Cuba holidays celebrating Havana's 490th Anniversary
To celebrate the capital's birthday as it nears its 5th century of existence, Havana dresses in festive colours as the city prepares a range of events to mark this year's 490th anniversary in full flair
On 16th November 2009 the queen of Cuban cities and the country’s capital of Havana will turn 490 years old. To mark this important event the city will dress in festive colours with a diverse range of cultural activities planned to honour the nearly 5 centuries old Havana and its impeccable reputation of enchanting visitors through the years with its old-age glamour and mystical colonial allure.
Those lucky to be enjoying Cuba holidays in Havana next week will be able to take part in the many public parties and festivals planned when artists inspired by Cuban literature and theatrical characters will liven up the streets of the city’s main historic sites to honour the 490th Anniversary of its foundation.
Starting on the morning of November 16, which marks the anniversary of the renowned Cuban (and particularly Havanian) novel "Cecilia Valdes", the book’s main character "Cecilia" will wander around city squares and parks to make the city’s old history come to life and help onlookers and passers-by reminisce of a bygone era. For the delight of camera-ready tourists on Havana holidays she might stop to strike a pose
Other famous characters that have graced Havana streets throughout time including the peculiar "Caballero de Paris" (The Knight of Paris), slaves and women from the colonial times will also come to live, said Jose Perejil, one of the organisers of the festivities.
For a real authentic Cuban feel during your Cuba holidays in Havana there will also be concerts of "Habaneras", a typical music genre, with the participation of Maria Eugenia Barrios and Barbara Llanes are among the scheduled events. But this is not all there is for music lovers and those wanting to sample the most original and genuine of old Cuban music during their Cuba holidays, as there will also be a jazz concert to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Benny More"s birth.
During the week’s celebrations, the book "La Habana, Ciudad Azul" (Havana, A Blue City) by Cuban writer Julio Rensoli will also be launched.
Artist lovers on Cuba holidays during this week will be able to delight in a special painting exhibition based on erotic poems by Cuban late writer Luis Rogelio Nogueras (1944-1985).
The week-long birthday program entitled “Nobel Havana” will also include a film week dedicated to moviemaker Enrique Pineda Barnet on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of his film "La Bella del Alhambra", (The Beauty of the Alhambra), one of Cuba’s most emblematic and dearly remembered films inspired by Miguel Barnet's novel "Canción de Rachel" (A Song to Rachel)…a true classic for those cinematically curious on Cuba holidays.
And to close the festivities after a week of celebrations, a special gala with characters from theatre works such as "Andoba" and "Santa Camila de la Habana Vieja" will take place.
So if you’re all booked and ready to go to your Cuba holidays in Havana next week, don’t forget to leave your birthday wishes and check out the activities of Nobel Havana, offering visitors the enchantment of Havana’s charming architecture and rich culture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...