Cuba holidays for Bird Watchers at Jardines del Rey
Jardines del Rey has recently been declared a privileged ecological area for the passing of migratory rare and colourful bird species in the Caribbean region. Studies of these migratory species also aim to verify whether birds travel in the same season
Alaín Parada, a biologist of the Coastal Ecosystems Research Centre, based amid the famous Jardines del Rey (King's Gardens) tourist destination, informed that for the first time on the Paredón Grande Key, species such as the ring-necked duck (Aythya
collaris), the short-billed dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus), the savannah sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) and the lark sparrow (Chondestes grammacus) were seen.
He also went on to explain that these birds appear to be winter residents in the keys Coco, Guajaba, Sabinal, Guillermo and Santa María, which are other spots bird watchers can visit durint Cuba holidays, but the long-nailed sparrow had never before been viewed at any of the island groups of the Cuban archipelago.
Omar Fernández Pérez, another specialist of the Research Centre, said that with these species the number of increases to 152 of birds recorded on Paredón Grande, a key of barely nine square kilometres with unquestionable environmental and biodiversity values.
These values constitute a challenge for those who operate on the area, achieving economic developing, without causing irreversible damages to nature..
For further developing Cuba holidays as a suitable birdwatching destination, further study of migratory species at the Jardines del Rey keys also aims at verifying whether the birds travel in the same season, taking into consideration the alterations undergone by the keys regarding tourist development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...