Cuba holidays celebrating Havana's 490th Anniversary
To celebrate the capital's birthday as it nears its 5th century of existence, Havana dresses in festive colours as the city prepares a range of events to mark this year's 490th anniversary in full flair
On 16th November 2009 the queen of Cuban cities and the country’s capital of Havana will turn 490 years old. To mark this important event the city will dress in festive colours with a diverse range of cultural activities planned to honour the nearly 5 centuries old Havana and its impeccable reputation of enchanting visitors through the years with its old-age glamour and mystical colonial allure.
Those lucky to be enjoying Cuba holidays in Havana next week will be able to take part in the many public parties and festivals planned when artists inspired by Cuban literature and theatrical characters will liven up the streets of the city’s main historic sites to honour the 490th Anniversary of its foundation.
Starting on the morning of November 16, which marks the anniversary of the renowned Cuban (and particularly Havanian) novel "Cecilia Valdes", the book’s main character "Cecilia" will wander around city squares and parks to make the city’s old history come to life and help onlookers and passers-by reminisce of a bygone era. For the delight of camera-ready tourists on Havana holidays she might stop to strike a pose
Other famous characters that have graced Havana streets throughout time including the peculiar "Caballero de Paris" (The Knight of Paris), slaves and women from the colonial times will also come to live, said Jose Perejil, one of the organisers of the festivities.
For a real authentic Cuban feel during your Cuba holidays in Havana there will also be concerts of "Habaneras", a typical music genre, with the participation of Maria Eugenia Barrios and Barbara Llanes are among the scheduled events. But this is not all there is for music lovers and those wanting to sample the most original and genuine of old Cuban music during their Cuba holidays, as there will also be a jazz concert to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Benny More"s birth.
During the week’s celebrations, the book "La Habana, Ciudad Azul" (Havana, A Blue City) by Cuban writer Julio Rensoli will also be launched.
Artist lovers on Cuba holidays during this week will be able to delight in a special painting exhibition based on erotic poems by Cuban late writer Luis Rogelio Nogueras (1944-1985).
The week-long birthday program entitled “Nobel Havana” will also include a film week dedicated to moviemaker Enrique Pineda Barnet on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of his film "La Bella del Alhambra", (The Beauty of the Alhambra), one of Cuba’s most emblematic and dearly remembered films inspired by Miguel Barnet's novel "Canción de Rachel" (A Song to Rachel)…a true classic for those cinematically curious on Cuba holidays.
And to close the festivities after a week of celebrations, a special gala with characters from theatre works such as "Andoba" and "Santa Camila de la Habana Vieja" will take place.
So if you’re all booked and ready to go to your Cuba holidays in Havana next week, don’t forget to leave your birthday wishes and check out the activities of Nobel Havana, offering visitors the enchantment of Havana’s charming architecture and rich culture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...