Fall in number of visitors taking Egypt holidays in 2009
Recent figures have shown that fewer travellers took Egypt holidays in the months up to November this year than in 2008 but there was a significant increase in travellers visiting the historic country during the month of November itself.
The amount of revenue generated by travellers taking Egypt holidays in the first 11 months of 2009 fell 3.1 percent compared to the same period last year but tourism officials were expecting a much higher number.
This was thanks to the amount of visitors from Europe taking holidays in Egypt in the months leading up to November, and though tourism officials were disappointed by the overall decrease in revenue, they were relieved that it was not as bad as they had originally foreseen.
Egypt relies on tourism revenue for its economy, particularly as the industry provides foreign currency and a large number of jobs within Egypt hotels and resorts, diving excursions, and tours of the country's historical sites and attractions. Sharm El Sheikh holidays are becoming increasingly popular with tourists mainly due to the area's fantastic diving and snorkelling spots.
During the months up to November this year, approximately 11.45 million visitors took Egypt holidays according to the spokeswoman of Tourism Ministry, Omayma El Husseini, which was down 3.4 percent on the visitor numbers from 2008.
She said: "The figure is a negative figure at the end of the day," she told Reuters. "But we're at almost 11.5 million tourists now, which I think is very good."
Husseini added that November saw 1.23 million visitors taking Egypt holidays this year, which was a 7.3 percent increase from November 2008. This was due to the increase in visitors from the UK, Russia and Germany.
An analyst from EFG Hermes, Daniyah Darwish, said:
"Tourism in Egypt proved to be more resilient than expected. Tourists are staying for shorter periods and spending less ... but they are still coming."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Guests can enjoy a treatment in the spa, explore the area on horseback, or enjoy a round of golf.
- A historic hotel with a rich and colourful history, the Mena house is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, just 700 metres from the Pyramids
- One of the few hotels in Cairo to offer a golf course
- Relax in the Sultan bar with a cocktail in hand, whilst looking out to the pyramids or enjoy informal dining in the Oasis, a poolside restaurant
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...