Americans want the right to travel to Cuba freely
American citizens are hoping that the policy banning United States citizens travelling to Cuba for reasons other than Cuba holidays, business, and limited trips, will be lifted after the proposal is brought to Congress for discussion.
ENCASA (Emergency Network of Cuban American Scholars and Artists) is also in support of the proposed changes to the United States – Cuba policy which if successful will allow more U.S citizens to travel to Cuba freely, rather than just on occasional Cuba holidays.
A number of academics who make up ENCASA were brought to the United States by their families because it was known as the land of freedom and human rights. Without the freedom to travel to Cuba, many believe that their basic human rights are being taken away.
The proposal has been brought to Congress and is largely supported by United States citizens as well as Cuban citizens.
Two influential members of Congress recently told a U.S newspaper:
"U.S. law lets American citizens travel to any country on earth, friend or foe - with one exception: Cuba. It's time for us to scrap this anachronistic ban, imposed during one of the chilliest periods of the Cold War."
The policy was enforced in 1963 and since then many U.S citizens have only been able to visit family and friends for limited periods on Cuba holidays. The results of this dated policy have also prevented Cubans and American citizens from having direct contact and which has led to a lack of sharing of important values and cultural relations.
If the ban was to be lifted, the Caribbean region would most likely see a significant increase in travellers from the U.S taking holidays in Cuba and local business would benefit from the tourism boost, in particular Cuba hotels, attractions, restaurants, and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 20th Sep
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...