Cuba Holidays Celebrate Havana's 490th Birthday with Locomotives Exhibition
Four exceptionally well preserved locomotives which are each over 100-years-old are being showcased in Havana to celebrate the city's birthday along with other 23 of them of which 6 will be exhibited in a park and one will give tour trips along the port
For the delight of many culture-hungry tourists on Cuba holidays and to celebrate Havana’s 490 years as a city full of history and old age glamour, old treasures are being dug out and restored to be showcased at various points in the capital.
A unique selection of locomotive relics that have been well preserved over the years as priceless time pieces are being exhibited on a unique outdoor museum to commemorate Havana being the first city in Latin America to have this transportation system.
Opening today, 17th November 2009 on the especially designated outdoor park section of a new museum that will also inaugurated today as part of the celebrations of the founding of Havana as a city, the unique collection is set to attract engineering lovers and many curious street wanderers on Cuba holidays. The careful preservation work and transportation of the locomotives from all around the country to Havana has been carried out by the Monument Restoration Enterprise that belongs to the City’s Historian Office (OHC) an office in charge of looking after the capital’s care and restoration projects to improve the appeal of Havana holidays.
Eloy Bueno, the work’s supervisor, told ACN that this new restoration investment for old locomotives and the creation of its own unique museum in Havana is part of the efforts to preserve the patrimonial values of railways in Cuba, the first Latin American country to officially start using this modern mode of transportation, that was the latest in technology at the time.
Bueno went on to add that this unique exhibition showcases 4 unique steam locomotives that are over-100-years-old, including the 1878 Baldwin locomotive that shows its original number 1112, which was used on the making of the movie on Cuban National Hero Jose Marti, by Fernando Perez.
For insightful Cuba holidays into the world of locomotion this will be a great exhibit not to miss with one of the old locomotives going back to life and offering tours along the Port Avenue.
Architect Yaniset Castillo pointed out that after the reorganisation of the sugar industry in Cuba a couple of years ago, the OHC located and organised over 40 steam locomotives around the country in order to preserve them and show them in museums. And the time has finally come for a new museum to exhibit them much to the delight of many history lovers and culture-thirsty visitors on Cuba holidays.
At the moment 23 of them have been brought to Havana, out of which 6 will be exhibited in this park while one will give tour trips on the Port’s Avenue.
On 16th November 2009, Havana holidays celebrated the city’s 490 anniversary with the OHC gathering havanians, visitors on Cuba holidays and local authorities to pay homage to it.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...