Cuba holidays for Bird Watchers at Jardines del Rey
Jardines del Rey has recently been declared a privileged ecological area for the passing of migratory rare and colourful bird species in the Caribbean region. Studies of these migratory species also aim to verify whether birds travel in the same season
Alaín Parada, a biologist of the Coastal Ecosystems Research Centre, based amid the famous Jardines del Rey (King's Gardens) tourist destination, informed that for the first time on the Paredón Grande Key, species such as the ring-necked duck (Aythya
collaris), the short-billed dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus), the savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) and the lark sparrow (Chondestes grammacus) were seen.
He also went on to explain that these birds appear to be winter residents in the keys Coco, Guajaba, Sabinal, Guillermo and Santa María, which are other spots bird watchers can visit durint Cuba holidays, but the long-nailed sparrow had never before been viewed at any of the island groups of the Cuban archipelago.
Omar Fernández Pérez, another specialist of the Research Centre, said that with these species the number of increases to 152 of birds recorded on Paredón Grande, a key of barely nine square kilometres with unquestionable environmental and biodiversity values.
These values constitute a challenge for those who operate on the area, achieving economic developing, without causing irreversible damages to nature..
For further developing Cuba holidays as a suitable birdwatching destination, further study of migratory species at the Jardines del Rey keys also aims at verifying whether the birds travel in the same season, taking into consideration the alterations undergone by the keys regarding tourist development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...