Cuba holidays celebrating Havana's 490th Anniversary
To celebrate the capital's birthday as it nears its 5th century of existence, Havana dresses in festive colours as the city prepares a range of events to mark this year's 490th anniversary in full flair
On 16th November 2009 the queen of Cuban cities and the country’s capital of Havana will turn 490 years old. To mark this important event the city will dress in festive colours with a diverse range of cultural activities planned to honour the nearly 5 centuries old Havana and its impeccable reputation of enchanting visitors through the years with its old-age glamour and mystical colonial allure.
Those lucky to be enjoying Cuba holidays in Havana next week will be able to take part in the many public parties and festivals planned when artists inspired by Cuban literature and theatrical characters will liven up the streets of the city’s main historic sites to honour the 490th Anniversary of its foundation.
Starting on the morning of November 16, which marks the anniversary of the renowned Cuban (and particularly Havanian) novel "Cecilia Valdes", the book’s main character "Cecilia" will wander around city squares and parks to make the city’s old history come to life and help onlookers and passers-by reminisce of a bygone era. For the delight of camera-ready tourists on Havana holidays she might stop to strike a pose
Other famous characters that have graced Havana streets throughout time including the peculiar "Caballero de Paris" (The Knight of Paris), slaves and women from the colonial times will also come to live, said Jose Perejil, one of the organisers of the festivities.
For a real authentic Cuban feel during your Cuba holidays in Havana there will also be concerts of "Habaneras", a typical music genre, with the participation of Maria Eugenia Barrios and Barbara Llanes are among the scheduled events. But this is not all there is for music lovers and those wanting to sample the most original and genuine of old Cuban music during their Cuba holidays, as there will also be a jazz concert to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Benny More"s birth.
During the week’s celebrations, the book "La Habana, Ciudad Azul" (Havana, A Blue City) by Cuban writer Julio Rensoli will also be launched.
Artist lovers on Cuba holidays during this week will be able to delight in a special painting exhibition based on erotic poems by Cuban late writer Luis Rogelio Nogueras (1944-1985).
The week-long birthday program entitled “Nobel Havana” will also include a film week dedicated to moviemaker Enrique Pineda Barnet on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of his film "La Bella del Alhambra", (The Beauty of the Alhambra), one of Cuba’s most emblematic and dearly remembered films inspired by Miguel Barnet's novel "Canción de Rachel" (A Song to Rachel)…a true classic for those cinematically curious on Cuba holidays.
And to close the festivities after a week of celebrations, a special gala with characters from theatre works such as "Andoba" and "Santa Camila de la Habana Vieja" will take place.
So if you’re all booked and ready to go to your Cuba holidays in Havana next week, don’t forget to leave your birthday wishes and check out the activities of Nobel Havana, offering visitors the enchantment of Havana’s charming architecture and rich culture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...