Cuba Holidays Celebrate Havana's 490th Birthday with Locomotives Exhibition
Four exceptionally well preserved locomotives which are each over 100-years-old are being showcased in Havana to celebrate the city's birthday along with other 23 of them of which 6 will be exhibited in a park and one will give tour trips along the port
For the delight of many culture-hungry tourists on Cuba holidays and to celebrate Havana’s 490 years as a city full of history and old age glamour, old treasures are being dug out and restored to be showcased at various points in the capital.
A unique selection of locomotive relics that have been well preserved over the years as priceless time pieces are being exhibited on a unique outdoor museum to commemorate Havana being the first city in Latin America to have this transportation system.
Opening today, 17th November 2009 on the especially designated outdoor park section of a new museum that will also inaugurated today as part of the celebrations of the founding of Havana as a city, the unique collection is set to attract engineering lovers and many curious street wanderers on Cuba holidays. The careful preservation work and transportation of the locomotives from all around the country to Havana has been carried out by the Monument Restoration Enterprise that belongs to the City’s Historian Office (OHC) an office in charge of looking after the capital’s care and restoration projects to improve the appeal of Havana holidays.
Eloy Bueno, the work’s supervisor, told ACN that this new restoration investment for old locomotives and the creation of its own unique museum in Havana is part of the efforts to preserve the patrimonial values of railways in Cuba, the first Latin American country to officially start using this modern mode of transportation, that was the latest in technology at the time.
Bueno went on to add that this unique exhibition showcases 4 unique steam locomotives that are over-100-years-old, including the 1878 Baldwin locomotive that shows its original number 1112, which was used on the making of the movie on Cuban National Hero Jose Marti, by Fernando Perez.
For insightful Cuba holidays into the world of locomotion this will be a great exhibit not to miss with one of the old locomotives going back to life and offering tours along the Port Avenue.
Architect Yaniset Castillo pointed out that after the reorganisation of the sugar industry in Cuba a couple of years ago, the OHC located and organised over 40 steam locomotives around the country in order to preserve them and show them in museums. And the time has finally come for a new museum to exhibit them much to the delight of many history lovers and culture-thirsty visitors on Cuba holidays.
At the moment 23 of them have been brought to Havana, out of which 6 will be exhibited in this park while one will give tour trips on the Port’s Avenue.
On 16th November 2009, Havana holidays celebrated the city’s 490 anniversary with the OHC gathering havanians, visitors on Cuba holidays and local authorities to pay homage to it.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...