Cuba holidays for the Arts Collector with 8th Havana Auction
Last week a major art auction took place at Havana's National hotel while many other street venues celebrated the 8th edition of Havana Auction by displaying original paintings and quality replicas of famous Cuban artists
Art lovers on Cuba holidays last week were treated to a unique and exclusive exhibition that not only took place at the official auctioning site in the Nacional hotel, but that continued across many Havana streets, art shops and workshops.
This year’s 8th edition of Havana Auction (Subasta Habana) didn’t come down to exclusive commercial purposes as it provided some pleasant surprises, present not only at the place where the official main auction took place, bur rather all around the capital.
For the first time in Havana Auction’s 8-year-old history, 25 lots of decorative arts were up for auction, which were made up of different objects and signatures recognised in the market of this specialty and which were exhibited in the Sancti Spíritus hall of Cuba's Hotel Nacional. The 45 lots of Cuban art brought together 35 artists of different generations in expressions of painting, sculpture, drawing and photography.
Standing out on this occasion was the presence of artists from the Cuban avant-garde style such as Mariano Rodríguez, René Portocarrero, Víctor Manuel, José M. Mijares and Mario Carreño, the latter achieving great results in recent international auctions for the prices of his works. “Televisión aerials” (1950), in oil on manzonite, authenticated by his widow Ida González de Carreño, figures among the lots that are offered in Havana.
Another revelation of this bid is the debut in auctions by essential creators of national plastic arts such as Esteban Chartrand (19th century),Loló Soldevilla and Teodoro Ramos Blanco. Contemporary art was represented with pieces by Roberto Fabelo, Yoan Capote, Roberto Diago, Manuel Mendive, Moisés Finalé, Carlos Quintana, Esterio Segura, René Peña, Adonis Flores, Cirenaica Moreira, among others. A special section is dedicated to a small group of artists from the decade of the 1980s, in which is included Juan Francisco Elso Padilla, Tomas Esson, Leandro Soto, Segundo Planes and Humberto Castro.
And for those on Cuba holidays who didn’t budget to splash big cash on artworks the streets offered much affordable replicas and originals by local artists. All commercial galleries of the capital arranged in their spaces works selected according to the importance of this program. The annual meeting of Havana Auction, organised with collectors, artists, dealers and admirers of national plastic artists, is also a meeting with Cuban art and its protagonists.
The five days auction festival presented a meticulous and attractive selection of works from the avant-garde to the contemporary period and culminated with the usual vocal Auction that took place on on November 11th, 2009
Furthermore, The Cuban Fund of Cultural Goods presented, in its own spaces Collage Habana, Orígenes, 23 y 12 and Galería Galiano, an important selection of contemporary artists from the capital and from other provinces.
The Genesis company was also showing in the downtown La Acacia gallery an important selection of avant-garde and academy works in the exposition Laderas. La Casona, as the core promoter of the most contemporary Cuban art, exhibits throughout their spaces a selection of planimetric and tridimensional works called Cronos. Standing out were photographic works,made from the decade of the 1980s up to the present time.
And last but not least, the Servando gallery was the only place reserved for an individual exhibition and welcomed the well-known Cuban creator Raúl Cordero. The exhibition, entitled Hendrikje, displayed his most recent work for the viewing pleasure of many art lovers lucky enough to be enjoying Cuba holidays at the time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...