful bird species in the Caribbean region. Studies of these migratory species also aim to verify whether birds travel in the same season
Alaín Parada, a biologist of the Coastal Ecosystems Research Centre, based amid the famous Jardines del Rey (King's Gardens) tourist destination, informed that for the first time on the Paredón Grande Key, species such as the ring-necked duck (Aythya
collaris), the short-billed dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus), the savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) and the lark sparrow (Chondestes grammacus) were seen.
He also went on to explain that these birds appear to be winter residents in the keys Coco, Guajaba, Sabinal, Guillermo and Santa María, which are other spots bird watchers can visit durint Cuba holidays, but the long-nailed sparrow had never before been viewed at any of the island groups of the Cuban archipelago.
Omar Fernández Pérez, another specialist of the Research Centre, said that with these species the number of increases to 152 of birds recorded on Paredón Grande, a key of barely nine square kilometres with unquestionable environmental and biodiversity values.
These values constitute a challenge for those who operate on the area, achieving economic developing, without causing irreversible damages to nature..
For further developing Cuba holidays as a suitable birdwatching destination, further study of migratory species at the Jardines del Rey keys also aims at verifying whether the birds travel in the same season, taking into consideration the alterations undergone by the keys regarding tourist development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...