Cuba holidays for Jazz Lovers as JoJazz Festival Kicking Off Next Week
This year's edition of Cuba's JoJazz competition will take place in several Havana venues from 26-29 November.As usual the festival will be featuring performances by the country's latest crop of young musicians who battle it for the winning prize
Lovers of good Latin jazz and travel enthusiasts with a passion for music should hurry to book Cuba holidays for next week as the JoJazz Competition Festival kicks of in the Cuban capital as off from 26-29 November 2009.
This year’s JoJazz competition will be held at various Havana venues with the opening concert and ceremony taking place at the Amadeo Roldan Theatre. And like every year, this is the place where the best of Cuba’s freshest crop of musicians come to battle it out to win the grand prize: a financed record with the production company of Cuba’s famous pianist and Grammy-winning Chucho Valdes, the king of Latin jazz.
This is the event that brings together the best of young Cuban jazz newcomers, the best and freshest compositions and performances island-wide. The promotion of the careers of the participating young musical virtuosos has become a tradition with JoJazz that keeps many hopeful musicians working hard each year to qualify for the competition. The event is also a favourite for the capital’s musicians and students in general, and draws a sizeable local and foreign audience, many of which come on Cuba holidays just to be present at the event and enjoy the local talent.
And this year there is a particular 23-year-old young promise, who we have our eyes set on. Denis Carbón might look too young to be 23. He also might look too frail and skinny to be able to play his saxophone for such a long time. But what he demonstrates is that appearance is not always reality —all one has to do is listen to his melodies of elegance and youthful passion. Prior to the competition, we caught up with Denis in Havana to talk a bit about his craft.
Where did you study?
First at the Manuel Saumell Music School, and then I graduated from the Amadeo Roldan Conservatory, where I studied alto and baritone sax.
What category are you competing in?
In composition, with a piece titled “Pensamiento.”
What inspired you to compose it?
I’m fan of the Yellow Jackets, but that type of music isn’t played much here. Still, I want to play it to see where it takes me. I’m a little romantic; I like combining jazz with other softer melodies. I hope to form my own group. I already have several compositions, not just “Pensamiento.”
What do you expect from the competition?
I don’t know. I’ve never participated. The competition is fierce; there are lots of contestants and a lot of high-quality work.
What has it been like to work with Rembert Duharte?
I have been playing with him for a year. After doing my military service I became a member of the group Nautilus. It’s been a great experience. I’d never played in a jazz group, which had always been my dream. My expectations are greater now. I want to form my own group and experience new things.
Do you have a name for your project yet?
No, I’m just beginning in JoJazz. We’ll see if it takes me on to something else.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...