Nine percent decrease in Mauritius visitor numbers during 2009
The luxury paradise island of Mauritius has seen a decrease of visitors this year as the ongoing global recession has affected the habits of consumer spending worldwide, particularly in the luxury holiday and travel industry.
The number of travellers taking Mauritius holidays fell between January and October 2009 by 9 percent, compared to the same time in 2008.
The decline in visitors taking holiday in Mauritius, a luxury Indian Ocean travel destination, is thought to be due to the global economic situation with fewer travellers splashing out on luxury Mauritius hotels and luxury resort packages.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) announced the disappointing figures last week stating that the picturesque travel destination saw 689,082 visitors this year compared to 757,688 visitors taking business trips or Mauritius holidays in 2008.
The MTPA announcement said:
"France and Reunion are the only markets to maintain an upward trend. They progressed by 3.2 percent and 7.4 percent respectively."
Located in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius is famous for its white pristine beaches, rows of palm trees, sparkling turquoise waters, clear blues skies, warm temperatures, and luxury accommodation, indulgent spas, and the original home of the now extinct Dodo.
As the recession spread throughout the world, the Indian Ocean region has carried out an invigorating marketing campaign in a bid to attract more visitors to take Mauritius holidays and visit the surrounding islands. Hotels and resorts offered generous discounts and promotions over the past few months and continue to do so until the nation sees a rise in visitors, and a boost in tourism.
Plans to development and upgrade Mauritius's international airport and cruise-liner terminal, costing nearly half a billion dollars, are already underway and the island is hoping to double the number of visitor arrivals by 2015 to two million.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Join the party spirit at Tamassa, a lively resort where you can chill in a hammock, watch a movie on the beach at dusk, and leave life's stresses a million miles away
- Enjoy a wide variety of water sports and activities including windsurfing, kayaking, snorkelling, water skiing, and so much more to do
- Dine in a romantic atmosphere in one of the resorts restaurants with theatrical culinary shows
- free room upgrade to superior room
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Stay at this fabolous resort offering vibrant accommodation with all rooms sea-facing
luxury resort ideal for both couples and families
- Click through for our special Honeymoon Offers
- Located on the Bel Ombre's beach the resort is offering own nature reserve to explore
- Guests can benefit from a daily free green fees, mini bar in each room, or the fabulous spa treatments including one free 45-minute spa treatment per person per stay
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Located on the sandy beach of the north-west coast of Mauritius, Les Cocotiers enjoys a close proximity to the island's...
Located in a small village on the Northern coast of Mauritius, Hibiscus Beach Resort and Spa is a dream destination for...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...