Nine percent decrease in Mauritius visitor numbers during 2009
The luxury paradise island of Mauritius has seen a decrease of visitors this year as the ongoing global recession has affected the habits of consumer spending worldwide, particularly in the luxury holiday and travel industry.
The number of travellers taking Mauritius holidays fell between January and October 2009 by 9 percent, compared to the same time in 2008.
The decline in visitors taking holiday in Mauritius, a luxury Indian Ocean travel destination, is thought to be due to the global economic situation with fewer travellers splashing out on luxury Mauritius hotels and luxury resort packages.
The Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) announced the disappointing figures last week stating that the picturesque travel destination saw 689,082 visitors this year compared to 757,688 visitors taking business trips or Mauritius holidays in 2008.
The MTPA announcement said:
"France and Reunion are the only markets to maintain an upward trend. They progressed by 3.2 percent and 7.4 percent respectively."
Located in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius is famous for its white pristine beaches, rows of palm trees, sparkling turquoise waters, clear blues skies, warm temperatures, and luxury accommodation, indulgent spas, and the original home of the now extinct Dodo.
As the recession spread throughout the world, the Indian Ocean region has carried out an invigorating marketing campaign in a bid to attract more visitors to take Mauritius holidays and visit the surrounding islands. Hotels and resorts offered generous discounts and promotions over the past few months and continue to do so until the nation sees a rise in visitors, and a boost in tourism.
Plans to development and upgrade Mauritius's international airport and cruise-liner terminal, costing nearly half a billion dollars, are already underway and the island is hoping to double the number of visitor arrivals by 2015 to two million.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Make the most of the private beach, stunning sea views and a great selection of facilities that help you relieve yourself of the stresses of modern life.
- Revel in complimentary kayaking, glass bottom boating, tennis and more sports
- Enjoy culinary delights that suit all tastes from Mauritian, Asian and International to beach and poolside options
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Mauritius is more than sugar and spice, it's a melting pot of fusion cooking, hospitable islanders and stunning natural surroundings - experience it all at the Intercontinental Mauritius
- Relax & rejuvenate at the Yuj Spa - Inspired by the various local cultural manipulation and wellness practices
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room
- Indulge in a selection of Four Restaurants from Asian Fusion, Indian to Mauritian Cuisine
- Enjoy Evening Entertainment including Dance shows & Music Bands
An Exotic Escape at the beachfront Ambre Hotel in Belle Mare comes at an affordable price - it's too good to resist...
- Watersports includes Wind-surfing, kayaks,laser sails, glass-bottom boat trips and snorkelling
- Free Golf Included in your Holiday at Le Touessrok
- Excellent kids club with fun programmes for the little one open twelve hours a day
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Long Beach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
A mix of colonial heritage and contemporary design with tropical accents, The Ravenala Attitude is the first 4-star,...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
With a private beachfront in the beautifully landscaped resort of Bel Ombre, Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort provides...