Fall in number of visitors taking Egypt holidays in 2009
Recent figures have shown that fewer travellers took Egypt holidays in the months up to November this year than in 2008 but there was a significant increase in travellers visiting the historic country during the month of November itself.
The amount of revenue generated by travellers taking Egypt holidays in the first 11 months of 2009 fell 3.1 percent compared to the same period last year but tourism officials were expecting a much higher number.
This was thanks to the amount of visitors from Europe taking holidays in Egypt in the months leading up to November, and though tourism officials were disappointed by the overall decrease in revenue, they were relieved that it was not as bad as they had originally foreseen.
Egypt relies on tourism revenue for its economy, particularly as the industry provides foreign currency and a large number of jobs within Egypt hotels and resorts, diving excursions, and tours of the country's historical sites and attractions. Sharm El Sheikh holidays are becoming increasingly popular with tourists mainly due to the area's fantastic diving and snorkelling spots.
During the months up to November this year, approximately 11.45 million visitors took Egypt holidays according to the spokeswoman of Tourism Ministry, Omayma El Husseini, which was down 3.4 percent on the visitor numbers from 2008.
She said: "The figure is a negative figure at the end of the day," she told Reuters. "But we're at almost 11.5 million tourists now, which I think is very good."
Husseini added that November saw 1.23 million visitors taking Egypt holidays this year, which was a 7.3 percent increase from November 2008. This was due to the increase in visitors from the UK, Russia and Germany.
An analyst from EFG Hermes, Daniyah Darwish, said:
"Tourism in Egypt proved to be more resilient than expected. Tourists are staying for shorter periods and spending less ... but they are still coming."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
The ultimate Egyptian backdrop in the shadow of the only remaining ancient wonder of the world.
- Indulge the mind, body and spirit in Indulge spa. Take advantage of the steam room, sauna, whirlpool and chill out zones
- Set in landscaped gardens, equipped with two heated swimming pools and bar, Le Meridien enjoys spectacular views of the Pyramids, just a short drive from Cairo
- World famous dining with international, Mexican and Oriental menus to be savoured
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
Stay in comfortable cabins with air-conditioning and elegant dining rooms
- Benefit from the fabulous view of karnak, valley of the kingsand the temple of Philae
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with all night entertainment like the belly dancing show and other typical Egyptian performances
- Enjoy the large sun deck with loungers and a swimming pool a massage service is also available on the sundeck
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...