Americans want the right to travel to Cuba freely
American citizens are hoping that the policy banning United States citizens travelling to Cuba for reasons other than Cuba holidays, business, and limited trips, will be lifted after the proposal is brought to Congress for discussion.
ENCASA (Emergency Network of Cuban American Scholars and Artists) is also in support of the proposed changes to the United States – Cuba policy which if successful will allow more U.S citizens to travel to Cuba freely, rather than just on occasional Cuba holidays.
A number of academics who make up ENCASA were brought to the United States by their families because it was known as the land of freedom and human rights. Without the freedom to travel to Cuba, many believe that their basic human rights are being taken away.
The proposal has been brought to Congress and is largely supported by United States citizens as well as Cuban citizens.
Two influential members of Congress recently told a U.S newspaper:
"U.S. law lets American citizens travel to any country on earth, friend or foe - with one exception: Cuba. It's time for us to scrap this anachronistic ban, imposed during one of the chilliest periods of the Cold War."
The policy was enforced in 1963 and since then many U.S citizens have only been able to visit family and friends for limited periods on Cuba holidays. The results of this dated policy have also prevented Cubans and American citizens from having direct contact and which has led to a lack of sharing of important values and cultural relations.
If the ban was to be lifted, the Caribbean region would most likely see a significant increase in travellers from the U.S taking holidays in Cuba and local business would benefit from the tourism boost, in particular Cuba hotels, attractions, restaurants, and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...