Cuba holidays for Bird Watchers at Jardines del Rey
Jardines del Rey has recently been declared a privileged ecological area for the passing of migratory rare and colourful bird species in the Caribbean region. Studies of these migratory species also aim to verify whether birds travel in the same season
Alaín Parada, a biologist of the Coastal Ecosystems Research Centre, based amid the famous Jardines del Rey (King's Gardens) tourist destination, informed that for the first time on the Paredón Grande Key, species such as the ring-necked duck (Aythya
collaris), the short-billed dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus), the savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) and the lark sparrow (Chondestes grammacus) were seen.
He also went on to explain that these birds appear to be winter residents in the keys Coco, Guajaba, Sabinal, Guillermo and Santa María, which are other spots bird watchers can visit durint Cuba holidays, but the long-nailed sparrow had never before been viewed at any of the island groups of the Cuban archipelago.
Omar Fernández Pérez, another specialist of the Research Centre, said that with these species the number of increases to 152 of birds recorded on Paredón Grande, a key of barely nine square kilometres with unquestionable environmental and biodiversity values.
These values constitute a challenge for those who operate on the area, achieving economic developing, without causing irreversible damages to nature..
For further developing Cuba holidays as a suitable birdwatching destination, further study of migratory species at the Jardines del Rey keys also aims at verifying whether the birds travel in the same season, taking into consideration the alterations undergone by the keys regarding tourist development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...