Cuba holidays for Jazz Lovers as JoJazz Festival Kicking Off Next Week
This year's edition of Cuba's JoJazz competition will take place in several Havana venues from 26-29 November.As usual the festival will be featuring performances by the country's latest crop of young musicians who battle it for the winning prize
Lovers of good Latin jazz and travel enthusiasts with a passion for music should hurry to book Cuba holidays for next week as the JoJazz Competition Festival kicks of in the Cuban capital as off from 26-29 November 2009.
This year’s JoJazz competition will be held at various Havana venues with the opening concert and ceremony taking place at the Amadeo Roldan Theatre. And like every year, this is the place where the best of Cuba’s freshest crop of musicians come to battle it out to win the grand prize: a financed record with the production company of Cuba’s famous pianist and Grammy-winning Chucho Valdes, the king of Latin jazz.
This is the event that brings together the best of young Cuban jazz newcomers, the best and freshest compositions and performances island-wide. The promotion of the careers of the participating young musical virtuosos has become a tradition with JoJazz that keeps many hopeful musicians working hard each year to qualify for the competition. The event is also a favourite for the capital’s musicians and students in general, and draws a sizeable local and foreign audience, many of which come on Cuba holidays just to be present at the event and enjoy the local talent.
And this year there is a particular 23-year-old young promise, who we have our eyes set on. Denis Carbón might look too young to be 23. He also might look too frail and skinny to be able to play his saxophone for such a long time. But what he demonstrates is that appearance is not always reality —all one has to do is listen to his melodies of elegance and youthful passion. Prior to the competition, we caught up with Denis in Havana to talk a bit about his craft.
Where did you study?
First at the Manuel Saumell Music School, and then I graduated from the Amadeo Roldan Conservatory, where I studied alto and baritone sax.
What category are you competing in?
In composition, with a piece titled “Pensamiento.”
What inspired you to compose it?
I’m fan of the Yellow Jackets, but that type of music isn’t played much here. Still, I want to play it to see where it takes me. I’m a little romantic; I like combining jazz with other softer melodies. I hope to form my own group. I already have several compositions, not just “Pensamiento.”
What do you expect from the competition?
I don’t know. I’ve never participated. The competition is fierce; there are lots of contestants and a lot of high-quality work.
What has it been like to work with Rembert Duharte?
I have been playing with him for a year. After doing my military service I became a member of the group Nautilus. It’s been a great experience. I’d never played in a jazz group, which had always been my dream. My expectations are greater now. I want to form my own group and experience new things.
Do you have a name for your project yet?
No, I’m just beginning in JoJazz. We’ll see if it takes me on to something else.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...