Americans want the right to travel to Cuba freely
American citizens are hoping that the policy banning United States citizens travelling to Cuba for reasons other than Cuba holidays, business, and limited trips, will be lifted after the proposal is brought to Congress for discussion.
ENCASA (Emergency Network of Cuban American Scholars and Artists) is also in support of the proposed changes to the United States – Cuba policy which if successful will allow more U.S citizens to travel to Cuba freely, rather than just on occasional Cuba holidays.
A number of academics who make up ENCASA were brought to the United States by their families because it was known as the land of freedom and human rights. Without the freedom to travel to Cuba, many believe that their basic human rights are being taken away.
The proposal has been brought to Congress and is largely supported by United States citizens as well as Cuban citizens.
Two influential members of Congress recently told a U.S newspaper:
"U.S. law lets American citizens travel to any country on earth, friend or foe - with one exception: Cuba. It's time for us to scrap this anachronistic ban, imposed during one of the chilliest periods of the Cold War."
The policy was enforced in 1963 and since then many U.S citizens have only been able to visit family and friends for limited periods on Cuba holidays. The results of this dated policy have also prevented Cubans and American citizens from having direct contact and which has led to a lack of sharing of important values and cultural relations.
If the ban was to be lifted, the Caribbean region would most likely see a significant increase in travellers from the U.S taking holidays in Cuba and local business would benefit from the tourism boost, in particular Cuba hotels, attractions, restaurants, and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...