Fall in number of visitors taking Egypt holidays in 2009
Recent figures have shown that fewer travellers took Egypt holidays in the months up to November this year than in 2008 but there was a significant increase in travellers visiting the historic country during the month of November itself.
The amount of revenue generated by travellers taking Egypt holidays in the first 11 months of 2009 fell 3.1 percent compared to the same period last year but tourism officials were expecting a much higher number.
This was thanks to the amount of visitors from Europe taking holidays in Egypt in the months leading up to November, and though tourism officials were disappointed by the overall decrease in revenue, they were relieved that it was not as bad as they had originally foreseen.
Egypt relies on tourism revenue for its economy, particularly as the industry provides foreign currency and a large number of jobs within Egypt hotels and resorts, diving excursions, and tours of the country's historical sites and attractions. Sharm El Sheikh holidays are becoming increasingly popular with tourists mainly due to the area's fantastic diving and snorkelling spots.
During the months up to November this year, approximately 11.45 million visitors took Egypt holidays according to the spokeswoman of Tourism Ministry, Omayma El Husseini, which was down 3.4 percent on the visitor numbers from 2008.
She said: "The figure is a negative figure at the end of the day," she told Reuters. "But we're at almost 11.5 million tourists now, which I think is very good."
Husseini added that November saw 1.23 million visitors taking Egypt holidays this year, which was a 7.3 percent increase from November 2008. This was due to the increase in visitors from the UK, Russia and Germany.
An analyst from EFG Hermes, Daniyah Darwish, said:
"Tourism in Egypt proved to be more resilient than expected. Tourists are staying for shorter periods and spending less ... but they are still coming."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...